Door Locking Problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2013 Leaf. I used to be able to lock all the doors when leaving the car by opening the door, pushing the Lock button on the inside of the door, then getting out and closing the door.

Now, when I do that, I just hear a fast beeping for a couple of seconds and find the doors are not locked.

I don't see anything in LeafSpy about that.

The only thing that has happened that might have caused this difference in operation is that the 12V battery went dead when a friend was driving the car. The battery did not have to be replaced, just recharged and its connection was loose, so I presume for some time period the 12V was completely disconnected. I don't know if the problem above started right away then or not, since I was not driving the car until a few weeks later.

I looked in the manual and tried the procedure of turning the car on and holding the lock or unlock button on the inside of the door for five seconds. After doing that one way or the other, the fast beeping would not happen, but the doors still would not lock.

All the other locking modes work fine, like the outside door handle buttons.

When you say all other locking modes work, does that mean you can lock/unlock the doors when sitting inside using the switch?

Can you read or clear trouble codes using LeafSpy? There have been reports of some codes that take multiple steps to clear.

Were there trouble codes listed before you cleared them?

Weak 12V batteries can cause all sorts of weird issues on these cars so if you had a weak 12V battery and especially if there were codes related to CAN communications, etc I would suspect that is the problem.

That said, I don't know how to proceed except to maybe clear the codes, disconnect the 12V battery, clear the codes again, etc a few times. There have been cases where codes did not clear on the first attempt and it took multiple cycles to get them to clear.

AlanD said:
I looked in the manual and tried the procedure of turning the car on and holding the lock or unlock button on the inside of the door for five seconds. After doing that one way or the other, the fast beeping would not happen, but the doors still would not lock.
If you know a "friendly" dealer, you might have them try to set the lock/unlock default with their CONSULT console (that's how I did mine originally). I believe you can now do this from LeafSpy, but this gives you another option.

The system won't lock the doors if it senses that a door or the trunk is ajar. Open and close all doors, then open the trunk and make sure the latch is clean. Then, firmly close the trunk and see if you can then lock all the doors via the fob.

There were a bunch of codes, but I did not record them. I did have to clear some more than once. There was one that would not clear. It reads: >B26FC 0009 BCM Keyfob Miss Registration SEC-90[/i]

The keyfob locks and unlocks the doors without problem.

The original problem remains, but it is something I can live with. Would be nice to solve though. I haven't any dealings with any dealers and this is not that high a priority to take the time right now.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Make sure that the new 12V battery you installed is fully charged, as low voltage will cause a bunch of seemingly unrelated trouble codes to be thrown.

I had a strange problem with the handle lock on my 2022 Leaf. I was in a parking garage next to a large ventilation fan. The doors would not lock with the handle lock but would lock when using the key fob. When I returned to the car I had to use the key fob to unlock the doors. After I left the garage the handle button's operation was back to normal. The only thing that I can think of was interference from the magnetic field of the large fan. Just wondering if anyone has some ideas.

My guess would be electro-magnetic pulses from the brushes in the fans causing some sort of circuit that 'de-bounces' the door lock buttons to never activate the doors. That's a long shot but it's a weird one.

In other words, EM spikes from the fans are picked up in the car circuitry and constantly reset the circuit that qualifies the door buttons changing state.

My suggestion:

Is it possible you have a 2nd fob inside the car?

Leaf won't let you lock yourself out
Another fob inside the car could possibly be thwarting your locking intentions.

The Fob was not in the car when the problem occurred. Yesterday I was in the same underground parking garage again. I made sure not to park near the ventilation fan. Again, I had trouble locking and unlocking the car with the button on the door handle. Fortunately the Fob worked fine. By the way, I have a 2022 S+. Never had this problem with my 2017 S. Very strange, but everything works as it should outside of this garage. Maybe the garage has something against Nissan.

AlanD said:
I have a 2013 Leaf. I used to be able to lock all the doors when leaving the car by opening the door, pushing the Lock button on the inside of the door, then getting out and closing the door.

Now, when I do that, I just hear a fast beeping for a couple of seconds and find the doors are not locked.

I don't see anything in LeafSpy about that.

The only thing that has happened that might have caused this difference in operation is that the 12V battery went dead when a friend was driving the car. The battery did not have to be replaced, just recharged and its connection was loose, so I presume for some time period the 12V was completely disconnected. I don't know if the problem above started right away then or not, since I was not driving the car until a few weeks later.

All the other locking modes work fine, like the outside door handle buttons.

The 12 volt issue wiped out your settings so you can use LEAF Spy to reset the locking process or there is an Easter egg process you can use w/o LEAF Spy? LEAF Spy is easiest by far.

I tried locking the doors from the in side and then closing the door and it worked! My original problem was that it did not work, but would give me a couple of seconds of beeping.

I have tried it several times recently and it worked all the time except perhaps once. I don't know what was different on that one. So, the problem seems solved, at least mostly, but why it is solved is still a mystery to me.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

AlanD said:
I tried locking the doors from the in side and then closing the door and it worked! My original problem was that it did not work, but would give me a couple of seconds of beeping.

I have tried it several times recently and it worked all the time except perhaps once. I don't know what was different on that one. So, the problem seems solved, at least mostly, but why it is solved is still a mystery to me.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Could be a weak battery not accurately tracking the movement of the fob or simply random signal hiccups. I see this randomly quite frequently and pretty sure its simply me being too fast getting out of the car and hitting the button too quickly because it always works the 2nd button push. There does seem to be a bit of a lag.

Back