Charging at an RV Park?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's true I guess, plus it's free, and as you said it's not like you are waiting at a station for it to charge.\, just set it and forget it like home charging.

AND, you won't have to worry about sitting there charging at 100%, that probably would take days!

We drive out to camp pretty much every weekend in our 2018 SL, (40 KwH pack) which takes up 70-80% of the pack depending on conditions, AC use etc. 12 amps from the OEM charger @120V works fine to top up the pack for the return trip, but it does take about 20 hours to get back to 100% for the return.

This soaks up a few kWs too..ha.

IMG_8026.jpeg

alozzy said:
@LeafPowerIsIxE That's not actually the correct unit. You want to order this one instead:

https://www.e-zencar.net/product/evse-32a/

Order it with a 14-30P, then when it arrives you can remove the unused neutral blade from the plug. Doing that allows you to use it with both NEMA 14-30R and NEMA 14-50R supplies.

If you want assistance with creating an adapter cable to allow TT-30 and regular 120V outlet charging, then PM me for details.

I had planned to do exactly the same thing with our Clipper Creek 24 amp EVSE, but Clipper Creek told me that cutting off the neutral would void the warranty. I had no idea why since it isn't used by the EVSE. So I made an adapter by using a short cord with a 14-50 plug and attaching a 14-30R to the other end. By the way, I cut off the neutral on that cord so that I could try it out with the 14-30R in our garage.

^^^ that's a good point, and a good workaround. Most mfgs. might deny the warranty if you were to modify something, even possibly cutting off the unused neutral plug. I know when I purchased my first cheap Chinese EVSE, an Ebusbar 16a EVSE off Amazon I gave a second thought to cutting off the supplied plug on day one and wiring on a L6-30p I had decided to standardize on. Actually, before I cut the molded plug off I tried it out to verify it worked out of the box as it seems to me oftentimes the most likely chance of something being bad is straight out of the box, if it works then, oftentimes it will continue to work. Anyway it worked so I wired on the plug of my choice, but I was taking a bit of a chance. Probably even more than just cutting off a prong on the plug as someone might not notice that if you returned it, they are sure to notice a totally different plug :lol:
BTW over 5 years later and near-daily use, my cheap Ebusbar is still working!(as is my Zencar but I don't use that one daily)

bmw said:
alozzy said:
@LeafPowerIsIxE That's not actually the correct unit. You want to order this one instead:

https://www.e-zencar.net/product/evse-32a/

Order it with a 14-30P, then when it arrives you can remove the unused neutral blade from the plug. Doing that allows you to use it with both NEMA 14-30R and NEMA 14-50R supplies.

I had planned to do exactly the same thing with our Clipper Creek 24 amp EVSE, but Clipper Creek told me that cutting off the neutral would void the warranty. I had no idea why since it isn't used by the EVSE.

In the case of the Zencar I was fortunately able to remove the neutral blade rather than having to cut it off. I'm not surprised that Clipper Creek didn't like the idea of cutting off the blade. Glad you were able to find a workaround.

Back