Update on CEC DCFC Stations in Tehachapi, Mojave, and Inyokern, Calfornia

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulgipe said:
Dan,
What's wrong with that location of the Desert Valleys FCU? It's right on Bus 395 and just up from the Clarion where we stay.
Paul

I have some bad news. I went by this morning and the charger is not what I had been told, it looks like a two headed Lvl 2 Chargepoint. NOT a DC fast charger.

I was told twice it was going to be a CPE250, but I don't see how this is a CPE 250. I'll post an updated photo on plugshare, check it out, and if you concur I'll need to adjust plugshare. Or you can adjust it when you see the photo. I'm a little disappointed; can't be angry, the gentleman I was talking to probably just didn't know the difference between a Lvl2 an a Fast charger. The education level on EVS in the US is still pretty low. :(

Here it is Paul (A CT4021?)

920869.jpg

danrjones said:
I have some bad news. I went by this morning and the charger is not what I had been told, it looks like a two headed Lvl 2 Chargepoint. NOT a DC fast charger.

I was told twice it was going to be a CPE250,

Looks like CT4000

paulgipe said:
Yep, bad news. That's a Level 2.
Paul

Yes... and I looked back through my numerous emails with the gentleman. Several times he said a CPE250, early on he even said "Lvl 3"

Though in his most recent email he had said Lvl 2 CPE250 fast charger.

Either they had to change their plans, or just the proper lingo escaped him, which makes sense, as probably most folks have no idea what Lvl 2 vs Fast charger really means. It would be a real shame if it turned out the credit union thought these were fast chargers, only to find nobody uses them -> because its almost useless for travelers? It depends on whom their target was - if it was for employees, this is just fine.

But if they intended this for travelers, I just don't think they are going to be used as such.

This underscores the need to get a fast charger install going somewhere else, maybe the parks, or one of the shopping centers.

The worst part is that to this day, there are still some people who think that level 2 J1772 is a "fast charger". :( I've seen this in other circles.

cwerdna said:
The worst part is that to this day, there are still some people who think that level 2 J1772 is a "fast charger". :( I've seen this in other circles.

Exactly

It is entirely possible the credit union thought these were fast chargers because they simply didn't know any better. And moving forward they will wonder why nobody ever uses them.

Just a quick update for my region:

The first two Rivian sites have come online in Inyokern and Bishop, CA.
As expected the CCS is locked to Rivian, and the J-1772 Lvl 2's are open to all - apparently "free" for the moment.
People seem surprised that the CCS are locked, more on this down below.

The Chargepoint Lvl2 charger in Ridgecrest at Desert Valley FCU looks complete but not yet operational.

The Chargepoint at Brady's with two DC Fast chargers is running great and has been one of the more reliable charging sites in my area, though a bit slow at 62 kW max.

The EA site in Coso junction has had a number of issues the last month, though appears to be partially online right now. The gas station next to it is still out of commission for services. The Caltrans charger at the rest stop has also had a few reports of issues.

The Inyokern airport DC fast charger (EV Connect) has been down for some time and it appears that it isn't going to be fixed. :roll:

The tesla V3 chargers and V2 chargers in Inyokern are running great as far as I can tell. I'm an optimist and am hoping Tesla converts the old v2 into an open to all CCS, but that's just me hoping.

No word on any additional new sites coming.

I believe that's a good overview of my area, and now for a side comment: Watching and responding to local Facebook, etc., groups about the charging infrastructure in my area, it is very clear that most folks have no idea with even the basic EV charging. People have no idea that a level 2 isn't a DC fast charger, nor do they understand that the Tesla and Rivian chargers are not open to everyone. Time and time again I wills see someone ask where the nearest fast charger is, and people will respond by pointing to Tesla (and now Rivian), which are closed networks. Moreover, even among the EV drivers who SHOULD know, there seems to be surprised folks who thought they were going to be able to use the Rivian CCS chargers. Rivian hasn't exactly been quiet that the CCS portion was going to be locked.

So someone sent me a link to a planning commission document for my city, and it is plans for a drive through coffee shop / solar covered EV parking / charging and a stand alone restroom. Looking at the plans it included a crazy 20 chargers - 10 DC Fast chargers and 10 Lvl 2 chargers under the covered solar parking.

I can't decide if this is someone's pipe dream, and we will end up with a coffee shop and one or two lvl 2 chargers, or this is a serious idea. The plans look professional, but I'm not expert in planning.

I find it odd given we are such a small city, who would foot the bill? We don't have a single in-city fast charger, and now we are getting 10? Last I saw even 50 kW non Tesla chargers were 30 to 40 thousand each.

Who privately could afford this? There is a name, "JOSE MALDONADO", attached to the project, but I don't recognize it. I'm wondering if this could be a Tesla or Rivian or a bigger companies project?

Documents here:

https://www.ridgecrest-ca.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_07262022-2039

danrjones said:
Just a quick update for my region:

The first two Rivian sites have come online in Inyokern and Bishop, CA.
As expected the CCS is locked to Rivian, and the J-1772 Lvl 2's are open to all - apparently "free" for the moment.
People seem surprised that the CCS are locked, more on this down below.

The Chargepoint Lvl2 charger in Ridgecrest at Desert Valley FCU looks complete but not yet operational.

The Chargepoint at Brady's with two DC Fast chargers is running great and has been one of the more reliable charging sites in my area, though a bit slow at 62 kW max.

The EA site in Coso junction has had a number of issues the last month, though appears to be partially online right now. The gas station next to it is still out of commission for services. The Caltrans charger at the rest stop has also had a few reports of issues.

The Inyokern airport DC fast charger (EV Connect) has been down for some time and it appears that it isn't going to be fixed. :roll:

The tesla V3 chargers and V2 chargers in Inyokern are running great as far as I can tell. I'm an optimist and am hoping Tesla converts the old v2 into an open to all CCS, but that's just me hoping.

No word on any additional new sites coming.

I believe that's a good overview of my area, and now for a side comment: Watching and responding to local Facebook, etc., groups about the charging infrastructure in my area, it is very clear that most folks have no idea with even the basic EV charging. People have no idea that a level 2 isn't a DC fast charger, nor do they understand that the Tesla and Rivian chargers are not open to everyone. Time and time again I wills see someone ask where the nearest fast charger is, and people will respond by pointing to Tesla (and now Rivian), which are closed networks. Moreover, even among the EV drivers who SHOULD know, there seems to be surprised folks who thought they were going to be able to use the Rivian CCS chargers. Rivian hasn't exactly been quiet that the CCS portion was going to be locked.

Thanks Dan. I've found Brady's to be reliable and we've needed to use it several times. And those kiosks are much better than the 50 kW stations that people are still putting in. We've got to get those Rivian stations opened to non-Rivian. That would make a hell of a difference.

Maturango Museum talked to SCE about putting in a station and Edison discouraged them saying the PUC had put a hold on new stations. That's the first I'd heard about it and knowing Edison don't necessarily believe it. ;)

Paul

I followed up on the potential coffee shop and charging station in Ridgecrest, and this is what I was told:

Good morning. The EV Charge Park project was approved by Planning Commission. The developer reconfigured the driveways to improve congestion at the French/China Lake intersection. They should be submitting building plans and moving forward soon.

paulgipe said:
that's certainly not a helpful reply.

paul

Hey Paul

Sorry haven't been checking in very often here since I don't have my Leaf. Should have long ago had my RWD ID4 but that's a long story. Still don't have it and now I'm hearing June of next year. Which likely means no or only half tax credit. I may check out the Equinox or Blazer at this rate. ( Sorry but my wife was a hard no on the Bolt.) And finding anything with the tax credit is difficult.

Anyway, nothing to report on the Ridgecrest site. I saw you guys talking about an EA site in Lone Pine. That would be great!

I DO see a new site in plugshare in Trona. EV Gateway? Not sure when that popped up. Not even photos.

So the 62 kW Chargepoint chargers around seem to be holding up much better than EA, and Caltrans is coming up last. I keep seeing those down. The number of broken chargers is downright depressing sometimes.

I don't have much else on the East side to report.

I've got a glimmer of hope. Many ID4s have just popped up around our area. They are all reserved but I've got hope one gets passed over, and then the dealer doesn't try to mark it up. I'm just waiting for that call.

paulgipe said:
Thanks Dan. Hope you get back in an EV soon.

Paul

I'm back! !

Ok well I will be. Just signed the contract online for a 2023 ID4. Pick it up in Palmdale Friday.

It was quite the mess really but I got it done.

I'll post more in the ID4 thread but it's been a crazy week with the new Treasury guidance and now new VW news.

It looks like someone tested the charger in Trona! No photos though. Looks like they pulled 48kW in a vehicle listed as "other". It's also flagged as "Customers Only" - not sure what that means?

I'll try and get down there next few weeks. Now that I'll be able to test it.

It's sad to see the Caltrans chargers failing already.

I really wish someone would put a few in Kernville.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/476051

Dan,

Looks like you tried to charge there and it didn't work. Someone right after you got 86 kW though. ;)

Caltrans chargers on the Grapevine are back up. Three of four are now operating. We need those Caltrans stations.

Yeah, Kernville, and Ridgecrest proper would be good places for a 50 kW station.

Paul

paulgipe said:
Dan,

Looks like you tried to charge there and it didn't work. Someone right after you got 86 kW though. ;)

Caltrans chargers on the Grapevine are back up. Three of four are now operating. We need those Caltrans stations.

Yeah, Kernville, and Ridgecrest proper would be good places for a 50 kW station.

Paul

Actually, no, that wasn't me. I was just referring to someone else's comment.

We did go up to Lone Pine today and the EA charger in Coso worked first try. The caltrans charger there is still offline

Somewhere, I heard a rumor EA plans to build a station in Lone Pine. That would be great. Or destination 50 kW chargers even. As you said, places like Kernville, or the Eastern Sierra cities, 50 kW might be just fine since I'm stopping anyway. Even Lvl 2 chargers at the Eastern Sierra Interagency center would be nice.

paulgipe said:
Indeed. I used Tejon Pass free DC FC on Christmas Day. It seemed like 3 CCS were working and it's possible 1 of the stations had working CHAdeMO but busted CCS.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/246172 at Denny's/Jack in the Box in Delano is super cheap at only $2 per hour for DC FCing. I had to backtrack to there because https://www.plugshare.com/location/303854 (Delano Caltrans) was broken at the time. I tried both on the CCS side, since I have a CCS car.

Dan: You will enjoy the very fast DC FCing on ID.4 on EA.

Back