The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The expert battery guys on this forum might comment, but IMO, you'd have to go much lower SOC to show the real mV difference in cell 1. My Gen 1 would start showing much larger cell differences when approaching turtle or at least VLB levels.

Well, the 23 Leaf epa reports are posted, and the "large" battery is definitely smaller.

With charging loss it's 64.8kWh vs. 68.x on the earlier battery. This suggests maybe even more than a 2kWh reduction behind the scenes.

https://dis.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=55554&flag=1

It'll be interesting to see some some LSP screenshots from this new model. Trying to make sense of why they would make a minor change like this so late in the lifecycle of the vehicle. Now they will have to keep more battery replacement inventory on stock to cater for all the possible warranty replacement needs etc.

As low as I could get it today ...full charge I got 136.3 to this point...mostly highway 58-70 mph....pretty sad for a 23,000 mile car with a 62 kWh battery. :roll: and Nissan tech says its fine.

Cannot "relate" to the GOM readings:
- My 168 amp-hour battery has a range (when showing 2% of so on GOM) of about 220-230 miles under similar driving in Houston, Tx area. (I use amp-hours as a good measure of battery energy capacity - old school FLA that might be a little off for Li??)
- Your 160 amp-hour battery under similar conditions (if fully charged to 98%+) would have a range of 160/168 x 220 = 210 miles.
- Your LS readings indicate that at 10% remaining, you have 54 miles range left. Add another 15-20 miles to go to 3% (on LS) and your actual range would be 136+54+15 = 205 - appears OK.
- Is there something wrong with your GOM? Again, you'll need to go to very low SOC (10% or less) to see actual cell no.1's deep dive.

Others might comment on the large mV differential - if that's a real problem and how to possibly resolve.

@Learjet I'm trying to follow your "weak cell" concern, and this is what you've posted (I think):
  • 167mV delta @95% SOC
  • 132mV delta @38% SOC
  • 251mV delta @31% SOC
If that's correct, I would add 1 more reading to this list ~20% SOC. If the jump is anything as dramatic as 38%->31% was, then I would expect it to impact range.

Stanton said:
@Learjet I'm trying to follow your "weak cell" concern, and this is what you've posted (I think):
  • 167mV delta @95% SOC
  • 132mV delta @38% SOC
  • 251mV delta @31% SOC
If that's correct, I would add 1 more reading to this list ~20% SOC. If the jump is anything as dramatic as 38%->31% was, then I would expect it to impact range.

Additionally if you can confirm the state in which you are taking the readings. Under load while driving or idle sitting on the driveway etc.

Stanton said:
  • 167mV delta @95% SOC
  • 132mV delta @38% SOC
  • 251mV delta @31% SOC

The Car will show 208 or more miles at 100%....

Yes, when the GOM hits about 40% it drops fast and erratically. I know LeafSpy says I have more range...but I don't want to be stranded on the side of the road....because the low cell is causing the early shut off of the car.

OldManCan said:
Stanton said:
  • 167mV delta @95% SOC
  • 132mV delta @38% SOC
  • 251mV delta @31% SOC

Additionally if you can confirm the state in which you are taking the readings. Under load while driving or idle sitting on the driveway etc.

not driving. sitting in park.

Learjet said:

Yes, when the GOM hits about 40% it drops fast and erratically. I know LeafSpy says I have more range...but I don't want to be stranded on the side of the road....because the low cell is causing the early shut off of the car.

Appears you need to "test" the accuracy of the GOM's readings - either with a dealer rep or under conditions that you can limp back to a charging area. If you have an "early shut off", it would seem that a warranty situation is called for.

Marktm said:
Learjet said:

Appears you need to "test" the accuracy of the GOM's readings - either with a dealer rep or under conditions that you can limp back to a charging area. If you have an "early shut off", it would seem that a warranty situation is called for.

I concur, I would document early shut with a video camera and go over the tech's head. Start with the service manager and open a case with Nissan. It's probably gonna take some effort on your part but this seems like a warranty item.

My 2019 SV+ with 21K miles just positively adjusted from. 89.81 to 91.08%! This puts my year 3 loses at 1.2% from June 2021 or now under 1% on an an August to August basis.

Something psychological about being above 90% SoH.

I'm starting to wonder whether it makes much sense to focus on the ups and downs of SOH, the daily and the quarterly adjustments.

For the past few months I've been doing full charges more often than I did in the past and making note of how many GIDS I have afterwards. When the car was new I once got to 763 GIDS, nowadays it's usually 705-720.

I haven't been doing this long enough yet to measure long term trends, but hope to in the future.

https://youtu.be/x1RofRLKasc

Does the US 2023 Leaf Plus get rain sensing wipers like NZ?

Also, this reconfirmed the 59kWh battery. Even though epa range dropped a couple, wltp range appears to be nearly the same at around 385km which is actually slightly above the 2021 62kWh battery SL/SV range.

Ok, LeafSpy on my S+ which is now at 3 years since build is at 93.11% SoH 164.25AHr (9/19 build date on door).

6.89% degradation isn't out of this world good, but really not too bad. Next adjustment is in 2 weeks.

Do you notice any difference in range or performance? My 2017 is down to about 91% SOH and as far as I can tell, it's the same as the day I drove it home. Of course, I've probably become a better EV driving during that time but it's nice not having to worry about each drop in SOH. My Hx on the other hand is in the 7x% but once again, I don't notice any difference although I'm sure that has some effect on something.

Do I notice driving around town, no. Do I miss seeing 300 miles on the gom in summer at a full charge (technically at one pint I had 150 miles st 50% SoC in early summer).

I notice it more on the very long drives. In June, we did 230 miles to Iowa City, and having the extra 5% buffer would have made the drive less effort...but made it. I think LeafSpy can make you more crazy as you see the max gids go down over the years, even though the car is still fully meeting your needs.

I notice the 91% SoH on our SV+ a bit more as it's less efficient (heavy wheels). I think I may put a set of ev01s in it next summer.

I see. I don't think I've ever had my Leaf under 7-9% SOC and normally I charge when I drop below 20% so that probably makes it pretty easy for me.

My Leaf is a purely in-town car and while I've done over 100 miles on a single charge (while staying within my self-imposed SOC limits) that is pretty uncommon. Most of my trips are 30 miles or less and for that, it is still just perfect. Hopefully the drop in SOH will slow down now that it's approaching 90%. At least that seems pretty common from what I've read here.

oxothuk said:
For the past few months I've been doing full charges more often than I did in the past and making note of how many GIDS I have afterwards. When the car was new I once got to 763 GIDS, nowadays it's usually 705-720.
Here's a question for you "lifer" Leafers: if we had these kinds of numbers in 2011/2012, would there have been a class action law suit (for battery pack replacement)? Whether you look at it as a % loss or gross GIDs, I think the simple fact that we're talking about ~200 miles of range would have alleviated some of the range anxiety. I definitely think there's been an improvement in cell chemistry, but I still wonder what would have happened if Nissan just "bit the bullet" and pushed for a higher capacity battery pack initially...even if it added $10k to the cost of the car. The fact is, I really like my 2011 Leaf...now that it has a 40kWh battery pack. :D

Back