Locking whilst car is on

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayford12

Hi,
I have a 2014 Leaf.
I do some delivery driving and it would be really handy to leave the car 'running', leave the car and lock it for the short time I am away from the car.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

LeftieBiker said:
Welcome. If you have the key fob on you, and no second fob is in the car, then you can do just that.

Are you sure? I thought doing that just resulted in the car locking and then immediately unlocking?? I know that's the way it is on my other non-Leaf Nissan and I thought the Leaf was the same. On my other Nissan the only way to lock the car with it running was to use the physical key.
EDIT-my above is incorrect, you can indeed use the remote to lock the car whilst it's running, you can also use the physical key. You cannot use the remote to lock my NV-200, you must use the physical key.

I know for sure that you can leave it running with no key. I think that you can also lock it if no key is inside while it's running, but I'm not positive of that.

Ok, I just verified it with my car. At least with the '21 Leaf, you can indeed lock it up while it's running and walk away. It will stay running, and it will stay locked. There can't be a key left in the car, as I already noted.

My 2013 also stays locked, with the car is ready mode. However, I did tweak the door lock settings with LeafSpy Pro long ago, so perhaps that's not the stock setting.

The only door lock settings of which I'm aware are the speeds at which it locks and unlocks automatically, and whether it has to be in Park or not to unlock. I did change mine to unlock the car in Park.

nissan-leaf-battery-scan-with-leaf-spy-pro-5-638.jpg

The "Auto Unlock" -> "All Doors - Ign ON->OFF" setting looks promising.

Ayford12 said:
Hi,
I have a 2014 Leaf.
I do some delivery driving and it would be really handy to leave the car 'running', leave the car and lock it for the short time I am away from the car.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Dan
As others noted, this can be done. I do this frequently to keep A/C running if I am only parking for a few minutes since it is easier than using the EV Connect application on my phone to start climate control remotely. The 2011, 2015, and 2019 all worked the same way. I usually lock/unlock the doors with the button on the handle (key fob stays in my pocket). The dash will indicate something to the effect of "key not detected" after you get out and lock the door. The dash display will return to normal after you unlock the car and get in. I always check to confirm doors are locked by pulling on the door handle after locking before walking away.

GerryAZ said:
The dash will indicate something to the effect of "key not detected" after you get out and lock the door. The dash display will return to normal after you unlock the car and get in. I always check to confirm doors are locked by pulling on the door handle after locking before walking away.

I'm glad it does that because it discourages people with bad thoughts from getting any funny ideas, although we all know here what you can actually do here, I never tell anyone and always tell me wife to never tell someone that you can still drive it like that. :cool:

I've had several times in recent years when some "would be thieves" tried to steal my Leaf while it was locked and running. They pulled up in an out of state car and ran around it trying to find an "unlocked" door to get in. When they saw the dash "key not detected", they ran away after that. Security through obscurity sure is, but effective none the less. :oops:

Ayford12 said:
Hi,
I have a 2014 Leaf.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Yep. Just hit the button on the door handle. Do it ALL the time.

Back