2022 Leaf (non-Bose) audio quality - finding the right EQ settings?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMF5000

I have a brand new 40kWh 2022 Leaf, with the navigation system option but without ProPilot and without the Bose sub.

I'm looking to hear how other drivers have set up their audio settings.

Basically, to me it sounds like something's missing from the stock sound, and for over two months I've been messing with the EQs every time I'm stuck in a traffic jam, but I still can't find settings that sound "right".

After much pondering I've concluded it might be the low-mid bass that's lacking. The frequencies between 100-300Hz that carry the enjoyable deep notes from guitars, pianos, synth pads etc.

There's no shortage of low bass (20-50Hz, the frequencies with the "thump" of the bass drum) - in fact if I turn the bass EQ slider too far up with the bass booster on, the low bass notes get loud enough to be annoying and detract from the rest of the song (aside from making the doors rattle).

There's also no shortage of treble. I usually set the treble slider so sibilance sounds (i.e. when the singer vocalises the letter "s") aren't constricted. This corresponds to about +2 to +4 on the treble slider on the screen. For reference, I'm in my early 30s, so in theory my ears can't detect frequencies much above ~14kHz

It's the mids that are the problem. I've tried raising the mid slider, and that helps a little, but also raises the undesirable middle frequencies (basically the "muddy noise" component of the song).

---

The other problem is that the sound varies significantly based on source. If I have the EQ set up adequately for USB, then when I switch to DAB radio the treble is too strong and the base is too weak.

I'm not expecting it to sound as good as the speakers in my house, I understand that cars are far from ideal for getting great sound, but previous cars have sounded somewhat better than this, and the particular sound quality is taking the joy out of my music and making me drive in silence most days. I wouldn't mind swapping out the drivers (speakers) with better units if anyone knows of compatible units that genuinely help, but if you just listed down your sound settings or shared your opinions on the leaf's sound and what worked for you, it would help greatly.

I cut the high end slightly, raised the mid-range slightly, and either left the low end alone or gave it just a tiny boost. I'm not as much an audiophile as I once was, but I had been worried that the Base SV stereo would disappoint me, and it hasn't.

Thanks for the ideas. I did find that moving the bias to the rear helped in some cases since treble didn't travel as well from back to front as bass (so the net effect was making the sound more deep and well rounded). But after hours of trying I found myself back at zero fader. Right now I'm at +2 bass, +2 mid, +4 treble and bass booster on. It sounds good playing songs from a USB stick, sounds great playing online radio via android auto (using the replaio radio app), but has too much treble when playing DAB.

Easy upgrade of the door speakers with Infinity Kappa 62ix. Two-ohm 2-way that is as “drop-in” as it gets with appropriate mounting rings and Metra connectors to keep the stock wiring. Definite improvement. Not night and day, mind you, but def improvement. I’d say an hour or so total, depending on whether you’ve taken door panels off before, etc. 100% reversible as the mounting rings lined up exactly to the three stock screw locations.

Doanster1 said:
Easy upgrade of the door speakers with Infinity Kappa 62ix

Have you installed these on the stock non-bose head unit? If so, do you get much bass from it?

I tried JVC Club 6522 and got beautifully clear mid/high ends, but very little bass compared to the factory speakers even after cranking the bass up in EQ,

4BrianOutLoud said:
Doanster1 said:

Have you installed these on the stock non-bose head unit? If so, do you get much bass from it?

I tried JVC Club 6522 and got beautifully clear mid/high ends, but very little bass compared to the factory speakers even after cranking the bass up in EQ,

For people who are as foolish as me: be sure to put the plastic door piece back on to judge the sound as it affects the acoustics.
The Club 6522 is still a little under-powered for bass compared to the factory speakers, but much better than I initially though.

4BrianOutLoud said:
Doanster1 said:

Not Earth-shattering, but better and cleaner than stock as I said. Def worth it for me considering small cost and time to install.

The real problem is the door speakers. I replaced mine with Dayton Audio RS180P drivers which much improved the mid-bass.

Back