The 40KWH Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danrjones said:
danrjones said:
I haven't updated since Jan 11th. Looks like I must have had an "adjustment" sometime the last week or two, and I (think) I am perilously close to loosing my first battery bar.

For REF on Mar 1st I was at at SOH 87.40

Yesterday:

SOH: 86.00
AmpHr: 99.28
Hx: 94.64
Miles: 13577

My stats as of yesterday:

SOH: 85.97%
AHr: 99.24
Hx:94.49
Miles: 13800

So when should I expect to loose the first battery bar? I must be getting close.

Don't look very close to me. I would start expecting the bar to drop around 95 ahr.

DaveinOlyWA said:
danrjones said:

So when should I expect to loose the first battery bar? I must be getting close.

Don't look very close to me. I would start expecting the bar to drop around 95 ahr.

I thought I had responded to this but I guess I didn't.

Why 95 ahr?

danrjones said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
danrjones said:

Why 95 ahr?

Well, don't know really other than that is the line in the sand Nissan has chosen to go with...

Newbie here. I just had a new 2022 Leaf S delivered with 17 miles on it. My wife and I drove it around for another 17 miles and then I plugged in Leaf Spy. My SOH is 99.16%, Ahr is 114.47, but my cell difference is 33 mv. Is that bad and will it get better? (I'd post a screenshot but I'll have to study the image posting topic a little more.)
Thanks

albalone said:
Newbie here. I just had a new 2022 Leaf S delivered with 17 miles on it. My wife and I drove it around for another 17 miles and then I plugged in Leaf Spy. My SOH is 99.16%, Ahr is 114.47, but my cell difference is 33 mv. Is that bad and will it get better? (I'd post a screenshot but I'll have to study the image posting topic a little more.)
Thanks

That is fine - don't worry. Our 2020 SV+ came with a SOH of 98% - probably from sitting on the lot for a year, fully charged. And 33mv isn't bad. It may or may not improve.

albalone said:
Thanks

Mine was 37 mV at delivery. Its "probably" down to the mid 20's by now (I don't do full charges very often)

DaveinOlyWA said:
danrjones said:

Why 95 ahr?

Well, don't know really other than that is the line in the sand Nissan has chosen to go with...

Ok, sorry, I wasn't trying to be difficult, I just didn't know there was a hard line in the sand that had been reported. I thought only one or two real confirmed examples of a lost bar for a 2018 existed (?), so I must have missed the 95 ahr as the lost bar metric.

This morning:

SOH: 85.60
AHr: 98.82
Hx: 96.67
odo: 14814

I've entered the time of year where I loose one or even two clicks every day off AHr/SOH, and the battery temp gauge pretty much is always one (or even two notches in the afternoon) above medium.

albalone said:
Thanks

The cell difference will be much tighter(smaller) when the car has been fully charged because the last 1-2 hours of charging is at a noticeably lower rate & the car is balancing the cells to make them closer. However you don't want to fully charge the car very often & preferably on right before you are about to leave drive 20-50 miles to deplete the battery below 90-70% depending on whom you ask around here. I typically do that every 1-2 months & then head to my local Costco 25 miles away.

LeftieBiker said:
albalone said:
Thanks

That is fine - don't worry. Our 2020 SV+ came with a SOH of 98% - probably from sitting on the lot for a year, fully charged. And 33mv isn't bad. It may or may not improve.

Our 2020 40 kWh battery in our 2016 SL will loose about 0.01 SOH daily as long as the 12 volt battery is connected. Disconnecting the 12 volt battery seems to suspend SOH decline I learned after our Leaf was totalled 7 Nov 2020.

When charging this morning cell differences was in 18mv range. When the dash percentage of charge read 95% cell differences was 5mv. Normally I charge to 100%.

I am working to limit max LSP battery temperature to 95F degrees with daily driving and charging. Air temps today was 97F.

GaleHawkins said:
When the dash percentage of charge read 95% cell differences was 5mv. Normally I charge to 100%.

I am working to limit max LSP battery temperature to 95F degrees with daily driving and charging. Air temps today was 97F.
If you are trying to "extend" the life of your battery, this combination (bolded by me) is not the way to do it. Either don't charge to anything close to 100% (I do ~80%) or don't charge (daily) when you know battery temps are in the 90's.
I also have a 40 kWh pack from 2020 in my 2011 Leaf.

How many miles do you now have on your 2020 40 kWh battery and what is your current SOH percentage? I'm guessing your area is kissing triple digits currently?

I saw 1F Temp rise from 92F to 93F when adding 60 miles of range 1:30 to 5 am this morning. At 9am the battery pack highest was 87F near air temperature.

From 5 to 9 am I did have the 40 kWh battery pack electrical removed but not sure it was a factor in pack temps.

Over the 18 months the car without any charging SOH dropped from 96.08 to 95.72. I estimate the battery pack was connected about 40 days when it was at other shops. I saw no SOH decline when the 12 volt battery was disconnected. I had to prove that to be factual before I could believe it.

IMO, this is more evidence that the SOH reading in the car is trying to predict the actual capacity of the battery. There is probably a true measurement done every 3 months (the adjustments that have been observed) and then it's back to running the estimation routine daily.

The parameters of the estimator are also probably updated every time the 3 month adjustment is done, but like the GOM, and like Yogi Berra said, it's hard to make predictions, especially about the future.

danrjones said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
danrjones said:

Why 95 ahr?

Ok, sorry, I wasn't trying to be difficult, I just didn't know there was a hard line in the sand that had been reported. I thought only one or two real confirmed examples of a lost bar for a 2018 existed (?), so I must have missed the 95 ahr as the lost bar metric.

This morning:

SOH: 85.60
AHr: 98.82
Hx: 96.67
odo: 14814

I've entered the time of year where I loose one or even two clicks every day off AHr/SOH, and the battery temp gauge pretty much is always one (or even two notches in the afternoon) above medium.

This is based on the few I know that lost a bar. 2 didn't have LEAF Spy so who knows, right? But one who lost his just about a month ago or a bit longer checked his LEAF Spy immediately so his would be pretty much right on at least concerning his car and he was at 94.99 or 94.91or thereabouts. Others look at LEAF Spy once every few months or less so... Not a lot of definitive lines to look at.

Yesterday hit 101F and I saw the Max battery temp hit 107F after a 15 Mile trip starting out at 98F. I was running the AC and pushing it hard on takeoff. After a 2 hour appointment it was was down to 103F

On return trip I drove 35 MPH with no AC with only .5F Temp rise.

Normally I charge to 100% so the BMS can do it's job better and blue is my favorite color. The finished mV cell differences normally is 4-6 mV and all bars are blue. 2mV is the lowest I see.

Elon Musk states a big downside to charging to 100% is the loss of Regen.

GaleHawkins said:
Yesterday hit 101F and I saw the Max battery temp hit 107F after a 15 Mile trip starting out at 98F. I was running the AC and pushing it hard on takeoff. After a 2 hour appointment it was was down to 103F

Normally I charge to 100% so the BMS can do it's job better and blue is my favorite color. The finished mV cell differences normally is 4-6 mV and all bars are blue. 2mV is the lowest I see.

Well, this is a new one on me. How is this process circumventing science? A tight cell balance is nice but it won't prevent cell failure. Cells that are going to fail will fail no matter what. Nothing you can do to stop that.

cVC3e7Ch.png

4 years plus 4 months, 36808 miles. SOH 89.03

I got a pleasant surprise this last adjustment period, up .88% even with the hot weather in June.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GaleHawkins said:

Well, this is a new one on me. How is this process circumventing science? A tight cell balance is nice but it won't prevent cell failure. Cells that are going to fail will fail no matter what. Nothing you can do to stop that.

That doesn't jive out per my experience and reading. I still see mV difference as low as 2mV when charged.

Back