Can a Schuko plug really handle 16A?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMF5000

I want to buy a variable-power EVSE cable so I can charge my leaf iny generator in an emergency (my generator only outputs 2000W at 240V so I was thinking 6A or 8A would be comfortable for it).

Buying an EVSE just for that seemed like a waste of money but on further research I found some models on AliExpress that are adjustable all the way up to 16A (which would then have the further benefit of allowing me to charge at home 60% faster than on the stock 10A EVSE that came with my leaf).

My concern is, the plug at the end of that EVSE is a Schuko plug. The question is, can it really handle 16A continuous? In Malta we use the UK plug standard. The UK plugs aren't significantly beefier than Schuko but can only handle 13A max and 10A continuous.

Schuko is rated to 16A, but it is not recommended for a longer time. OEM EVSE's will often have a temperature sensor in the Schuko plug to sense if it gets overheated (that is the problem with these plugs). Chinese alternatives may not have this...

https://www.google.com/search?q=maximum+continuous+Schuko+amperage&oq=maximum+continuous+Schuko+amperage&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160l2j33i22i29i30.12532j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Back