Out of pocket battery replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middlegroundnb

Anyone with experience getting a battery order approved/denied by Nissan corporate?

I have a 2016 (30 kWh) that I want to purchase a 40 kWh and have it installed. It is still covered the battery warranty, however it does not (and likely will not) qualify for a replacement (74% SoH). I have a quote, and I want to pay my own money to do this (usually commenters try to tell me it's a bad idea, this is what will work for me and I am happy to do it. Used prices where I live do NOT allow me to simply buy a 2018).

Nissan Canada requires a "battery diagnostic" (might be a CVLI test) to order the 40 kWh battery. But, as far as I can tell, my battery will pass this test - and my request to purchase will be denied. The nearest LEAF qualified dealer to perform this test is 400 km away, and at 74% SoH it is a big ask to do this twice. I worry that their testing will confirm that this is "normal degradation" and tell me to pound sand, but it doesn't meet my needs and I am willing to pay for the upgrade.

Welcome. Since Nissan seems to be limiting purchases of new batteries to those with degraded OEM batteries, I suggest that you look into having a lightly used battery installed. Since most people are looking for the 62kwh version, you may be able to find a used 40kwh pack from a front end collision that totaled the car. That should be considerably less expensive, but will be dependent on the vagaries of the used battery market...

middlegroundnb said:
worry that their testing will confirm that this is "normal degradation" and tell me to pound sand, but it doesn't meet my needs and I am willing to pay for the upgrade.
If you are "willing to pay for the upgrade", why not just call a couple of dealers and ask for a 40kWh pack install--straight up? If nothing else, we would be interested to know what they quoted.
For the record, I replaced/upgraded my 24kWh -> 40kWh pack; you can read about my experience here (https://www.myeva.org/blog/keeping-your-nissan-leaf).

I’ve been on a waiting list for 2 years to have a used battery installed. I was originally #7 on the list, and as far as I know - only 2 replacements have been done in that time. This is a shop that buys every wrecked Leaf they can in eastern Canada, and even they are scrambling to find used batteries.

LeftieBiker said:
Welcome. Since Nissan seems to be limiting purchases of new batteries to those with degraded OEM batteries, I suggest that you look into having a lightly used battery installed. Since most people are looking for the 62kwh version, you may be able to find a used 40kwh pack from a front end collision that totaled the car. That should be considerably less expensive, but will be dependent on the vagaries of the used battery market...

This is what I have done. Nissan Canada will not sell a battery to the dealer without the required test on the car, but provides no details to the customer on what this “test” is, or what the criteria are. Even the physical presence at the dealer to perform the test is a 2 day round trip, so without these details I am unable to proceed.

Stanton said:
middlegroundnb said:
worry that their testing will confirm that this is "normal degradation" and tell me to pound sand, but it doesn't meet my needs and I am willing to pay for the upgrade.
If you are "willing to pay for the upgrade", why not just call a couple of dealers and ask for a 40kWh pack install--straight up? If nothing else, we would be interested to know what they quoted.
For the record, I replaced/upgraded my 24kWh -> 40kWh pack; you can read about my experience here (https://www.myeva.org/blog/keeping-your-nissan-leaf).

Once the current LEAF generation is retired or lives on with that name but with completely different battery tech, then maybe Nissan will offer battery pack replacements for current gen LEAFs.

Until then, doing so would be shooting themselves in the foot, as it would hurt new LEAF sales to existing LEAF owners who have grown tired of limited range.

Very interesting problem.
If Nissan was willing to sell an upgrade, it would not be asking for evaluation first.
OP, I think your preferred route is blocked, at least for now unless you decide to damage your battery (which I would NOT do.)

OTOH, you are not going to like the price that Nissan charges for out of warranty battery replacements -- they are pretty outrageous, and I think doubly so in Canada. Some googling will bring them up. So even if Nissan was to change its policy, I honestly doubt that you would proceed. How much is you car worth on the used car market, and how much is a 40 kWh LEAF ?

SageBrush said:
OTOH, you are not going to like the price that Nissan charges for out of warranty battery replacements -- they are pretty outrageous, and I think doubly so in Canada. Some googling will bring them up. So even if Nissan was to change its policy, I honestly doubt that you would proceed. How much is you car worth on the used car market, and how much is a 40 kWh LEAF ?

(all prices in Canadian dollars) Battery replacement was quoted at nearly $13K. Current trade-in value of my 2016 is $16-18K, and 2018 Leafs (with already degraded 40 kWh batteries) are selling for $40K. $40K-18K = $22K out of pocket instead of $13K. I have already ruled this out.

Way off topic, but In addition to saving the ~$10K difference, I was also considering keeping the 30 kWh for home use to replace an aging 13 kWh lead-acid battery bank that powers my home. A home battery will cost me another $14-30K if sourced elsewhere, but to keep the 30 kWh Leaf battery I would simply have to pay the $1300 core charge (plus $1-2K in electronics and wiring).

middlegroundnb said:
(all prices in Canadian dollars) Battery replacement was quoted at nearly $13K. Current trade-in value of my 2016 is $16-18K, and 2018 Leafs (with already degraded 40 kWh batteries) are selling for $40K. $40K-18K = $22K out of pocket instead of $13K. I have already ruled this out.

I'll wager that is for the 24 kWh pack, no matter what you were told.

Back