Official Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently the new PHEV won't be much more efficient than the old.......just going off the fact that it's upgraded 20kwh battery is suspected to only go 35 miles while the Rav4 Prime I have on order has a smaller(16+ Kwh battery) yet is rated for almost 40 miles.
Kinda wish the Outlander had been more efficient as to be a better contender to the Prime but it sounds like older technology in it's drivetrain, which is why we ordered the Prime, which after waiting almost a year and a half and we still haven't got it yet :( (although to be fair when we ordered it they said to not expect it for 2 years)

Toyota is right at the cusp of starting to lose its full tax credit. Last I heard they were at 198000 EVs at the end of the quarter but I don't know if that's an official number. I can't remember the phase out timing but it will be starting in a quarter or two. Hope you get your car soon enough, you will love it.

goldbrick said:
Toyota is right at the cusp of starting to lose its full tax credit. Last I heard they were at 198000 EVs at the end of the quarter but I don't know if that's an official number. I can't remember the phase out timing but it will be starting in a quarter or two. Hope you get your car soon enough, you will love it.
Me too although I'm kind of thinking we might not get the full credit :( which kind of sucks as we've finally got enough tax liability to take full advantage of the credit! Back when we got our '13 Leaf we had to leave about $2k on the table due to insufficient liability.

Review: 2023 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV showcases the brand’s best
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1137266_2023-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-test-drive-review

And it's still a gas hog, albeit one with more AER plus a third row of seats only suitable for small children. Unless you really need the latter, why would anyone opt for this over the RAV4 Prime?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Availability could be an advantage as it's a very long wait to get a Rav4 prime right now.

I suppose, if you really, really need to get it soon and you don't mind paying the 12 mpg (EPA combined. 9 mpg EPA HWY) penalty for gas for as long as you have it.

GRA said:
And it's still a gas hog, albeit one with more AER plus a third row of seats only suitable for small children. Unless you really need the latter, why would anyone opt for this over the RAV4 Prime?
Yes, I was really disappointed it had basically the same thirsty ICE and it's not just that, even the EV has to be a fair amount less efficient, that or it has to have a fair amount worse aero design, which is maybe more the case?..... :( I mean it has a larger battery(20Kwh vs the Primes ~17Kw) yet it's range is less :?
To me one of the nicest things about the Prime is you can go 600 miles + on a full tank of gas and battery, the Outlanders full range is 420 miles, a BIG difference(yes of course the Prime has a slightly larger tank).
On the plus side, I'm impressed it has a Heat Pump heater, something I think is very important in a PHEV(even more important than a full EV IMO as your range is so much less) so I hope that's a sign of things to come in all EV variant cars.
The third row really sounds like a joke and I quote the article:
"Even children will have trouble fitting in that third row. If you’re big enough to have your feet on the floor, you’re too big for the third row."
While it does have CHAdeMO QC :lol: it sounds like they cheaped out on L2, 15a for a vehicle with a 20Kwh battery :(
My favorite quote from one of the comment posts:
"That is why Mitsubishi exist.
Because some people insist on making the wrong decision."
:lol:
Don't get me wrong, people could purchase a worse vehicle, most any of the Jeep variants come to mind but myself, I'll still be waiting for my Prime, 2+ years. I did just hear from my dealer, Apparently, my SE is on a ship bound for CA, just have to wait the 1-3 months it's apparently taking to offload them and then the rail journey to MN......I'm guessing we'll get it in the dead of winter(something I didn't really want) and it sounds like I'll be getting one of the last of the 22's :( and the price went up from '20 when I put my deposit down not to mention a sneaky $1k addition as Toyota is no longer offering just the cold weather package as when I ordered it, they now FORCE you to get the damn sunroof if you want a heated steering wheel! oh and ya, $7500 more than I was planning as it will no longer qualify for the tax rebate I was planning on! So while it will be nice to finally retire the '07 Prius, it's going to cost close to $44k or almost $10k more than I was planning for, 2 years ago :cry:
Also note the dealer, while not charging over sticker is adding about $1k in stuff I didn't order, floor mats(which I may have purchased myself for much less) sill guards and related overpriced crap, guess it could be worse.......

Is the awd any good in the Rav4? TFL tested the AWD in the Pruis prime and it failed horribly.

The Outlander engineering is quite different than the other Phevs. Not saying it is better though.

Actually, 38 miles would meet 99% of my wife's driving needs.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Is the awd any good in the Rav4? TFL tested the AWD in the Pruis prime and it failed horribly.

The Outlander engineering is quite different than the other Phevs. Not saying it is better though.

Found this, if that's what you're concerned about:
2021-2022 Toyota RAV4 Prime Review Update #2: Snow and Ice Driving, Pros & Cons

https://carseatblog.com/53732/rav4-prime-long-term-update-2-winter/

Haven't found anything about jeep roads and the like, but then the RAV4 Prime, like most if not all CUVs, was never intended to be so used. Graded dirt & rock or gravel, sure, the Rubicon Trail, no.

DougWantsALeaf said:

Yes the Prius Prime's RWD is extremely underpowered, just there for a minimal amount of power, not enough to drive the car with. Truthfully that's all I'd need AWD for, the occasional icy conditions where otherwise the front wheels would spin and the rear wheels wouldn't be helping at all. Personally, I wouldn't be using it for off-roading so even the Prius's measly rear power would probably be enough. Last I knew though the Prius AWD was not available as a PHEV, only hybrid so one of the reasons for me going with the Rav4.

Wow, almost a half year and no posts to this stellar PHEV ;)
Anyway, it looks like the Nissan refresh has finally come to the Outlander PHEV and while it sounds to be an improvement, I'm still way glad we waited for and got the Rav4 Prime. They had a bit on it on PBS's Motorweek and overall they were quite optimistic but then they showed a photo of the charge port area and happily stated it now had a QC port on the mid-trim and above.......I thought it always did and maybe on all trims.....but anyway it was ChadMo :lol: they didn't mention anything about the QC type but it was ChadMo. It did come with a larger battery giving it just shy of 40 miles EV now, just shy of the Rav4 Prime but no mention of heater type, I'd guess an inefficient resistive heater but not sure. It is a 7-seater for small kids in the back though so maybe a plus for someone who needed the extra couple tiny seats. One advantage though to the resistive heater is you can run in EV mode with heat in single digit temps and colder, the Prime turns on the ICE in such cases as it lacks a resistive heater and only has the efficient but not cold weather tolerant heat pump heater.
I didn't catch if they talked about the ICE MPG but I'm guessing it won't be that good, at least the old one wasn't which was a somewhat large factor in us going with the Prime, that and the fairly small EV range, which they have improved on the new one.\
The price was high IMO, starting low 40s and topping out around $50k but if it's anything like the other Mitsubishis and even the PHEV model for much of it's run, it should be discounted heavily, oh and I'd guess it won't qualify for the US tax credit but most vehicles don't now and neither did our Prime.
For what I'd guess to be $5k more for the Prime paying sticker for both I'd sure go with that, maybe if the savings were double that and cost was the highest priority it might be another story, but in our case, it wasn't. Motorweek was also a bit surprised on the rather steep price but again knowing how they discount Mitsubishis, it may just be a starting point.

So after trying to hint my mother to the new lower priced MYs, she went with the new Outlander. I think she had some hesitation with full ev for her longer road trips. She really wanted 4wd, and the smaller grandchildren sized additional seats were a plus for this over other phevs. Quite a few Outlander phevs available in the midwest for the new model compared to other phevs.

I will report back in her experience in a couple months.

They had a review of the new Outlander PHEV this week on PBS's Motorweek and were quite impressed with it. It's the new version based on the Nissan Rogue? It looks pretty nice and has a fair amount larger battery(>20kWh now) but still is kind of inefficient IMO as with that battery the EV range is still less than our 42-mile Rav4 Prime and the ICE MPG is only in the upper 20s compared to our Prime in the upper 30s.
Sounds like they've dropped QC on all but the top trim and while I personally don't care, the 0-60 is much better than before, now sub 7 seconds I believe compared to above 8 before I believe.
While I think one could do far worse than the Outlander PHEV I also think one can do better, especially if it sells for close to it's sticker which is around the Prime although Mitsubishi's generally sticker for quite a bit less than sticker, at least around here.

The Rav4 primes are still selling for 5K over sticker, where the Outlander can be had for a little below msrp. The difference in EV range is nominal, and no jumper seats as even an option.

Where did you see they were dropping the chademo connectors? (Which markets) I had not heard that, and my mom's SE trim has the connector (ES, SE, SEL, and S-AWC trims).

I will report back on experienced fuel efficiency. I have gotten above 40mpg on medium speed highways (60-65) in my wife's Rogue. I doubt the Outlander will do so well, but if mainly running ev, who cares.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The Rav4 primes are still selling for 5K over sticker, where the Outlander can be had for a little below msrp. The difference in EV range is nominal, and no jumper seats as even an option.

Where did you see they were dropping the chademo connectors? (Which markets) I had not heard that, and my mom's SE trim has the connector (ES, SE, SEL, and S-AWC trims).

I will report back on experienced fuel efficiency. I have gotten above 40mpg on medium speed highways (60-65) in my wife's Rogue. I doubt the Outlander will do so well, but if mainly running ev, who cares.
That's right, I had heard about the "over sticker" on the Rav4 Prime when I picked mine up at the dealer, after 2 years of waiting! I was told if I had ordered it now, they were reserving at more than sticker! Mine actually had a few "dealer" options pushing it a bit over sticker I wasn't exactly happy about but truthfully the weathertech type mats(with Toyota logo on them) were quite nice and I'd have purchased something similar anyway, could have done without the "sill protectors" on the ledge below the hatch and where the bottom of the door meets the rocker panel but it is what it is, as there was a line waiting after me, I didn't have much bargaining abilities.
It was a surprise to me also about Mitsui dropping the Chadmo on lower-trim models, they said in passing on Motorweek that it was still available on the top-trim models. Now they were reviewing the 2023 model so not sure if that made the difference?
Yes I would be interested to see what the hwy MPG is on the new Outlander PHEV. To me upper 30s is kind of a must and truthfully I'd have preferred 40s but I realize these are larger vehicles and 40s are probably asking too much.

Edit-just looked at Mitsubishi.com and see no indication the QC is anything but standard on all the PHEVs, maybe Motorweek misspoke:?

My sister's Rav4 hybrid (not plug in) does mid 30s mpg on the highway, and 40 around town in good weather. I think she is a but more lead footed than me, but I do drive a Leaf..so that's not saying much.

Hopefully I can get a turn to test the Outlander in the highway in a month. Will let you know what my observations are.

So I got to drive mother's new Outlander Phev today. This was the 2nd from the bottom trim I believe with a tech package. Generally overall features are nice including heated seats and all of the lane assist and cameras we have on our SL Rogue. The seats, while not leather, were nicer than fabric.

The car did not have a Chademo. That must only come on the higher end trims. I thought I was standard on all trims, but was wrong.

The ev function is a bit sluggish over 25 mph, but manageable. My mom reports that 40 mules per charge is doable, and GOM sometimes will show 50 miles.

The 3rd row seats aren't not friendly, but usable if all three rows adjust their seating position. My mom and daughter sat in the back for a drive. 5'6" is likely the tallest passenger you want in back.

On the trip from north of Chicago to Wisconsin in eco mode, driving not frugally (>70mph) managed 35.5 mph per dash, which seemed pretty good given epa sticker (battery was at 30% at departure). I am very curious to see how a side by side with the Rogue would do.

The car shares 80% of its interior pieces with the Rogue, and powertrain aside, they feel like sister cars.

Nice writeup Doug, thanks. Yes I agree about the 3rd row and I've read similar things in the press, really for kids only or maybe small adults. For sure not 6' 1' 250 pounders :lol:
And while 35 mpg isn't bad for hwy MPG it was a major factor in going with the Rav4 Prime over the Outlander PHEV for us. For the few road trips we've driven ours so far, we are consistently getting 40+ on ICE only with our Prime and while not nearly as good as 50+ with our Prius, still acceptable for such a large tall vehicle and we've got our Prius up for sale. I guess if the Outlander were $10k cheaper it might have pushed us to the Outlander but at our stage in life we were looking for something we really liked, even if it were a bit more in price and it sounds like so far at least, the Outlander no longer has such a savings. Of course if one was in a hurry, and wanted to pay just sticker, currently you'd have to be very patient to get the Prime, we waited just over 2 years for ours but in the end were probably glad we waited.

Back