Updated 24kwh(AZE0) to 30kwh battery ECU question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grundignz

I upgraded my 24kwh battery to 30kwh battery. I read that the ECU can be flashed to support the 30kw properly but cant find any information on this.

Can anybody shed some light on the procedure for this

Thanks
David

You might want to post additional info, because I'm not sure how you can drive the car (beyond "turtle" mode) without some sort of CAN-bridge device/translator. I'm not even sure someone other than a dealer can flash component hardware (even if they have a Nissan CONSULT tool).

Grundignz said:
I read that the ECU can be flashed to support the 30kw properly but cant find any information on this.

So far as I know, the 'flash' you read about circumvents the Nissan attempt to prevent a 3rd party battery replacement by 'cracking' the pack ID check. It does not resolve your problem of using a BMS that expects a 24 kWh pack but finds something else.

Look into LeafSpy, it might help with some of your issues. E.g., you may be able to follow pack voltage instead of inaccurate SoC or GOM meters.

I can buy the battery translator for the car
https://evsenhanced.com/product/nissan-leaf-hv-battery-translator-kit/

But apparently the 24kw cars have had warranty replacements of 30kw and they just updated the firmware on the car.

I do have consult software to do myself, if I can work out what I need to do

You might want to consider rewarding Dala for his tireless work on LEAF upgrades, as he sells CANBUS bridges with his custom firmware - lots of cool features.

https://dalasevrepair.fi/#products

There's a form towards the bottom of that page, which you can fill out to find out about the CAN bridge ordering process.

Yes I have ordered the battery translator from evenhanced in New Zealand, I am also in Nz. But am interested if it can be done without the need of translator. I have reset the code p3102 and the car is driving completely fine(no turtle) just at the moment the range meter is all over the place.

Products such as the EV Enhanced translator and Dala's solution exist because software manipulation of CANBUS messages is required in order to retrofit a bigger pack to an older LEAF.

There's no getting around that requirement, short of you reverse engineering either of those solutions and developing your own code.

It's unfortunate that you didn't consider Dala's solution, as you missed out on these cool features that no one else offers:

• BatterySaver: stop charging at whatever SOC you prefer
  • RapidgateDodger: on the fly adjustment of DC fast charging speed, to avoid over heating
  • CurrentControl: on the fly adjustment of L1/L2 charging rate
  • GlideInDrive: coasting mode that completely disables regen

Just to name a few. I'm sure the EV Enhanced solution will get the Job done though.

alozzy said:
It's unfortunate that you didn't consider Dala's solution, as you missed out on these cool features that no one else offers:

• BatterySaver: stop charging at whatever SOC you prefer
  • RapidgateDodger: on the fly adjustment of DC fast charging speed, to avoid over heating

• Those two features alone are easily worth the price of the device

Grundignz said:
Yes I have ordered the battery translator from evenhanced in New Zealand, I am also in Nz. But am interested if it can be done without the need of translator. I have reset the code p3102 and the car is driving completely fine(no turtle) just at the moment the range meter is all over the place.

Hey mate,

Sorry to drag up an old post.

I just bought a crashed leaf to swap it's battery into my current leaf(AZE0 24kwh), to my delight I found out the crashed car has a 30kwh battery in it. So looks like I'm gonna have to buy the battery translator too. My question is apart from the range being wonky without the translator; is there anything stopping me from driving it while the translator is being made? from your experience.

I did some digging but couldn't find any straight answers.

You might be able to use the latest build of LeafSpy Pro (pretty sure you need the Android beta version) to pair the pack to the car. You'll ultimately need a CANBUS bridge, but in theory, once paired, the 30 kWh pack should function similar to a 24 kWh pack. The guess-o-meter range estimate will obviously way off.

Dala, who cracked the code for battery pairing, states this about pack upgrades...

What is a CAN-bridge?

A CAN-bridge (also known as CAN gateway/translator) is translating the newer style battery communication into an older format the the older vehicle can understand. It is absolutely mandatory for safe operation and charging of the vehicle.

You can take what Dala says as gospel - you need a CANBUS bridge for pack upgrades.

Yeah I did read that. Too bad can bridges are all out of stock. I'll probably go with the ev enhanced battery translator since I'm in NZ too... I was just assuming if I didn't add it was the fast charger wount charge to 100% and most of the range will be in the low battery warning area, that can trigger turtle without warning.

I found this video in Russian(unfortunately I don't understand) watching it they seem to upgrade the ECU from donor car(about 10mins in) and sync it with new car.No translator required

https://youtu.be/XHLddeIxxig

Back