Found a pressurized cap for brake bleeding

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do let us know how it works. I bought another cap from Nissan and drilled a hole in it to make my own. It works but leaks a bit under pressure. That was at 15 psi which is as high as I'd ever use to bleed brakes. It's nice that this unit says it will handle 50 psi but I wouldn't do that to the rest of the brake system !

Color me skeptical, but this pressure brake bleed cap worked perfectly. Arrived today, taking 19 days to arrive from Taiwan.

After work I attached it to the Motive Power Brake Bleeder and attached it to the Leaf's reservoir. Pumped it up to 15 PSI and it didn't drop for about the 5 minutes I kept it attached. Even if it had lost a few pounds of psi in that time I would have considered it a win.

Nicely made and easy to attach and remove so using the bleeder dry will not be a hassle.

goldbrick said:
I'm going to chuck my home-made kludge and order one of these. Thanks for tip~!

You are welcome! Let me know how it goes. I plan to do my actual flush and fill this weekend.

To close out this thread, I used the adapter coupled to a Motive Power Bleeder to bleed the brakes on my 2014 Leaf. I used the "dry" method and kept refilling the reservoir instead of putting the fluid in the Motive bottle. The adapter worked perfectly. For $20 it's a steal.

I'm about ready to order one of these adapters and as expected, shipping is 2x what the part costs. If anyone wants to split an order let me know in the next few days. My quote was $7.86 for the part and $17.66 for shipping. I think shipping will be the same for any small number of parts so combining an order will save a few bucks each and also the hassle of contacting the company in Taiwan.

Wish I'd seen this earlier! I made one from a new Nissan cap. I bled the brakes with it yesterday and it's leak-free at 15 psi with fluid in the power bleeder. The reservoir cap was $13 (I was ordering other items, so shipping was negligible). I used a glue gun. A quick web search indicated that hot melt glue is polypropylene, which is compatible with brake fluid.

I cut a couple tabs off the inner portion of the cap so I could remove it and seal it to the outer (black) portion.

H3cc5JV.jpg

Bwr1d2T.jpg

What brake fluid are you all using ? The manual. says to use "Genuine NISSAN Super Heavy Duty Brake Fluid". As best I can tell, this is Nisn part# 999MPA4132P ? But when I try to check out, I get a useless message that "unable to verify fitment". I also see part# 999MP-A4100P.

RustyShackleford said:
What brake fluid are you all using ? The manual. says to use "Genuine NISSAN Super Heavy Duty Brake Fluid".

Some good DOT 3 fluid will do.
My manual indicates to use "NISSAN Super Heavy Duty Brake Fluid or equivalent DOT 3 fluid".

This post is just what I was looking for. I built a cap to allow pressure bleeding as I have had good luck doing that with my old SAABs. But I could not pressure bleed the Leaf for some reason. I too made a DIY cap. I removed as much fluid as I could from the reservoir and replenished. I then attached the cap. It held pressure just fine at 15 psi. When I opened the first nipple (RR in my 2014), I expected a stream of fluid. Instead a small amount of fluid came out followed by air. At that point, the fluid level in the reservoir did not drop much. So I gave up on pressure bleeding and resorted to the brake pedal method, trying real hard not to press the pedal to its fullest travel. If anyone can give me coaching, please let me know. Thanks!

Back