Diagnosis of a Li-ion Battery without key fob?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdventureMuffin

Does anyone know how to diagnose a Li-ion Battery without a key fob, or in my case, the car? I have access to a 2013 battery with 51K miles on it but its out of the car and on the shelf uncharged for several years. Before making a $2700 investment, would like to know what the State of Health is for this battery.

Also, its been rumored that a Nissan 2013 Li-ion Battery that has poor shelf life-i.e. that the battery is no longer any good. Is there any truth to that?

Look forward to thoughts on this

david

First, you need to know that in 2013, Nissan started production of the American-built Leaf "1.5" with the same terrible batteries used in the 2011 and 2012 Japanese-built Leafs. They didn't switch to a better chemistry until April of 2013. Unless you can confirm that this battery is definitely from an April or later build, pass it by.

Now, as to checking it on the shelf, I belief that Dala or one of the other Leaf experts in Europe has a way to do it. Hopefully someone here will come up with that info. In the meantime, I suggest that you consider, and maybe reconsider, this project. Are you looking to use that battery for home power storage, or is it for a Leaf? If it's for a pre-2013 Leaf, I believe that you need an adapter kit. You also need some significant automotive expertise...

hi LeftieBiker,

Thanks for your advice. I will check in as to the month of production. Thank you.

There is a bit of info from Dala on how to make a connector to check a battery sans vehicle, (https://github.com/dalathegreat/Nissan-Leaf-Battery-to-OBD2), but requires a 3 d printer, which is currently beyond my bandwidth.

That being said, there may be someone out there that has made a few of these for sale?

Depending on where you live, there can be plenty of small businesses offering 3D printing services so that's typically not a road block.

This site is basically a registry for 3D printing services, but there are plenty of other options:

https://www.hubs.com/3d-printing/

I used a local 3D printing company to make Dala's grill blocking panels, which I use during the winter months to eek out a few extra kilometers of range.

Back