Blink Software Updated to 2.1.20130801 on Aug. 8

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPWhite said:
This thread is awesome. Since carcharging group have not contacted me about a maintenance plan as they promised, looks like its DIY from here on in.
Did your Blink die?
I haven't seen anything about maintenance plan either.
Mine could die any time.
Was replaced about 22 months back by contractor when they found heat damage on power cables inside unit while fixing the wiring deficiencies.
Been reliable since but could still have bad Rema crimps or die from corrupted SD card.
I should send the 110V unit to Phil for upgrade so I would have a back-up.

TimLee said:
JPWhite said:
This thread is awesome. Since carcharging group have not contacted me about a maintenance plan as they promised, looks like its DIY from here on in.
Did your Blink die?
I haven't seen anything about maintenance plan either.
Mine could die any time.
Was replaced about 22 months back by contractor when they found heat damage on power cables inside unit while fixing the wiring deficiencies.
Been reliable since but could still have bad Rema crimps or die from corrupted SD card.
I should send the 110V unit to Phil for upgrade so I would have a back-up.

No problems so far. Yes you should get the EVSEUpgrade done. I got the patch cable that fits the plug the Blink in plugged into, so I can switch if the unit should ever fail unexpectedly and continue L2 charging at home.

I have saved some of the info here to my Google Drive for retrieval should something go wrong. If I get a LEAF with a 6.6kWh charger I may want to go into maintenance mode and drop it to 16A to prevent any potential overheating. I won't mess with it now, if it ain't broke....

Can someone post instructions on how to reformat and reinstall the image onto the SD card using windows?

xeroiv said:
Can someone post instructions on how to reformat and reinstall the image onto the SD card using windows?
First, I would recommend using SD Formatter (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to completely erase the SD card (click on Options, and choose On under Format Size Adjustment).

Then you should be able to use Win32 Disk Imager (http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/files/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to write the IMG file to the SD card.

I haven't personally tried this, but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work... :D

Thanks so much for providing this DarkStar! Got a Blink that I bought from someone local up and going. The SD card had completely failed.

Wow old thread but worth a post.

Just bought one of these with the display not booting. I had remembered an old issue I had with some Linux devices several years ago. What would happen is if the unit did not get shutdown correctly the "dirty bit" on the HDD would get set and then it would not boot. The dirty bit gets set as a sort of warning that the drive may be corrupt but not that it is actually corrupt. Some devices will still try to boot with this bit set others just stop and seems the Blink sees the bit set and stops booting. Remember the old days if you did not shutdown Windows you got the continue booting or run disk check.

So a quick way to set the bit back is just to run a disk check. While I had the SD in my Mac it was perfectly readable just the bit set. Ran the Mac First Aid (same as check disk or repair) and popped back in the Blink and boom good to go.

So I would say the first thing to do is run a disk check with your PC and try the SD again. If that fails then yes you will have to use the files posted by Darkstar and really thank you for posting the files and manuals.

Oh I should note how this happens. If for any reason the power is interrupted during boot this bit can get set. Example unit is on and there is a power fluctuation the unit goes off then on then off then on and there you have it bit set. So a simple power blip can easy set this bit and then the display will no longer work. Kind of a poor design as the board should just try to boot regardless of if it sees the bit set or check the disk. This would be good for a device like this that removing the SD and doing a disk check is problematic for most customers.

007bond said:
Wow old thread but worth a post.

Just bought one of these with the display not booting. ...
So a quick way to set the bit back is just to run a disk check. ...
So I would say the first thing to do is run a disk check with your PC and try the SD again. ...

Thanks for the great info.
My Blink quit five years ago.
I got lucky and swapped my 120V non-modified convenience charger with someone wanting one for a lease return, and have been using their 240V upgraded convenience charger.
But fixing the SD seems like a likely easy fix when I find time to try it.

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to get a couple of Blink Ecotality EVSE chargers if i simply pay the freight (that have been sitting dormant for many years). Apparently they "don't have the swipe cards". Just wondering what this means? do they have an RFID card feature?

My reading here suggests they only have an SD card? and I see there is a generic image for that?

Also it seems I should open it up and check the CT location and crimps.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

DarkStar said:
I've backed up my SD card that the Blink was reporting as 2.1.20130801. Unfortunately, I can only open the boot partition in Mac OS X so I'm not even really sure what it contains. Hopefully this can help others with development.

To extract onto an SD card, you should be able to use the "dd" command as long as your SD card is at least 2 GB.

https://mega.nz/#F!rAVE0YhR!KjzwSi86OTNgSXErAi0Gbg

Edit: I updated the URL on 04/22/2016 to reflect my repository on the Blink WE-30CIRE, including service manual, installation manual, owner's manual, residential firmware, and maintenance pin.

Hi there sorry to bump a super old necro thread but I have a few of these chargers and this link is long dead. Do you still by change have that firmware? Thanks

Back