Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
palmermd said:
He also indicated that there may be adapters available at the stations, and they may have a way to keep them from being taken from the station.
I'll believe it when I see it, but if Tesla says they can/will make a Tesla -> CCS adapter, then CCS -> Tesla should be on the horizon. We should keep in mind though that CCS1 was not specifically mentioned. And if the Elon comment about preventing theft of an adapter is taken at face value, it would mean that only a subset of Supercharger stations would be enabled since the adapter would have no value other than being used at a Supercharger station.

The future is bright in EV. The timing is blurred.

Adapter would need to have a network ID, so would be trackable every time it was used. So it wouldn't work elsewhere, or perhaps would really really slow, and might just fail to unlock from the car as well.

Stealing one would be ... Trump level stupid.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Guesses on price of adapter. My bet is 1K.
Perhaps. If it was $1000, how many would pay that much to use the Supercharger network? (Plus charging fees, of course.)

The Chademo adapter is $400 (if it ever gets back in stock). So, I would think an adapter to allow use of Superchargers by CCS cars would be somewhat more than that since it would need to have some way to track and report usage for billing purposes.

Not sure how that would work — Tesla cars just report usage the next time they "phone home." Some sort of WiFi or cell phone connection at Supercharger Stations (not all of which are in places that have internet or cell phone access) might be needed. The idea is that the adapter would authorize the charge session and if there was a problem with payment Tesla could just block that adapter ID.

Right

And by making it 1K (or more) most of us Leaf drivers would not buy it, but maybe 2-3K die hards would. Tesla shows its open, makes a little money on the adapter (no technical challenges) and charges us a premium for the electricity to boot as we are slow chargers. You don't want too many Leafs at the stalls. Too much more and it would be called out. Much less and too much noise. Likely those of us buying an adapter become eventual Tesla owners.

I would likely buy 1 for pure convience at a K or less. For the little DC charging I do, the existing infra is enough, but it would offer more choices for the long multi day road trips.

SageBrush said:
palmermd said:
He also indicated that there may be adapters available at the stations, and they may have a way to keep them from being taken from the station.
I'll believe it when I see it, but if Tesla says they can/will make a Tesla -> CCS adapter, then CCS -> Tesla should be on the horizon. We should keep in mind though that CCS1 was not specifically mentioned. And if the Elon comment about preventing theft of an adapter is taken at face value, it would mean that only a subset of Supercharger stations would be enabled since the adapter would have no value other than being used at a Supercharger station.

The future is bright in EV. The timing is blurred.
Most likely it will be a cable firmly attached to the side of the charging station that has a CCS connector on the end and you'd plug the Tesla cable into it. ala EVGO's Tesla plug. Probably no CHADEMO connector though since only 7% of EV's have that connector. EA is discontinuing new CHADEMO everywhere except California. Also the limited range of older EV's makes them impractical for road trips anyway. Tesla already has a European version of a CCS adaptor available for older European Teslas so the software part is done. The physical plug is different from the North American CCS but that's a minor issue. Most likely , Elon wants to keep Tesla tied to the Supercharger system at least in North America.

Both IEVS:
Tesla Hikes Supercharger Rates In Europe Citing Rising Electricity Cost

The company has increased prices by around 12 cents per kilowatt hour.

https://insideevs.com/news/612834/tesla-supercharger-rates-increased-europe/

Tesla recently announced its drivers in Europe that it would be increasing the price of Supercharging on the continent, citing the significantly higher cost of electricity. The war in Ukraine has had a dramatic effect on world natural gas prices, sending electricity prices soaring in Europe, causing mass protests in many countries, and since Tesla Superchargers get most of their electricity from national grids, they were naturally going to be affected too.

The manufacturer said in the brief message sent to owners via email that “due to increased energy prices, we are adjusting Supercharging prices across Europe.” And the new adjusted prices are already in effect, although some areas have been hit harder than others.

Electrek.com calculated that on average prices have gone up by around 12 cents per kWh, bringing the average price to just under 60 cents per kWh. In Germany, though, the increase is more significant - year-over-year, from 31 cents in late August 2021 to 71 cents today, marking a rise of over 90 percent.

This rate applies to Tesla vehicles only, though, and if you want to charge other EVs at a Supercharger in Europe you can now expect to pay over 80 cents per kWh, up from 70 cents before this latest increase. Tesla is offering a €12,99 monthly subscription for non-Tesla owners and that will bring the price they pay roughly in line with Tesla vehicles.

Similar rate increases have also reportedly affected all major charging networks in Europe. For instance, Dutch company Allego, which operates over 750 chargers in Germany, will be upping the price per kWh to 85 cents, although like Tesla (and pretty much all other charging network operators in Europe) it is also offering a subscription that lowers the cost. . . .

Tesla Raises Supercharger Prices In California

Charging is still cheaper than paying for gas, but it's starting to get pricey in some cases.

https://insideevs.com/news/613296/tesla-supercharger-prices-rise-california/

. . . According to Electrek, it wasn't uncommon in the recent past to pay less than $5 to $10 for a full charge at a Tesla Supercharger. Now, following multiple price increases over the last several months, many Tesla Supercharger stations in California are charging $0.50 per kWh at peak times, though there are some that are $0.40 per kWh.

Do the math, and that's $30 to charge a 60 kWh battery pack and $50 to charge a 100 kWh pack. Granted, that $30 to $50 may get you like 250 to 300 miles of range or more. Driving those miles in most gas cars is still going to cost much more, but the cost of a full charge is exponentially higher than it was not long ago.

Based on information from an official Tesla email that was shared on Reddit, the company began changing Supercharger rates in California this week, on Wednesday, September 28. . . .

It'll be interesting to see if EA ups their CA prices from their current $0.43/kWh Pass; $0.31/kWh Pass + (+$4/month).

Tesla to offer CCS charging in exchange for part of the $7.5 billion dollar charging network funding.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/tesla-open-us-charging-network-rivals-75-bln-federal-program-white-house-2023-02-15/

If I'm reading the news correctly, Tesla will outfit 3,500 SuperCharger (SC) connectors to also charge CCS cars by 2025.
Currently there are about 17,000 SC connectors in the USA. Tesla plans to double the SC network by 2025.

So about 10% of the SC connectors in 2025 will be CCS/Tesla enabled

Shoppers celebrate after H-E-B removes Tesla chargers from Montrose store
The Montrose Market store saw congestion around the charging stations, shoppers said
https://www.chron.com/culture/article/texas-heb-tesla-chargers-18462173.php

Too bad. We are usually stuck there for at least 15 minutes usually longer, probably what needs to happen is to put a charger in gas stations or other convenience stores to help encourage us to buy a snack or drink while we wait. I would think this also happens at a grocer to be honest as even there we can run in for something and thus the site can make some money off us EV drivers.

salyavin said:
. . . what needs to happen is to put a charger in gas stations . . .

In my experience, gas stations are the worst place to put chargers. That's because the staff have zero interest in making sure the things work. I don't expect them to actually maintain the EV chargers but they could at least phone for the service rep to get his butt out there and do what's needed.

Toby said:
salyavin said:
. . . what needs to happen is to put a charger in gas stations . . .

In my experience, gas stations are the worst place to put chargers. That's because the staff have zero interest in making sure the things work. I don't expect them to actually maintain the EV chargers but they could at least phone for the service rep to get his butt out there and do what's needed.

My Experience with Tesla chargers in Florida Gas Stations is very positive. I've utilized the WaWa gas stations charging my Teslas multiple times. The chargers are plentiful and normally in the back of the parking lot. Access to the WaWa store through the back door is convenient. The rest rooms are clean and I usually buy a snack or 2 while when charging. Also get to walk the dogs in the grass near the chargers.

Usually the stop is 15 minutes and in that time I can get about 180-200 miles of range added if i arrive with a low battery.

The WaWa also has a sign at the charging stations where you can order food from the store with their app and have it brought out to the car while being charged.

Back