Inside EVS 70 mph Range Testing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danrjones

microsoftteams-image-7.png

https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791/ev-range-test-results/

I'm curious to see where the RWD Ioniq 5 comes in, because the AWD didn't do that well. ID4 wins out slightly against I5.

My poor 2018 Leaf isn't on the list. I've never managed more than 92 miles on a drive, though I have never gone to zero.

My 2018 should be for sale within a month if anyone here wants it... but most likely to carmax or whomever is willing to pick up.

Impressive test data and surprised that they did so well at 70mph.

Too bad they didn't include the vehicle weight and size of the Pack in the table so it would be somewhat useful.

oOGqXWg.png

The fixation on EV range thanks to big battery packs bugs me...

If EV manufacturers could standardize on a swappable EV pack design, that uses LFP cells like the BYD Blade battery system, then 60 kWh packs would work for most EVs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEvR3kyx_KM

When doing road trips, you would drive for about 3 hours, pull into a roadside battery swapping shop, then a robot would swap the depleted pack for a fully charged one in about 5 minutes.

Instead of building out electrical infrastructure to place high speed L3 chargers all over the place, standardized 60 kWh packs could be charged in major urban centers and then trucked out or transported by train to swapping shops located along major highway routes.

For more remote locations on minor routes, strategically deploy DC fast chargers as needed.

alozzy said:
If EV manufacturers could standardize on a swappable EV pack design, that uses LFP cells like the BYD Blade battery system, then 60 kWh packs would work for most EVs.
Instead of building out electrical infrastructure to place high speed L3 chargers all over the place, standardized 60 kWh packs could be charged in major urban centers and then trucked out or transported by train to swapping shops located along major highway routes.
Pack swapping is a bad idea who's business case has already been proven as a failure.
Can you imagine what would happen if we asked major car manufacturers to share/standardize ICE designs? Where's the competitive advantage?

nlspace said:
Impressive test data

This graph you posted is interesting, but it should be normalized to frontal area. It does suggest a remarkable Tesla advantage.

Stanton said:
Pack swapping is a bad idea who's business case has already been proven as a failure.
Can you imagine what would happen if we asked major car manufacturers to share/standardize ICE designs? Where's the competitive advantage?

Aren't all ICE cars standardized on gasoline :)

I realize gas tanks vary in size and shape, but who gets all excited about gas tank designs? There's lots of room for innovation with EVs besides battery pack tech and consortiums exist in other industries for sharing technology. EV packs should be a boring detail, rather than the central focus.

Some day they will be a boring detail, but right now the industry is far too focused on how far you can drive in a given EV based on battery tech.

Building out high speed DC charging is going to cost trillions of dollars in the US alone. There's got to be a better way of transitioning to EVs than huge battery packs, resultant heavy cars, and DC fast chargers every 100 miles in every direction.

Don't know the cycle testing, it came from the video.

AC mains electricity is ubiquitous and fungible, just like oil and gasoline, and how you use it has nearly unlimited applications.

Full tanks of gasoline could be swapped out at fuel stations, but somebody decided that is not an cost-efficient solution, just like swapping out battery packs--sure it could be done, but is it efficient from a cost aspect?

Pack swapping would require making packs a fungible item, but it seems to me that there are too many variables with chemistry, cooling system considerations, communication with the vehicle, etc. for it to ever be a viable solution.

I want to be open minded, so I'm not going to say pack swapping couldn't work in places. But I don't see that working where I live.
Maybe for urban areas, but in remote areas and areas with a lot of terrain, wilderness, where would those go exactly?

My next EV, whatever it is, I'm hoping to have enough range to reach trails I like to hike in the mountains. That requires a bigger battery pack than 60 kWh. And I'm pretty certain you won't see battery swap stations in the wilderness or up in the forest service back roads. And you might say mine is a niche case, but where I live, everyone is a niche case. I don't see battery swapping stations along US 395 on the back side of the sierra's. The infrastructure for fast chargers would be easier - we have power lines everywhere. And I'd like to be able to drive as far as possible between stops. I'd love a realistic 300 miles of real world 70 mph range from 10-80%, which means at least 400 miles of EPA range, probably more. I know I won't get that with my next EV, but hopefully my next next.

Plus DC fast chargers will support newer and better battery pack chemistries of the future - solid state, whatever we come up with.

Not to mention RVs and towing, real long haul RVing and towing, will need mammoth battery packs - or a different fuel altogether.

In the end, I think we need to give consumers what they want, even if some find it slightly obtuse; otherwise, you won't see people converting to EVs.

Stanton said:

So, despite what you claimed, it would seem that Nio is actually finding success with battery swapping, not only in China but in Norway too. They also have plans to expand to more European markets, with Germany next on their list...

https://youtu.be/YT1raxxvrHo

danrjones said:
In the end, I think we need to give consumers what they want, even if some find it slightly obtuse; otherwise, you won't see people converting to EVs.

True for the pampered class. For the large migration it is all about cost.

Back