Dashboard efficiency not matching LeafSpy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falcon73

I noticed something troubling today when looking at the LeafSpy Trip Meter. It was showing 2.1miles/kWh when I got home when the dashboard was showing almost 4.0.

I can understand it being a little different, but not this. Perhaps there's something I'm not understanding, but 2.1 seems way too low when I didn't break 65mph. The 4.5 dashboard reading when I drove to work this morning also seemed high (speed also capped at 65mph but there was some traffic).

On my other test, when I got 101 miles with 100% at the start, suggests something around 3.2 as an average which is still not very good.

I will be doing more testing to see who I can trust more.

Falcon73 said:
I noticed something troubling today when looking at the LeafSpy Trip Meter. It was showing 2.1miles/kWh when I got home when the dashboard was showing almost 4.0.

I can understand it being a little different, but not this. Perhaps there's something I'm not understanding, but 2.1 seems way too low when I didn't break 65mph. The 4.5 dashboard reading when I drove to work this morning also seemed high (speed also capped at 65mph but there was some traffic).

On my other test, when I got 101 miles with 100% at the start, suggests something around 3.2 as an average which is still not very good.

I will be doing more testing to see who I can trust more.

Need more details since LEAF Spy does not give you a miles/kwh figure so detail your process.

See the image I'm trying to post here.

It shows a mi/kWh number below the SoC. This area will show a bunch of other data when tapped as well.

I will do more tests and find a better way since this doesn't seem accurate.

Edit: updated image link to embed

Falcon73 said:
See the image I'm trying to post here.

wbCW5bC

It shows a mi/kWh number below the SoC. This area will show a bunch of other data when tapped as well.

I will do more tests and find a better way since this doesn't seem accurate.

Ok, well no picture to see but if you are talking LEAF Spy, that miles/kwh is "user settable" and designed to give you a range estimate based on your selected goals. What you want to become familiar with is the trip computer on the car. Reset it A LOT (I reset mine daily) to get an idea of your performance during various driving conditions.

For me I use 4.5 miles/kwh for mostly freeway 70 mph drives (which is usually the max speed limit on most of the trip but in this area there WILL BE slow downs) in Summer, 3.8 for winter.

5.0 miles/kwh for 60 mph trips (I try to do 70 anyway) in Summer. Why the difference? I live at the southern apex of Puget Sound so going east and North means congestion, west and south means smooth sailing.

IOW; YOU know best what you can do if you have simply collected some data.

The above image can be viewed by right-clicking on it and selecting "Open in new tab." It isn't the screen we need though: that would be the one with the graph-looking image and the SOH, AH, etc.

Thank you.

Let's see if this works better.

The preview thinks so, but we will see.

I reset LeafSpy and the dash at the start of this (short) trip. I don't know what LeafSpy is measuring, but it's certainly not road miles. It's also not crow-fly miles as that's 12.4 from where this was to home.

The trip in the upper left of LeafSpy shows 10.6 miles, when the car shows 16.6 miles. LeafSpy shows 2.3mi/kWh while the car shows 3.5mi/kWh. I certainly hope the car is more accurate. I don't know what LeafSpy is measuring on its Trip Meter.

LeftieBiker said:
The above image can be viewed by right-clicking on it and selecting "Open in new tab." It isn't the screen we need though: that would be the one with the graph-looking image and the SOH, AH, etc.

See the below from 6/14. Also, the mileage isn't accurate. It thinks it's in km or something and this number is divided by 1.6 of the actual (over 39k miles).

That's the most degraded 40kwh pack reading I've seen so far. It's the rough equivalent of an ICE car that's burning some oil but runs fairly well anyway. The cell differential is a bit high, but not alarmingly so.

There is a setting in Leaf Spy for the odometer: CAN Odometer in Miles should be checked. This should fix your odometer in Leaf Spy to match the car odometer and may also correct the difference you see in the mi/kWh readings. FWIW, the dash mi/kWh is a bit optimistic when compared to miles actually driven divided by charging energy from the wall. My actual wall-to-wheels average efficiency is about 3 miles per kWh.

GerryAZ said:
There is a setting in Leaf Spy for the odometer: CAN Odometer in Miles should be checked. This should fix your odometer in Leaf Spy to match the car odometer and may also correct the difference you see in the mi/kWh readings. FWIW, the dash mi/kWh is a bit optimistic when compared to miles actually driven divided by charging energy from the wall. My actual wall-to-wheels average efficiency is about 3 miles per kWh.

This fixed #1 above, thanks! I will check #2 when driving today.

LeftieBiker said:
That's the most degraded 40kwh pack reading I've seen so far. It's the rough equivalent of an ICE car that's burning some oil but runs fairly well anyway. The cell differential is a bit high, but not alarmingly so.

What number would be alarming? I've noticed that cell 1 seems to be the biggest problem in the battery pack.

The degree to which the differential indicates a problem depends on how high the State Of Charge is. The differentials tend to increase as the SOC gets lower. Just off the top of my head, if it reads 100 or more with a full charge, that would concern me. 150 when full, and I'd be looking for ways to trigger Turtle mode, to get a warranty replacement.

Sounds good. Thank you, Leftie.

I will keep an eye on it.

Also, its move to WA has been delayed as the transport cost I was quoted was $700 lower than what they told me on Friday, ouch!

Back