New battery, now no heat

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livemeyer

Hello,

These are probably unrelated, but let me explain why I think they might be. Some background first: My 2011 Leaf, brought home May 31, 2011, had its first 12v service battery replaced under warranty in 2013. About 6 months ago, the car started exhibiting non-start issues, which I knew to be the 12v battery having aged out and needing replacement. I charged it with a 12v Craftsman charger at home once or twice before finally replacing it in September with a new 12v battery from Costco.

Afterward, I noticed the driver's window would auto-down, but not auto-up. Mentally, I was trying to recall: has it always done auto-down only? Or is now issue that I need to troubleshoot?

And NOW, today, the heater stopped working. This might be a stand-alone issue, which I now need to troubleshoot and I have no idea where to begin. From some reading I've done on here, it appears that it's common for the heater to fail on these, although it seems more common that the 2013-14 models more commonly have issues.

I'm hoping the heater issue is a simple fix maybe related to the battery replacement where maybe something needs to be reset. Add in the possibly weird behavior of the auto window and that's got me thinking this is all tied together. Or, possibly not. I'm looking for input on what next steps to take.

Thanks in advance.

- Dave

Unfortunately, there is no rational connection between the 12v battery and the (resistance) heater...and the repair of that heater (a common problem among early Leafs) is usually very expensive.
Don't shoot the messenger.

I agree that the heater is probably coincidence but I think the window does have an adaptation that was probably lost when the battery was replaced.

I can't remember the details but try holding the window switch for a few seconds after the window has completely shut. If that doesn't help search the forums for the proper technique.

As for the heater, they can be replaced and used parts are available. The 2011-2012 heaters are completely different than the 2013+ units so be sure to remember that when looking into it.

Thank you Stanton and Goldbrick. I think I will take it to the Nissan dealer for repair, but if it's over $2k will probably refuse it. Might be time to trade it in for a newer one. Maybe a Nissan dealer will take it on trade and do the repair before resale.

The 2011 does have auto up/down on the driver door window. To reset/reprogram it: Open the window and hold the button for a few seconds after it is fully open. Then close the window and hold the button for a few seconds after it is fully closed.

Regarding the cabin heater, it is a small electric water tank heater and they have been known to fail. There is also a small circulating pump, temperature sensors, and other HVAC controls involved. Diagnostic trouble codes may offer some assistance in troubleshooting the heater. The heating element itself would not be affected by failure of the 12V battery, but there is a possibility that something happened to the controls.

UGH. Worst case scenario. I took it to the dealer, they didn't mention a $175 service fee just to look at the car when I called to schedule. Then, after looking at the car they tell me the codes read that the PTC heater is faulty, but that they don't have the part, Nissan no longer makes it and I would have to source a used one. From videos I have seen, this is a complicated R&R, not something I really want to take on in my front driveway. They did mention that it is throwing some other codes but that they cannot actually troubleshoot those without replacing the heater first. Sad to say that a 53,000 mile car driving and operating perfectly gets taken down by a heater unit that they no longer have the part for.

I suggest you obtain LEAF Spy Pro and a suitable Bluetooth OBDII adapter so you can read and clear the DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes). The heater in a 2011 is actually easier to replace than one in a 2013 or later, but I question whether the heater is truly failed. Clearing all of the DTC's, disconnecting/reconnecting the 12V battery, clearing DTC's, and repeating this sequence a couple of times may get rid of the codes that are causing the heater to not function. Make sure the 12V battery is fully charged before starting this code clearing process.

IIRC, it is also possible that the large, buried fuse for the heater has blown. That often still means a bad heater, but, again IIRC, it sometimes means you just need a new fuse installed. One thing we learn pretty quickly is "Don't take the dealership's word as gospel." Their mode of operation is to replace large assemblies until the problem - or the customer - goes away. They have little interest in sub-assemblies.

Absolutely baffling that a common failure part is no longer being manufactured for a ten year old vehicle. Hopefully some third party can pick up the slack where Nissan fails.

Dala has a good video about the PTC heater replacement on his channel and I seem to recall he has the earlier ZE0: https://youtu.be/JWADFyq2jpI
In the description of that video there is also a link to another video where the fuse is replaced first - I would try that as the next step if DTC clearing fails as someone else mentioned.

Back