Road trip using Electrify America Network in etron

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WetEV

I've just finished a 4000 mile road trip in the etron using EA's network and L2 charging at/near hotels. No serious issues.

Sure, will be a few years before trips through Hinsdale, MT are easy.

WetEV said:
I've just finished a 4000 mile road trip in the etron using EA's network and L2 charging at/near hotels. No serious issues.

"serious" is in the eyes of the beholder. What issues did you encounter ?
Did you break up 400 miles of one-way travel into multiple days ? Would you have done the same in an ICE ?

--
My best guess is that if I share driving duties with my wife we can comfortably cover 600 miles each driving day in a Tesla

SageBrush said:
WetEV said:

"serious" is in the eyes of the beholder. What issues did you encounter ?
Did you break up 400 miles of one-way travel into multiple days ? Would you have done the same in an ICE ?

--
My best guess is that if I share driving duties with my wife we can comfortably cover 600 miles each driving day in a Tesla

Had to try three chargers at one site. Third one worked just fine. In a heavy rain.

Turned off the charger twice with my shoulder while getting things out of the car that the wife wanted. In a heavy rain.

When it was nice the chargers mostly just worked.

Was getting 37kW at one EA charger. Was enough, as just wanted a little and the wife takes a while on restroom breaks.

Not serious issues.

Wife can't drive, no license due to medical issues, so just me. STMBO gave an order that all days driving and charging would be less than 7 hours. As the bathroom breaks mostly overlap charging, an ICE would have been similar time as bathroom breaks would need to be included. First plan was 400 miles a day, which I think I would do if was just me. STMBO rejected this plan.

Brother in law likes to drive fast and far. They did 800 miles in one day in an ICE to meet us at a family gathering on this trip.

The etron is much nicer than any ICE I've ridden in or drove in.

^^
Thanks -- good description.

What were the distances/driving times between charging stops, and how long was each break ?
Ballpark numbers and or ranges are fine.

IIRC, my Tesla experience was 100 - 150 miles a leg, about 2 hours driving per leg, and about 15 - 20 minutes each break

WetEV said:
150 kW charging flat curve is nice.

Indeed, which about matches the average power for a Tesla charging session if pre-conditioning is not in play. I thought though that the e-tron has ~ a 33 - 50% higher per distance energy consumption compared to Model 3 or Model Y. I'd expect each charging stop to be in the neighborhood of 5 - 10 minutes longer than those Tesla models on average. Not a deal breaker to me, but a difference to note.

WetEV said:
Far too easy to pick conditions to "prove your point".

Why all the melodrama over EPA rating ?
If you are happy with your car choice then don't be so defensive.

I understand your point about choosing the SoC interval. I was thinking about low (5 - 20) to mid-range (50 - 70) since those are the typical charging sessions on the Supercharger network when taking long distance trips and 'jumping' from Supercharger to Supercharger.

I looked up this e-tron
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=42674
Combined EPA is 440 Wh/mile with a range of 216 miles. That sounds pretty bad, but charging at 150 kW deep into the SoC helps. The e-tron would be a poor choice in NM since distances between L3 charging can be in the 200 - 300 mile range.

SageBrush said:
The e-tron would be a poor choice in NM since distances between L3 charging can be in the 200 - 300 mile range.

And because it isn't a Tesla, your real reason. Go piss on other peoples cars somewhere else, this is way off topic.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
The e-tron would be a poor choice in NM since distances between L3 charging can be in the 200 - 300 mile range.

And because it isn't a Tesla, your real reason. Go piss on other peoples cars somewhere else, this is way off topic.

If you hate your car, it is not my doing :lol:

I agree with your earlier point -- if the EA network is sufficiently dense then your e-tron can get through the trip even though it is an energy hog.

---
As for Tesla, this fact sways my opinion:
The Audi-e-tron 55 quattro with a 95 kWh pack has a range of ~ 220 miles
The Tesla Model S with a 100 kWh pack and 19" wheels has a range of 405 miles

I'm a fan of Tesla EVs because they so often blow other EV manufacturers out of the water. This is distinct from my support of the Tesla mission statement.

Both of you are behaving poorly. WetEV, you should be able to take politely worded criticism of your car. Sagebrush, if he doesn't want you to critique his car, then either don't do it at all, or leave what you wrote earlier and drop it now. And for gods' sake, add each other to your "Foes" list.

Back