Installing a new stereo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawaiiTrev

FYI - I’m a newbie
I’ve read countless threads indicating one cannot upgrade the stock stereo on a 2012 Leaf SV - my kids want an amp and a sub. Wondering has annoying considered adding another stand alone stereo to a Leaf? Drawing power from the 12v battery rerouting the door speaker wires, adding sub and amp? Back in the day we used to install in car glove box to hide the fancy new one, keeping the old am ready in the dash...

Thoughts, advise, anything.

There are solutions that will not require all the work of adding a 2nd head unit. You can fit new speakers and add a sub to the existing system. Both of these will improve the sound quality without the need for a whole new install. You're stuck with the stock head unit yes, but you get an upgrade without nearly as much work/complexity.

Be mindful of the power output of the stock head unit. You'll want to know it's per channel output. When shopping for speakers find ones that can be powered at the level the head unit outputs, or as close as possible.

I'd suggest taking a look at https://www.crutchfield.com/ to get started. Their site does a good job showing which parts will fit your vehicle and if fitment requires modification.

I'm currently considering adding a Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD to my wife's 2020 SV +. Not sure if it's more for me or her at this point though. :p

Back