Parking Brake Service Mode

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny

Does anyone know if the electric rear brake callipers on my ‘18 Leaf SL can be placed in brake service mode or whatever Nissan calls it without the use of a scan tool?

GerryAZ said:
The electric parking brake module pulls a cable to apply small drum brakes which are part of the rear rotors. It does not affect the calipers.

Are you 100% sure about this on the new models? There appears to be no inner drum on my 2019, the normal rear pads are mechanically compressed by an electric motor.

couple of videos

https://youtu.be/WI1L9HerK7g?si=TX4JhM4g0yISbhzS

Not a leaf, but looks like my parking brake motor https://youtu.be/z5GuJGt5oK4?si=nGmbgpxqEAIxjuk3

I stand corrected. I assumed the electric parking brake on the newer models was similar to my 2011 with an electric actuator pulling cables. After seeing Learjet's reply, I looked at the factory service manual and confirmed that there is a parking brake control module which controls an actuator at each rear caliper. There is a procedure in the manual for mechanically releasing the parking brake at each caliper that I believe one could use when working on each caliper if the parking brake was not electrically released before working on the calipers.

GerryAZ said:
I stand corrected. I assumed the electric parking brake on the newer models was similar to my 2011 with an electric actuator pulling cables. After seeing Learjet's reply, I looked at the factory service manual and confirmed that there is a parking brake control module which controls an actuator at each rear caliper. There is a procedure in the manual for mechanically releasing the parking brake at each caliper that I believe one could use when working on each caliper if the parking brake was not electrically released before working on the calipers.

Thanks...for the info!

Back