Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OldManCan said:
Shifting production capacity & attention to Ariya? Is this part of the problem?

At this time there is no timeline or even a mention of a US built Ariya so no. Obviously the new fed's guideline on incentives has hastened their actions but they remain a secret for now. Anyone at the TN plant have any news on that?

No. Its individual parts suppliers and nearly EVERY vehicle being made is having an issue

LeftieBiker said:
I was doing about 16MPH, got hit with fatigue, fell asleep, and woke up the second or third time as I was crossing from the shoulder to a shallow, wooded gully. I made the classic motorcycle mistake of trying to get back up, rather than just stop while descending. Ended up plastered on the road like a dead skunk. The windshield and panniers saved the bike, and my ass, too likely. Well, not my ass, actually. Sadly, not my ass. Or my arms.

My 5 minutes sitting sidesaddle at the computer desk is now up.

Holy Moly!

DaveinOlyWA said:
OldManCan said:
Shifting production capacity & attention to Ariya? Is this part of the problem?

At this time there is no timeline or even a mention of a US built Ariya so no. Obviously the new fed's guideline on incentives has hastened their actions but they remain a secret for now. Anyone at the TN plant have any news on that?

No. Its individual parts suppliers and nearly EVERY vehicle being made is having an issue

Understood. This makes sense.

LeftieBiker said:
I just today have decided that, over-sensitive skin on my arms aside, I'm recovered. So it took me about a month.

You might consider an e-trike, Leftie. My wife has a ridiculously nice Azub Ti-Fly, which is $$$, but you can find a decent trike used, and not ever have to worry about balance. With her balance challenges post-TBI (2 major cycling accidents in the last 8 years, the last about 4 years ago), her days of riding an upright road bike are over.

We are seeing more and more folks out on trikes though. They're heavy, but a hub motor compensates nicely. We're going to upgrade hers to an electric drive next year. We found a demo to help with the budget.

Thanks, but I still balance ok. The issue here was sleep-deprivation-induced narcolepsy. Also, anything lower than a regular bike would put me in the "5000 points" category among the local SUV drivers. And no, a red flag would just make it 10,000 points.

Leaf back in top 20 in Europe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleantechnica.com/2022/09/29/13-of-new-car-sales-in-europe-electric-21-plugins-2/amp/

Now that Leaf listed for fed rebate in remainder of 2022, think they will ramp production for a few months?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Leaf back in top 20 in Europe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleantechnica.com/2022/09/29/13-of-new-car-sales-in-europe-electric-21-plugins-2/amp/

Now that Leaf listed for fed rebate in remainder of 2022, think they will ramp production for a few months?

You would certainly think so with Aryia having no chance of qualifying for the tax credit and the Leaf being sold out pretty much everywhere.

Renault heading for the exits isn't a positive reason to buy a Leaf today perhaps. 0n a positive note our 2016 Leaf has been issue free other the battery pack dying at 25K miles. Now with the 150 mile range 40 kWh pack it should be years before we are back down to the 60 mile range.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oTP6ogBqU7o

LeftieBiker said:
I try not to get my business news from Vikings with head injuries.

In 2020 Carlos did say Nissan would be in bankruptcy court by 2022 but that was before they got $$$$$$ in pandemic funds.

Nissan did so much to launch the EV industry. I'm thankful for our 2016 Leaf SL.

Maybe I am crazy, but it looks like I will be buying a 2023 Leaf SV+ at the end of this month.

I bought a gently used 2019 SL+ back in March. I loved it immediately and my husband quickly became an EV convert. I already had a 2022 VW ID.4 on order, for which nothing much was happening. I placed another order (with a different dealer) to see if anything would happen more quickly. That was a the end of June and in the beginning of August, I got an email to convert to a 2023 VW--I did, and picked the ID.4 with the smaller batteries, so similar to the Leaf. Meanwhile, I cancelled the 2022 VW order.

Then I started calling around to Leaf dealers in the area--this was around Labor Day. One dealer in NH had a Leaf arriving "sometime soon" and took a deposit so I could call it mine. I also put down a deposit with another dealer in Maine but so far, nothing happening with them in terms of a car showing up. Three other dealers in Maine text me every now and then but they also can't give me a date when a car might appear.

The NH dealer says the car is arriving on October 25th or 26th and I could pick it up the day it arrives. Of course, I haven't even seen the car or driven it, but I imagine it is going to be very similar to the 2019 Leaf we already have (and my son's 2020 SL+).

Plus for me for the Leaf (over the ID.4): the 360 camera (I have gotten very used to that) plus "true" e-pedal (also something I have gotten used to). Because it is an SV+, it has cloth seats, but I guess I can learn to live with that. Doesn't have the premium sound but all I do is listen to audiobooks or podcasts.

I know the Leaf uses CHAdeMO charging which I realize could be obsolete in some future time. However, in the 6 months we have owned the 2019 Leaf, we have only charged at home--never anywhere else. So charging is not a huge issue for me. If we were to take a long trip, I'd figure it out and plan the charging stops. If there was an emergency and I had to get somewhere fast, I'd take my daughter's Jetta.

I'm excited. Brand new car, gun metal gray. I am trying to decide if I can live with the odd looking wheels or would I need to replace them? We'll see...

Re: what I am paying: MSRP plus $2500 for the 3M Protection Package. I negotiated that down from $5000, plus I got them to give me an extra $1000 on our trade-in (a 2016 Tiguan) so I have made peace with the extra $$. Nissan financing is 2.5% right now which is less than my credit union or Bank of America. In a different time I might have gotten a better deal, but this works for me. No more buying gas!

LHN said:
Maybe I am crazy, but it looks like I will be buying a 2023 Leaf SV+ at the end of this month.

LHN,

Don't be surprised if the delivery gets moved back several times. I have a deposit on the same color and configuration 2023 SV+ since about a month ago. It was originally scheduled to be delivered 9/28 then bumped to 10/7/10-12 and most recently to 11/14.

We have a 2020 SL+ that we negotiated to trade it in. After the $7.500 tax credit the total cost out of pocket will be about $600

I also have a Tesla Model Y on order originally forecasted to be manufactured 12/7, now its pushed to April 2023

I also have a Ford F350 on order since December 2nd, 2021 of last year. The production date for that truck went from 10/24/22 to 10/31/22 to 11/14/22

Strange times for sure!

Yes, the delivery has already been changed multiple times: 3 different dates in September, then Oct 4, Oct 17, and now Oct 25. I am hopeful that this time we are lucky.

May I ask why you are trading in your 2020 Leaf?

LHN said:
Yes, the delivery has already been changed multiple times: 3 different dates in September, then Oct 4, Oct 17, and now Oct 25. I am hopeful that this time we are lucky.

May I ask why you are trading in your 2020 Leaf?

I’m trading because after all fees, taxes and tax credits, for a net of $600 I get a 3 model year newer EV with fresh warranty and fresh battery.

Yes I give up Leather and “bose” radio, but I 2 years the 2023 will be 2 years ol, still in warranty vs the 2020 will be 5 years old, and out of basic warranty.

I don’t usually keep cars past warranty period.

The 2020 has been a good car, no issues and it still has a battery SOH of 94.06%. The only expense was $20 for wiper blade inserts and $120 for a wheel alignment. The only reason for the alignment was I wanted to get suspension inspected because. I ran over an armadillo at 60 mph. There was no damage and alignment was pretty good to start with.

LHN said:

I bought a gently used 2019 SL+ back in March. I loved it immediately and my husband quickly became an EV convert. I already had a 2022 VW ID.4 on order, for which nothing much was happening. I placed another order (with a different dealer) to see if anything would happen more quickly. That was a the end of June and in the beginning of August, I got an email to convert to a 2023 VW--I did, and picked the ID.4 with the smaller batteries, so similar to the Leaf. Meanwhile, I cancelled the 2022 VW order.

Then I started calling around to Leaf dealers in the area--this was around Labor Day. One dealer in NH had a Leaf arriving "sometime soon" and took a deposit so I could call it mine. I also put down a deposit with another dealer in Maine but so far, nothing happening with them in terms of a car showing up. Three other dealers in Maine text me every now and then but they also can't give me a date when a car might appear.

The NH dealer says the car is arriving on October 25th or 26th and I could pick it up the day it arrives. Of course, I haven't even seen the car or driven it, but I imagine it is going to be very similar to the 2019 Leaf we already have (and my son's 2020 SL+).

Plus for me for the Leaf (over the ID.4): the 360 camera (I have gotten very used to that) plus "true" e-pedal (also something I have gotten used to). Because it is an SV+, it has cloth seats, but I guess I can learn to live with that. Doesn't have the premium sound but all I do is listen to audiobooks or podcasts.

I know the Leaf uses CHAdeMO charging which I realize could be obsolete in some future time. However, in the 6 months we have owned the 2019 Leaf, we have only charged at home--never anywhere else. So charging is not a huge issue for me. If we were to take a long trip, I'd figure it out and plan the charging stops. If there was an emergency and I had to get somewhere fast, I'd take my daughter's Jetta.

I'm excited. Brand new car, gun metal gray. I am trying to decide if I can live with the odd looking wheels or would I need to replace them? We'll see...

Re: what I am paying: MSRP plus $2500 for the 3M Protection Package. I negotiated that down from $5000, plus I got them to give me an extra $1000 on our trade-in (a 2016 Tiguan) so I have made peace with the extra $$. Nissan financing is 2.5% right now which is less than my credit union or Bank of America. In a different time I might have gotten a better deal, but this works for me. No more buying gas!

That sounds good. You'll be set EV wise for several years and by then prices should come down and range should go up best of success.

DougWantsALeaf said:
If you finally get the Leaf and plan to switch out the wheels, I would suggest looking at EV01 rims. Lighter and more aero friendly.

Please tell me more about this? What are EV01 rims?

Also, I am in Maine and wondering about snow tires. Maybe I could get snow tires on different rims and use the 2023 Leaf rims just 6 months of the year? Thoughts anyone? Advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Also, I am in Maine and wondering about snow tires. Maybe I could get snow tires on different rims and use the 2023 Leaf rims just 6 months of the year? Thoughts anyone? Advice is appreciated.

It's definitely better to have a set of dedicated Winter tires on their own rims. Some people get steel 16" rims for this purpose, because both the rims and 16" snow tires are less expensive. You would lose a little ground clearance if you went that route, though.

Back