2020 SL Plus to 2023 SV Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyct

Leaf Supporting Member
I just signed a buyers order for a 2023 SV Plus that’s already built and it’s inTransit, expected to arrived in 9/26. I put a refundable deposit on it to lock it in.

The deal is $9,500 out the door, plus my 2020 SL Plus. I verified in government site that the vin is eligible for full $7,500 Tax credit so my net is $2,000 for a 3 year newer model year with fresh warranty.

Another local dealer wanted $18,750 plus my trade.

That isn't a bad deal at all, financially. The one caveat I'd add is that you may not like the '23 as much as the '20. We have a '20, and the build quality and features like the HD radio (that doesn't keep spontaneously rebooting) appear to me to be substantially better than my '21 non-Plus.

Please post some Leafspy screenshots when you get the car, plus any esrly anecdotes on efficiency.

The wltp on the 23 is actually higher than the 22, though epa is lower, so there is something with the efficiency improvements.

Very curious as well to know if there are any thermal differences with back to back QCs. Does the pack cool faster at all with all of that space created with 2.5kWh less battery cells.

And congrats on the new car.

Flyct said:
I just signed a buyers order for a 2023 SV Plus that’s already built and it’s inTransit, expected to arrived in 9/26. I put a refundable deposit on it to lock it in.

The deal is $9,500 out the door, plus my 2020 SL Plus. I verified in government site that the vin is eligible for full $7,500 Tax credit so my net is $2,000 for a 3 year newer model year with fresh warranty.

I would include the difference in value between the SL and SV; and also include TT&L

SageBrush said:
Flyct said:

I would include the difference in value between the SL and SV; and also include TT&L

Yes, dealers are rarely on the losing side, especially with the present market conditions. They probably had buyers for an SL.

SageBrush said:
Flyct said:

The highest trim level for 2023 is SV Plus. They no longer manufacture SL LeafS. The SV Plus comes standard with all the technology items that were previously optional in a 2020 SV.

When I bought my 2020 MSRP prices were before the reduction in 2022 but on my 2020 I negotiated $4,500 in dealer discount and additional $6,500 in rebates. I paid $38,000 out the door back then with all fees, taxes etc. after getting the $7,500 tax credit my total net cost was $30,500. This dealer is giving me $33,500 trade value on my 2020 but marking up the 2023 $500over sticker plus adding $2000 in BS fees. Bottom line I give him my car and $9,500 cash for a 2023 SV Plus. Then I claim $7,500 tax credit on next years return.

Looking at the 2023 SV+ specs the only thing of significance I could find is that that my 2020 SL Plus has leather vs the Cloth in the SV Plus. My 2016 SV had cloth and I actually preferred it to leather. It’s not as hot to sit on in the Florida heat.

This will be my 5th Nissan Leaf, 2015 SL, 2017 SV, 2019 SL+ (Totaled), and current 2020 SL+

To add. This 2023 Leaf will be my 65th new car/truck purchase since 1970. In addition I currently have 3 new Ford Super Duty diesel trucks on order that are taking 12+ months from order to delivery. Fortunately they were all ordered below invoice and they are price protected. I’ll keep one to replace my 2020 F350 diesel RV tow vehicle and sell the other 2 at a decent profit.

I do have to say that the Leaf forum member’s political leanings are more in line with my leanings vs the Ford truck forums. They bad mouth EVs like crazy.

With the price of diesel these days I can only imagine what anyone driving a F350 thinks of EV's. I know every time I see a diesel F350 driving down the road (commuting at 18 mpg?) I just wonder WTF....

With the price of diesel these days I can only imagine what anyone driving a F350 thinks of EV's. I know every time I see a diesel F350 driving down the road (commuting at 18 mpg?) I just wonder WTF....

I have owned several F350 diesels and even though everyone pretends that the get 18 MPG they do not in fact. My old GM 6.2 was the only diesel truck to actually get that kind of mileage and that was because it was incapable of moving very fast (I stll have it, will someday convert to electric...)

Congrats on a great deal. Look forward to your impressions and comparisons on the new battery pack.

Flyct said:

Looking at the 2023 SV+ specs the only thing of significance I could find is that that my 2020 SL Plus has leather vs the Cloth in the SV Plus. My 2016 SV had cloth and I actually preferred it to leather. It’s not as hot to sit on in the Florida heat.
It will also lose the Bose subwoofer and HD radio.

Triggerhappy007 said:
Flyct said:

It will also lose the Bose subwoofer and HD radio.

Thanks for that info. I forgot that difference.

Not having the Bose subwoofer would gain me some much needed floor space in the back. HD radio doesn’t do me any good since I’m deaf in one ear and 60% in other. The lack of HD radio wouldn’t matter since wear bicross hearing aids and normally listen to iPhone pandora via Bluetooth on the car speakers.

My 2017 SV didn’t have Bose and I couldn’t tell much difference.

Edit: The Bose system in most EVs is low power and nowhere near the high power Bose system I had in my Corvette.

Flyct said:

Is the Boss sub included? If not can it be added?

The Bose system has never been a standalone option. First it was part of the Premium Package, then that and also standard on the SL. It seems to be history, now. Having had two Leafs with the Bose, and now one without it, it isn't a big deal in the SV. I wouldn't want the crappy audio system used in the S, but the non-Bose system used in the SV is fine.

UPDATE:

I called the dealer today since my credit card hasn’t been charged for the refundable deposit. After checking he came back and said Nissan updated the delivery date to an unspecified day in the month of October and asked if I still wanted to go forward with the order. I said yes but change deposit to $1,000 and please make sure I get a new buyers order with that deposit amount and have the deposit noted as fully refundable. They agreed.

Searching inventory within 250 miles there are no Leaf’s in stock at any dealers. There are about 6 “in transit” with slightly higher vin numbers.

I’m not in a rush since I have a perfectly good 2020 SL Plus. I just wanted to lock in the price and trade in value in writing.

What a different market than it was before Covid.

I HATE LYING DEALERS!

Well after having a signed buyer's order and signing a credit card authorization form 4 days ago i got a call today saying that the car already has a deposit on it. What BS.

Monday when I signed the buyer's order and sent my credit card info, the sales rep said that the cashier had already gone home for the day and he would run the card Tuesday. I then specifically asked if the car was listed as sold to me and locked in so there is no issue later. He said ABSOLUTELY!

Well today after seeing that my credit card didn't show the charge yet I called. Sales rep said I needed to sign a new CC Auth with the $1000 instead of the $3k. I asked for a new buyer's order showing the new deposit amount. He sent the CC Auth form. I signed it and sent it to him.

Then I get a call telling me that someone already has a deposit on that car. What BS. I think they had a buyer that was willing to pay more than my deal and since they hadn't run my credit card yet I was SOL.

Now they tell me they have another identical Leaf coming in next week with a deposit on it. They said the customer paid the deposit without seeing the final numbers. He thinks there is a good chance that the buyer will not complete the sale once he sees the added on BS packed crap and the over MSRP price they will be asking. He said if that is the case then I can have that car at my negotiate price. If not he has a Deep Blue one coming in in October and I can have that one at my price. I said Gray or white, not BLUE, what don't you understand?

So they are trying to scam another buyer by tacking on another $3,000 in "Market Adjustment" and $3,500 in wax and tinting BS and not disclosing the final cost when they took the deposit. I HATE LYING DEALERS!

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I was able to negotiate a deal with another dealer in the same town as the original dealer to trade my 2020 SL Plus for a 2023 SV Plus.

My 2020 Leaf is owned without being financed so negotiating was clean.

$8,123 plus my trade out the door. After factoring in the $7,500 tax credit this car will cost me $623 plus my car. So for $523 I get a 3 model year newer car with fresh warranty and zero miles.

So I loose the leather interior and the Bose system.

Back