Please help... I want to love my nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The histogram has the voltages scaled on the left side, and LeafSpy (Pro version, at least) will give you the largest cell voltage differential, which will be the weak or bad cell. Now the bad news: Nissan does not recognize the validity of LeafSpy in any way.

Ultimately here is the question ... can I ask for a repair or replacement? At some point every other day my range is toast... so...

TsiorLeaf said:
Ultimately here is the question ... can I ask for a repair or replacement? At some point every other day my range is toast... so...
Ultimately that is up to Nissan...and they don't use/recognize any of the data you can provide them (as has been mentioned).
They must do their own "test"...and (warranty) repair/replacement is very high bar.

This photo of yours is a histogram of cell voltages. 96 cells in total.
Cell #19 is the weak one, as reported below the x axis values and highlighted in red
LeafSpy also tells you the average cell voltage and the cell with the highest voltage.
min/avg/max refers to the voltage of the lowest cell, the average of all cells, and the highest cell
Nissan mostly uses the voltage difference between the lowest value and the average as a first screen, but a DTC and warranty replacemenent are set to an even higher bar.

Don't jump to the conclusion that the weak cell is the source of your range concerns. It is actually doubtful for now, and only a decent charging test for capacity would be convincing. Did you get a cell voltage histogram at a SoC of 20%-ish ?

uc

Don't jump to the conclusion that the weak cell is the source of your range concerns. It is actually doubtful for now, and only a decent charging test for capacity would be convincing.

I don't think that a capacity test would do much here - the SOH should give that. The issue is whether or not the weak or bad cell is causing the BMS to restrict the pack well before all of the capacity available has been used.

TsiorLeaf said:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1I9z6vYQ7KR7YGxxHSrsmXDq4gbMoyidN?usp=sharing

Hi all and thanks for your input ... it is starting to make share and explain what is happening.
I have updated all my pictures.

The most telling pictures for me are Thursday afternoon where I get in the car and drive 25 yet lose 50% of range according to the guess o meter.

I have also included further shots during the day all titled with with the time during the day for perspective.

A key characteristic you will want to collect video evidence of is SOC rising when at a stoplight. Weak cells really show themselves under load and this can throw the BMS off kilter when moving. Stopping, the weak cell voltage rises and the SOC gets readjusted by the BMS.

Also, you're going to have to stop relying on the Guess O Meter. No, one - not the dealer, not us, not Nissan - considers the GOM to be reliable in any meaningful way. The state of charge display and the capacity bar display are the only things on the dash that can help your case.

LeftieBiker said:
Don't jump to the conclusion that the weak cell is the source of your range concerns. It is actually doubtful for now, and only a decent charging test for capacity would be convincing.

The issue is whether or not the weak or bad cell is causing the BMS to restrict the pack well before all of the capacity available has been used.

That is what the capacity test is for.

Example:
Her current capacity is 101 Ahr, so about 36 kWh nominal

Say she charges from 20% to 90% and puts 6 kW * 4 hrs into the battery, so 24 kWh.
Expected is 36 * (0.9 - 0.2) = 25.2, so all is well within measurement errors.

But let's say that the 20% to 90% SoC increase took 6 kW * 3 hrs = 18 kWh
The implication is that the weak cell cut off (1 - 18/25.2) of her pack capacity

DaveinOlyWA said:
TsiorLeaf said:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1I9z6vYQ7KR7YGxxHSrsmXDq4gbMoyidN?usp=sharing

Hi all and thanks for your input ... it is starting to make share and explain what is happening.
I have updated all my pictures.

The most telling pictures for me are Thursday afternoon where I get in the car and drive 25 yet lose 50% of range according to the guess o meter.

I have also included further shots during the day all titled with with the time during the day for perspective.

A key characteristic you will want to collect video evidence of is SOC rising when at a stoplight. Weak cells really show themselves under load and this can throw the BMS off kilter when moving. Stopping, the weak cell voltage rises and the SOC gets readjusted by the BMS.

I would not bother. While true, it is nothing that is not already apparent from the histogram; and more importantly, Nissan could not care less.

What has been the progress on this issue? I think Nissan should be ashamed of them selves. They don't stand behind the product they made, and because of customers complained. Rapid gate was partly solved, but what if that actually made things worse?

I thought Rapid gate made totally sense: the battery should be protected as much as possible, but instead they decided to allow higher charging speeds. Which ofcourse makes the general driver of the Leaf more happy, but they weren't the owners....

The owners where the leasing companies: and they care way lesser about the condition of the battery, then a private owner. And the leasing driver, they will just drop the car back after 4 or 5 years. While it actually might have been hadding the whole time battery issues.

And yes Nissan doesn't care about what Leafspy says: so my guess is, when you bring it in for a battery test. Then run the battery as much as possible down as you can, because weak cell's would often only show below 20% SoC.

Back