Is the 62KwH Leaf Louder?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK... Must be recent change on sales restriction. I got it locally.
Here is a similar product available thru snail mail.

https://www.yourautotrim.com/k701fofaspad.html

Just picked up my 2023 Leaf+ and looking at LeafSpy to turn off those blasted noises this car makes. Curious if any news on updates? I do have TestFlight installed. Will the app automatically update to the last est beta without an invite?

Any word for the Dev? Seems like they were last active here in March.

Thanks.

If you search MNL you'll find somewhere a mention that Nissan disabled changes to forward and reverse sound from being made in LS. Either in 2020 or 2021. I read also if you disconnect the wires the Leaf sets ECU fault codes. I also wouldn't want to overlook the possibility of any repercussions from modifying or disabling an automobile safety feature.

I did read that, but I thought the new version currently in beta, brought it back.

I am all for safety, and I would be fine with the softer ding of my 2019. But the 2023 sound is loud and annoying. Also, most of our city streets are 25MPH, and it makes a loud annoying noise under 25 too. So much so, that I can't looks from people as I drive by.

Tesla's don't have a backup or under 25MPH sound. I don't believe the Bolts or Kias do either. Certainly the Prius doesn't, and any new ICE vehicle is nearly silent when backing up doesn't have this sound. This doesn't seem so much a safety issue but a choice by Nissan to sound "cool".

It annoying and uncalled for. It doesn't have to be loud enough to wake my wife up in the house when I leave in the morning. Hopefully this will be allowed soon. I will reach out to the developer and Nissan.

If all you want is a reduction in the volume, then you can wrap the VSP speakers with something weatherproof. They are located under the front bumper, IIRC on the driver's side.

LeftieBiker said:
Some sort of synthetic cloth with a somewhat loose weave, so that it dries quickly? I seem to recall someone using a pair of socks...

I'm not sure this is a good solution, living in Michigan and getting lots of snow. But, I will give it some thought and see what I can come up with. It would be better than nothing,

Thanks
kc

If only a moderator noticed this off-topic discussion and merged it into its own thread... Oh well. ;)

Let it play out, then I'll move all the OT posts. It would be helpful if someone were to find the existing topic, and give me a link or just the topic number.

Yes, I am unable to turn these sounds off of my 2023 as well, using the latest LeafSpy Beta. They are much louder than my 2019.

Looking into muting the speakers.

The Leaf's electric warning sound had to be removed for cars delivered in the U.K., as the country's law mandates that any hazard warning sound must be capable of being disabled between 11:00 pm and 6:00 am, and the Leaf's audible warning system does not allow for such temporary deactivation.[72] For the 2014 UK model of the car, the VSP system is enabled by default, though a button on the dash permits drivers to disable the system until the next time the car is switched on.
From Wiki

On a recent trip we stopped at several fast charge stations and had ample opportunity to hear a variety of EVs move around. None of the luxury EVs had pedestrian warning noises, either forward or reverse. One Niro had a reasonable sounding back up beeper. Our Leaf makes a racket compared to the others. What surprised me is that the Mustang EVs made no pedestrian warnings even though they are new.

I've been wondering about the +/- manufacturing problem. If we lined up several Leafs, all configured exactly alike, would they all sound equally loud when backing up? Or are some louder than others while still meeting specs? Are the specs sloppy?

Salseiro said:
Hi all. Sorry for a somewhat random question, but is the 62kWh Leaf noticeably louder at low speeds than the 40KwH one? Or is this something I should speak with my dealer about? I apologize if someone already asked this question before, I was unable to find anything.

I turned off ALL my sounds and I can't imagine any car being quieter.

DaveinOlyWA said:
I turned off ALL my sounds and I can't imagine any car being quieter.

Ah, the luxury of electric cars. I'm envious.

The safety issue is real. There is so much noise pollution that it is hard to hear EVs. (I don't know how blind people can navigate a busy parking lot. ) I don't know why there isn't more action against the worst of the noise makers. Instead the push is for EVs to add to the din.

There is no amount of warning that can prevent pedestrians from their own inattention. A friend of ours stepped in front of a truck and was instantly killed. We will never know what he was thinking but he certainly did not look to see if his way was clear.

While recognizing the problem I still think the Leaf's VSP is too loud, especially inside the car.

Back