24 kWh Battery replacement cost back down to $5500

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
babbles said:
Does anyone know if EV works in Bainbridge, WA is in operation? I've been in touch with EV rides out of Portland but haven't been able to reach EV Works

EV Works is operating but they are involved with a rather extensive conversion project right now. As far as battery upgrades for the LEAF, as can be expected, their ability to obtain salvage packs at a price that would allow them to provide a reasonable upgrade option is quite tough.

As more companies get into the game, the availability of the packs has plummeted as the price as skyrocketed.

Why by 24Kw/h battery? You are stuck with poor air cooled battery pack with limited range getting shorter every day. You need to start with a 40Kw pack. I am at 80 mile range (72Kw in very cold weather).

gmcjetpilot said:
Why by 24Kw/h battery? You are stuck with poor air cooled battery pack with limited range getting shorter every day. You need to start with a 40Kw pack. I am at 80 mile range (72Kw in very cold weather).
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "Kw/h" nor "Kw".

Nissan provides no upgrade path from 24 kWh to any pack of larger size. So, folks will have to seek 3rd party solutions. And, unfortunately, there's a limited supply of >40 kWh packs since they pretty much have to come w/wrecked Leafs.

cwerdna said:
gmcjetpilot said:

Nissan provides no upgrade path from 24 kWh to any pack of larger size. So, folks will have to seek 3rd party solutions. And, unfortunately, there's a limited supply of >40 kWh packs since they pretty much have to come w/wrecked Leafs.

There is at least a potential path, because Nissan is replacing 30kwh packs with 40kwh packs, and while I don't know of any 24kwh packs that were replaced with 30kwh units, it should be an easy job.

rather than start a new thread, a mechanic wanted to know if the rear brakes look like the front or they drum brake? leaf has 126k miles and I don't think they've been serviced

LeftieBiker said:
cwerdna said:
gmcjetpilot said:

There is at least a potential path, because Nissan is replacing 30kwh packs with 40kwh packs, and while I don't know of any 24kwh packs that were replaced with 30kwh units, it should be an easy job.

potential is always a possibility but won't happen at a level that is viable to us. Even now, the financial incentive to put in 24 kwh packs is simply not there.

On the 30-40 process, this was an understandable decision. It has pretty much only happened to cover the degradation warranty and to prevent multiple replacements in a single car. Although we have a VERY notable exception in Palm Springs, the reality is the 40 kwh pack that in most cases only has to survive a handful of years and as much as 70,000 miles, has done very well in proving it is well up to that task.

Hi Guys! Hoping for some guidance here. I have a 2012 Nissan Leaf SE and it is down to its final 3 bars. For years I have tried to get Nissan to replace the battery when I noticed the bars going down and it was under warranty and it was always denied. I ended up purchasing the vehicle for my mom, and still they refuse to assist. Now conveniently that it is out of warranty, they say the battery must be replaced. Yet there is no help or guidance. Nissan Consumer Affair representative was completely heartless and pretty much said I have to pay for it and there is nothing they can do. Yet, she still didn't provide guidance on how or who I can reach out to.
To get the battery replaced, am I dealing with the dealership? Who provides the quote on the new battery? I appreciate any feedback/ guidance you can provide me. thank you so much!

electricleafy13 said:
Hi Guys! Hoping for some guidance here. I have a 2012 Nissan Leaf SE and it is down to its final 3 bars. For years I have tried to get Nissan to replace the battery when I noticed the bars going down and it was under warranty and it was always denied.
There's no such thing as an SE trim. 3 bars? As in, 2 red ones + 1 white one?

In the US, the capacity warranty was only in effect for 5 years/60K miles. You need to be at 8 capacity bars or less w/the condition verified by a Nissan EV-certified dealer service dept before the capacity warranty expires.
electricleafy13 said:
To get the battery replaced, am I dealing with the dealership? Who provides the quote on the new battery?
Yes. They do.

electricleafy13 said:
To get the battery replaced, am I dealing with the dealership? Who provides the quote on the new battery? I appreciate any feedback/ guidance you can provide me. thank you so much!

Not necessarily, a lot depends on where you are located and how patient you are. For some lucky people, located near experienced independent shops who swap lightly used packs from salvage LEAFs, installing a newer pack is a possibility. Expect to pay at least $10k USD for a 40 kWh pack, likely more. Where are you located?

I personally wouldn't consider replacing the 24 kWh pack with anything other than a 40 kWh or 62 kWh LEAF pack.

Also keep in mind that a new LEAF or a new Chevy Bolt are relatively inexpensive now, compared to only a few years ago.

gmcjetpilot said:

I can get almost 80 miles out of my 2014 S, 24 kWH 10-bar battery. This car has taught me to hypermile and drive like I'm 20 years older than I am. This car & battery will continue to suit my needs around town for several more years. It's my second favorite car, after the '67 Corvair I bought in 1980 and am currently restoring. That Leaf is a great parts-getter car for LAPS within my operational radius. ;)

Just curious, what is the current cost for Nissan to install a new 24kWH battery? And wouldn't installing a larger battery require at least a software upgrade to the BMS?

The cost varies since nearly all battery replacements use the battery from a wrecked Leaf which is purchased at an auto auction. Expect to pay a minimum of $10k or so for a 40kWh battery. I don't know of anyone that actually re-programs the BMS. The standard technique is to add a module (electronics + software) on the CAN bus that spoofs the BMS so it operates correctly with the new battery.

erco said:
Wouldn't installing a larger battery require at least a software upgrade to the BMS?

Dala sells the CANBUS bridge, with his custom firmware, on his website:

https://dalasevrepair.fi/can-bridges/

Unique features he has added include:

• Works with all LEAF / e-NV200 generations
  • Compatible with any 24/30/40/62kWh battery, once the bridge is mounted any battery can be installed
  • BatterySaver functionality included for maximum battery life
  • RapidgateDodger feature for overheating 30/40/62kWh packs
  • CurrentControl for adjusting AC charge speed on the fly
  • GlideInDrive feature, for turning off regenerative braking
  • Possibility to unlock more capacity from 24/30kWh batteries by charging to 4.20v/cell (like the newer 40/62kWh already do)
  • Restores regenerative braking to normal levels
  • Firmware can be upgraded, newer versions with fixes/new features can be flashed onto the bridge by end users

Once my pack drops down to 9 bars, I am going to buy one of his bridges to use with my existing pack. It's worth the price, for the CurrentControl, GlideInDrive, and restoration of regen features.

alozzy said:
erco said:
Wouldn't installing a larger battery require at least a software upgrade to the BMS?

Dala sells the CANBUS bridge, with his custom firmware, on his website:

https://dalasevrepair.fi/can-bridges/

Unique features he has added include:

• Works with all LEAF / e-NV200 generations
  • Compatible with any 24/30/40/62kWh battery, once the bridge is mounted any battery can be installed
  • BatterySaver functionality included for maximum battery life
  • RapidgateDodger feature for overheating 30/40/62kWh packs
  • CurrentControl for adjusting AC charge speed on the fly
  • GlideInDrive feature, for turning off regenerative braking
  • Possibility to unlock more capacity from 24/30kWh batteries by charging to 4.20v/cell (like the newer 40/62kWh already do)
  • Restores regenerative braking to normal levels
  • Firmware can be upgraded, newer versions with fixes/new features can be flashed onto the bridge by end users

Once my pack drops down to 9 bars, I am going to buy one of his bridges to use with my existing pack. It's worth the price, for the CurrentControl, GlideInDrive, and restoration of regen features.

Hi,
Do you think this can-bridge will work on my 24kW battery pack with 40kw new battery cells swap? My understanding is the CAN bridge only works with 40kw battery pack replacement.

Cheers

My local Nissan dealer just quoted me $13,000 to replace the battery in my 2011 Leaf SL.
No way! I was offered $3k for the car by CarMax a couple of years ago. Talk about depreciation!
I pretty much figured that the cost of battery replacement would be prohibitive so I will just continue to drive the car until the range is so low it's no longer of use (or until some expensive component fails).
Then, I'll just donate the car to a charity and say "goodbye, Nissan, forever!"
My Leaf currently has just over 40k miles and is down to 5 bars.
I can drive 25-40 miles on a full charge depending on conditions (freeway vs. surface streets, etc.)
That is still adequate for 90% of my trips.
Sadly, here in the heart of Silicon Valley, there are no independent shops that offer Leaf battery replacement options.
No way am I shipping the car to Oregon or Washington where the nearest battery replacement shops are.

At one time I seriously considered purchasing a replacement battery for my 2012 LEAF SL, bought new in 2012 and now with only 17,000 miles after a decade. I do like the car, but I’m charging all the time for a few short errands given its pathetic 30-mile range. So I decided “investing” $5500 or whatever the actual cost may be is just unwise for me. All it would do is give me, at best, the 70 or so miles of range I had when new. Today’s table stakes is minimally 200+ miles of range and after owning the LEAF for my driving uses I’d be far more comfortable with mid-200’s for my run-around 2nd vehicle. That $5500 or so will make a big dent in paying for my next LEAF replacement EV if I can actually get my hands on one I want.

hock8172 said:
Do you think this can-bridge will work on my 24kW battery pack with 40kw new battery cells swap? My understanding is the CAN bridge only works with 40kw battery pack replacement.
Not sure you can do that (put new cells in an old pack/config), but no matter: if you read around the forum (I see you are a new member), you will quickly realize that the path to more range is a pack swap...not a piece-meal cell swap.

Back