My 2015 Leaf won't start

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ev8309

• I searched the Problems / Troubleshooting forum (which isn't the best search tool around) and did not find anything relevant to starting.
  • I looked at http://wiki.mynissanleaf.com/ for a FAQ and it is a dead link.

So... I am posting my help request here.

I was away for 10 days and when I came back my 2015 Leaf won't start. The symptoms are:
  • When I step on the break and push the button, the screen comes on, the first tone sounds (but not the staring tone), the break feels like there is a 'clunk,' and the 'button-plus-break' warning comes up on the screen – like I'm not stepping on the break.
  • I have 20 miles on the guess-o-meter and when I plug in and try to charge (override) nothing happens (no tones or solenoid click) and the blue lights do not come on.

Any thoughts? Could it be that the 12V battery is dead? If so, what should I do about it?

Thanks.

- dcp

It's the 12 volt battery, and if the car was left plugged in, then it IS the 12 volt battery. Charge it up with an external automotive charger. Replace the battery soon, preferably with an AGM type, 51R battery. Charge the new battery fully either before installation or right afterward.

Thanks for the reply.

It's the 12 volt battery, and if the car was left plugged in, then it IS the 12 volt battery.

It was not plugged in. However, I am considering just going to Autozone and getting a new battery — it is 7 years old, after all.

LOL, just be thankful that it didn't leave you stranded somewhere. Once the 12V gets bad enough, various seemingly random trouble codes appear and the car can refuse to start. I suggest you make it a priority to buy a new 12V ASAP.

FWIW, I am on my 2nd regular (flooded) 12V lead acid battery and I have never had a problem. So, while an AGM battery is better, you likewise haven't had a problem with your current battery until now so you likely can get away with a regular 12V replacement battery.

Once the 12V gets bad enough, various seemingly random trouble codes appear and the car can refuse to start. I suggest you make it a priority to buy a new 12V ASAP.

Fixed it! And I didn't even lose the presets. Thanks for all the help. (I love this forum.)

Back