Federal EV Charging Standard Proposal

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CanuckEVDriver said:
I was just wondering about CCS conversion kits for the Leaf? There may have been a post about this, and I may have missed it. If there was a option to swap out my CHAdeMO /J1772 board for a CCS/J1772 board, I'd do it without even thinking twice about it.

I also like that the Federal EV Charging Standard Proposal talks about a simple pay. I'd love it if I didn't have to "sign-in" to an app AND then use my credit card to start a public charge. Sometimes, I've found myself installing yet another silly app on my mobile, in inclement weather, just to be able to charge my car. This just adds another 10-15 minutes to get the car charged up.

When ICE cars go to a gas station, they just put the nozzle in, tap the credit card on the pump, then pump in the gas. Back on the road in 5 minutes. Why can't EV cars do the same? (maybe a bit longer to charge, but at least you're not wasting time just trying to get the charger to start)
You can do exactly that with a Tesla. Just plug the car in and the software does the rest. Tesla has offered in the past to allow other manufacturers to to use the supercharger network. Just chip in to help pay for the stations. Nobody took them up on the offer.

CCS could do the same but you would need to modify the comm protocol to identify the vehicle ( VIN number most likely since it's available on the CAN bus already). The Charger software could do the rest. Right now you use an RFID tag or a credit card so the billing software is already in place.

EVGO uses an RFID card and it is no more difficult to use than a gas pump. Plug the cable in, select the cable type, and tap the RFID card to the reader. Less complicated than a gas pump where I have to select credit or debit, try to get the card reader to work, whether I want a car wash or not, what my loyalty number is, and which quality of gas i want.

johnlocke said:
You can do exactly that with a Tesla. Just plug the car in and the software does the rest. Tesla has offered in the past to allow other manufacturers to to use the supercharger network. Just chip in to help pay for the stations. Nobody took them up on the offer.

CCS could do the same but you would need to modify the comm protocol to identify the vehicle ( VIN number most likely since it's available on the CAN bus already). The Charger software could do the rest. Right now you use an RFID tag or a credit card so the billing software is already in place.

EVGO uses an RFID card and it is no more difficult to use than a gas pump. Plug the cable in, select the cable type, and tap the RFID card to the reader. Less complicated than a gas pump where I have to select credit or debit, try to get the card reader to work, whether I want a car wash or not, what my loyalty number is, and which quality of gas i want.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35044132/plug-and-charge-ev-charging-mustang-mach-e/

CCS does do the same with the Plug And Charge standard, ISO 15118. A public standard, open to any. Not a closed standard, not subject to the whims of one person.

WetEV said:
CCS does do the same with the Plug And Charge standard, ISO 15118. A public standard, open to any.
And supported by some charrger manufacturers already, e.g.

https://www.tritium.com.au/tritium-launches-software-update-for-rt50-chargers-to-unlock-plug-and-charge-capabilities/

https://www.tritium.com.au/introducing-the-rt175-s/#:~:text=the%20first%20charger%20on%20the%20U.S.%20market%20capable%20of%C2%A0Plug%20and%20Charge%2C

I have no idea how practical it is, or how to set it up. But it sounds encouraging.

WetEV said:
johnlocke said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35044132/plug-and-charge-ev-charging-mustang-mach-e/

CCS does do the same with the Plug And Charge standard, ISO 15118. A public standard, open to any. Not a closed standard, not subject to the whims of one person.
And where have you seen such a charger? An open standard is fine but until it is in widespread use what good is it? Since it is CCS it still does Leaf owners no good! Maybe if Dala gets his CCS conversion kit working it could be useful.

Elon's whims aside, Tesla has opened it's charging system in Europe to other brands and Tesla has CCS plugs on their European cars. Tesla is now starting to install CCS stations in US locations alongside their Supercharger stations as well.

I know everyone's situation will be different but for me the lack of Chademo in new EV Charging Standard Proposal is a total non-issue. I bought the LEAF about 6 months ago and already have 12K miles on it. Love it and will drive it to the ground. I only have 5 QC on it and only 2 of those were really required. Have done 210 mile round trips on one charge and have not taken it on any longer trips yet.

I "might" go on a longer trip once or twice a year but has not happened so far. If and when I do that I will have enough charging options, including the existing and mostly operational Chademo chargers out there. The older the car gets the less long distance I will probably do on it so this will become less and less of a need. I will keep charging it on L2 at home.

I will wait for 2-3 years for the new vehicles to mature and standards to settle. My next EV, while keeping LEAF, will probably be a slightly larger and 350+ mile fast charging / multiple charge per day vehicle and it will probably charge on CCS.

You see, it makes so much more sense to keep the standards simple and clean. Charging units supporting CCS + Chademo are more complex and must be costlier to build and maintain. If removing Chademo from the equation means we can afford x% more chargers going out the door than thats a good thing. LEAF will slowly die on the wine and thats perfectly ok.

johnlocke said:
WetEV said:

And where have you seen such a charger? An open standard is fine but until it is in widespread use what good is it? Since it is CCS it still does Leaf owners no good! Maybe if Dala gets his CCS conversion kit working it could be useful.

Elon's whims aside, Tesla has opened it's charging system in Europe to other brands and Tesla has CCS plugs on their European cars. Tesla is now starting to install CCS stations in US locations alongside their Supercharger stations as well.

Every Electrify America and EVGO station. Seen any of those? New Fords, GM, Porsche, Audi, VW and probably other makes eventually. Not older models, my Audi doesn't qualify, too old already. I've see a Mach-E and a Rivian use it.

Chargepoint doesn't own their chargers which causes problems for them, and is likely to be slower. Other networks? I don't know.

I'm not sure if a Dala CCSconversion would work with Plug And Charge. Dala's scheme was to use a CCS port out of a junked car, so likely would identify to the charger as that junked car. I doubt if an account could be set up for such a "Frankencar", apologies to Dala.

Back