Newbie Leaf Spy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaronLithium

Hi all. Just got my 2022 SV Plus a couple of months ago, and I finally tried loading up Leaf Spy to take a look at the battery health stats and cell voltages. *I have no idea how to interpretthe data here, but I'm assuming that cell voltages that are closer together are better when the car is fully charged. I left the car on the charger overnight and still had this graph in the morning.
cZvSrTB.png

It looks to me like one of my battery cells is reading pretty low. Is this normal? If I wanted the dealership to check it, how should I go about asking them? I don't know how much they like hearing about people using tools like Leaf Spy...

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks ya'll.

Welcome. 23mv is not a large difference, even though it looks that way on the histogram. It may go down a bit over time, but even if it stays there it is fine. The dealer will not be interested, believe me. They don't want to acknowledge major problems like bad cells unless they produce error codes, so a 23mv difference, shown by an app that they don't recognize, won't interest them in the slightest.

I had a feeling the dealer wouldn't be interested. I need to get myself up to speed or what LeafSpy can do, is there a repository of information for LeafSpy functions anywhere?

The closest thing would be the LeafSpy topics, with the one for Android users likely being more useful. Basically, LeafSpy Pro (the registered version) reads and translates most of the coded messages sent from the battery management system (BMS) in the car's battery pack. It can do at least two other things as well: read diagnostic error messages (and with a couple of exceptions, reset them) and change options like auto locking behavior, light off-timing settings, and similar things. It used to be able to change the volume of or silence the Pedestrian Warning sound, but Nissan made that impossible somewhere around 2021.

LeafSpy has an information page in the app.
Tap the three horizontal lines at the top right.
Tap “?About & Help”
Tap “Application Help”
Voila!

I spent £ 12.99 on a leafspy, for my 2013, 77,000 mile leaf, three previous owners. My kids (who are much more computer savvy than I am) say I should replace three cells and my car will be like brand new. It's showing nine bars, they say it should be up to 11 after replacing these calls

I think leafspy is mostly valuable on older leaves. Now, where do I go to get my dodgy three cells replaced in the UK?

Before you try to get cells replaced, would you post the LeafSpy histogram - the graphic that looks like a graph? You can upload it to a free image hosting site like Imgur, then link it here.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll be keeping an eye on my cell health and doing some reading through the leafspy help screens.

BaronLithium said:
Hi all. Just got my 2022 SV Plus a couple of months ago, and I finally tried loading up Leaf Spy to take a look at the battery health stats and cell voltages. *I have no idea how to interpretthe data here, but I'm assuming that cell voltages that are closer together are better when the car is fully charged. I left the car on the charger overnight and still had this graph in the morning.
cZvSrTB.png

It looks to me like one of my battery cells is reading pretty low. Is this normal? If I wanted the dealership to check it, how should I go about asking them? I don't know how much they like hearing about people using tools like Leaf Spy...

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks ya'll.

Low cells should only be evaluated when the SOC is low. You can change the screen resolution to make it look "nicer"

The dealer will do nothing until the issue affects the operation of the car which will only happen at low SOC and its my guess, it would be VERY low SOC. Mine was 37ish? mV out at 99.3% but only in the mid 20's at mid SOC ranges. Yours will likely merge with the pack. I don't charge to full enough to make any real definitive statements other than the last few times, the delta was 27, 23 and 22 mV. I only know this due to LEAF Spy logs as I didn't really remember (or care) at the time.

My kids have gone back to Italy, so I don't have access to the data any more, as they took the Android phone with them. I have one on order, it should turn up sometime next week. Then I will have to learn Android. How do I send diagnostics to my Linux computer, which is what I am using to talk to you? I wasn't anticipating activating email on the Android phone, which I only anticipate using for subscribing to EV chargepoints (the main network, Instavolt, in the UK has just announced that it's going to accept contactless, so I won't need that - sigh) and using the Leaf Spy.

I've used Linux for computing for decades, and my phone is a phone, it makes phone calls. Android and Leaf Spy are all a bit confusing. As is the Leaf, I've only just learned how to set the clock to daylight saving time. So many buttons! On the steering wheel, on the dashboard, everywhere!

I should mention that my previous car was a 1969 Wolseley 18/85 Automatic. I don't replace my cars that often.

Back