Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OldManCan said:
https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/nissan-leaf-and-armada-repeat-as-kbb-com-5-year-cost-to-own-award-winners/?fbclid=IwAR18gDmdIWb9_hK-p_UiYPhD1XFwLi_0TmYnCGPmIMiNgChvWDgms6AtxuM

The 2022 Nissan LEAF and Nissan Armada are on winning streaks when it comes to KBB.com’s annual 5-Year Cost to Own Awards – five years in a row for the LEAF electric vehicle and two years in a row for the flagship Armada full-size SUV.

Interesting article that spans the non-pickup market - from an actual useable EV to the large luxury SUV. Having an oldie but goodie Suburban as the work horse hauler and the SV+ as the go-to any other time is working well for me.

Another good article with some data points on ICE vs EV "refueling" costs...

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/19/cost-of-charging-ev-vs-gas-prices.html

Image below grabbed from the linked article above and included here for those who might not have time to go through the whole lot.

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 10.54.16 AM.png

Hummm, just today I drove 105 miles can consumed 28.63 kWh which at our off peak rate of .0603 turns in to $1.73 to go approx. 100 miles. And that is at 266 Wh/Mile or just under 4 miles per kw in Leaf speak :) If I would have had to supercharge it would have been about $7

DougWantsALeaf said:
More Leaf orders.

https://www.moveelectric.com/e-cars/new-leaf-life-meet-coachbuilt-nissan-leaf-electric-hearse
That looks horrible, not a good design turning into a hearse at all.

OldManCan said:
https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/nissan-leaf-and-armada-repeat-as-kbb-com-5-year-cost-to-own-award-winners/?fbclid=IwAR18gDmdIWb9_hK-p_UiYPhD1XFwLi_0TmYnCGPmIMiNgChvWDgms6AtxuM

I'm not at all sure that those reports have any useful meaning. Certainly their 'cost to own' numbers are not even close to what I pay, and I'm not even sure that the relative amounts make sense. I recently sold my 2013 Nissan LEAF after 5.5 years of ownership, and I sold my Tesla Model 3 after 4.5 years of ownership. My total TCO for the LEAF was $620 and the TCO for the Model 3 was ~ $3,000. The difference was from the costs of registration and insurance. In each case I sold the car for $2,000 more than I paid. For those keeping track, the last 10 years of combined ownership cost me $1 a day per car

I'm not saying that my costs are in anyway typical, only that KBB can be waaay off. I used to think that if KBB says it costs X to own car x and Y to own car y, then car y is Y/X more expensive to own. Maybe ?? Perhaps on average, but who knows.

Sorry to post in wrong topic but site search for moderator failed. I took a bad fall on my ebike last night, Out of action for a while. I'd appreciate it if other mods can step in. Ive been hit by a car in past but this is first real fall indecades,,,

LeftieBiker said:
Sorry to post in wrong topic but site search for moderator failed. I took a bad fall on my ebike last night, Out of action for a while. I'd appreciate it if other mods can step in. Ive been hit by a car in past but this is first real fall indecades,,,
Sorry to hear about your fall Leftie, wish you the best in recovery.
While I use to bike everywhere and did the occasional 100-mile and longer tour, those days have come to an end for me :( Back in the day I had a nice Motobecane 10-speed somewhat racing bike that I upgraded basically everything over the years, except the frame to top-of-the-line Shimono Dura-Ace equipment. I believe it ended up being a 24-speed, drop bar shifters, etc,
That bike became a bit hard to ride so 20 years ago? I purchased a nice off-the-shelf Raleigh 21-speed road bike with upright handlebars that I drove for many years but not on any real 100-mile trips, 30-40 miles was about it and never any overnighters.
Well now it's been probably a decade since taking the Raleigh on a ride and with my awful knees, I doubt I ever will again :( I've thought about a fatter tire E-bike but just can't talk myself into purchasing yet another bike, besides I'm just not sure how stable on it I'd be and again with my knees I'm not sure they would bend enough to keep my butt on the seat, it sucks getting old and your body wearing out :cry:
Again wishing you a good recovery but while you may not want to think about it, at some point, like me, you may have to get off the saddle for good, getting injured is just too great a risk for your body.

Yup as jjeff says sorry for your fall Leftie and best of luck as you go forward....... and jjeff my knees are better now that I am biking more, on a Specialized mountain bike with a Bafang mid mount electric motor, I am on it every day that I can even if only to go to the farther fields on the farm and the knees benefit from the motion (I think).

Heal well Leftie. Glad you are OK.

I have to say that falling is one thing that scares me about eBikes. I'm a pretty slow biker these days and when I go faster, it's usually just down a hill which doesn't last too long. Unless I'm in the mountains (and it's been a few years) where there are 10+ mile downhill runs.

I was doing about 16MPH, got hit with fatigue, fell asleep, and woke up the second or third time as I was crossing from the shoulder to a shallow, wooded gully. I made the classic motorcycle mistake of trying to get back up, rather than just stop while descending. Ended up plastered on the road like a dead skunk. The windshield and panniers saved the bike, and my ass, too likely. Well, not my ass, actually. Sadly, not my ass. Or my arms.

My 5 minutes sitting sidesaddle at the computer desk is now up.

"Surprisingly, iSeeCars’ data reveals that the Nissan Leaf had the highest price increase in July 2022 compared to July 2021. The Leaf saw a 45% year-over-year price increase to have an average used car price of $28,787. The Chevrolet Bolt EV (29.3%), Tesla Model S (27.5%), Tesla Model X (19.7%), and Tesla Model 3 (16.2%) rounded out the top five EVs with the highest year-over-year price increase."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleantechnica.com/2022/08/25/2022-nissan-leaf-s-plus-cleantechnica-review-video/amp/

DougWantsALeaf said:
"Surprisingly, iSeeCars’ data reveals that the Nissan Leaf had the highest price increase in July 2022 compared to July 2021. The Leaf saw a 45% year-over-year price increase to have an average used car price of $28,787. The Chevrolet Bolt EV (29.3%), Tesla Model S (27.5%), Tesla Model X (19.7%), and Tesla Model 3 (16.2%) rounded out the top five EVs with the highest year-over-year price increase."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleantechnica.com/2022/08/25/2022-nissan-leaf-s-plus-cleantechnica-review-video/amp/

This is a unique short-time situation caused by shortages of new cars and high gasoline prices.

Back