Solar Trailer math

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
watchdoc said:
here's an artilce on the Enphase IQ8 and it's batteryless microgrid capability.

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2021/10...lar,battery to be paired with a solar system.

Extremely interesting "microgrid" approach that Enphase is developing;
1. Basically an AC coupled approach (microinverter based)
2. Essentially "batteryless" that (in the mode of no backup battery :mrgreen: ) it requires sunlight to operate the sub-panel stuff. Note that I have two similar systems - SMA provided this years ago with their "Secure Power Supply" as part of their grid tied Sunny Boy inverters. However having "grid forming" and auto disconnects are the "secret sauce" of Enphase.
3. Appears it is capable of shutdown and startup automatically of subpanel loads when operating "batteryless" - needs confirmation how this works.
4. Capable of adding battery backup - which being AC coupled combine with "grid forming" capabilities allows AC coupled battery systems to be added for both on and off grid - this definitely needs to be confirmed.
5. As generator inputs are built in - it may be possible to match this system of AC coupling to Ford Lightnings supplied AC outlets - one of which is a 30 amp 240 VAC split phase connection! With the "Platinum" model, that's 130 kWh of battery backup!!!
Hope to confirm this with Enphase. - it's not always obvious for sure.

Here is the pertinent quote from the linked IQ8H microinverter - lots of good information!

For a Sunlight Backup use case the Installer App will automatically set all controlled
loads to the Scheduled mode with a default time window of 9am to 4pm local time.
This means all essential loads (controlled by NC1, NC2, NO1 and NO2) are available
only between 9am to 4pm local time if the system is running off-grid i.e., during a grid
outage. This is to ensure that the system provides backup to loads only during time
periods where there is typically adequate sunlight and avoids multiple system restarts.
You can change the time window to any time between 7am to 8pm to match your local
sunrise/sunset conditions and available irradiance depending on the season. Note that
as instructed previously NC1 must be used for the Wi-Fi modem and router and must be
changed to the Manual mode.

https://enphase.com/store/microinverters/iq8-series/iq8h-microinverter

My installer told me "microgrid" power output would be only a fraction of the availalbe PV output but he couldn't give me the exact number. My specific question was. How many watts/amps will the Enphase microgrid output for off grid applications? His response was the enphase really isn't meant for off grid applications but the microgrid functionality might pair well with the F150L or generator.

Yes, the "batteryless" functionality if very limited, but using their approved batteries and generator systems, appears Enphase is going to provide a fairly robust "microgrid" system - especially with their fairly advanced load controls. The Ford Lightning will likely not be approved as a "generator" as it appears that the permanent, well grounded systems are going to be "approved".
Still worth consideration IMO if you have no interest in V2X as part of your battery backup/grid energy arbitrage.

Back