Replacing a front tire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marktm

Leaf Supporting Member
I ruined a front tire - had it replaced with the exact match. The mileage was around 7000. The difference in tread depth between the old front tire and new front tire was measured at 1-2 "32nds". All old tires measured the same tread depth.

Do I need to switch the new tire to the back to not affect the gear box?

Do you keep the pressures matched in the front tires for that reason? If yes, then maybe. If no, then... I'm not sure. What's the difference in diameter as a percentage?

FWIW, if your other front tire's tread depth is only 2/32" less deep than the new one, then I wouldn't worry about that.

If it was 3/32" different (or worse), then I would definitely look for a used tire with similar wear or purchase another new tire matching the new one you already purchased.

Marktm said:
I ruined a front tire - had it replaced with the exact match. The mileage was around 7000. The difference in tread depth between the old front tire and new front tire was measured at 1-2 "32nds". All old tires measured the same tread depth.

Do I need to switch the new tire to the back to not affect the gear box?

I would, just to be on the safe side. Why overwork the differential? Or alternatively you could find a performance shop that will "shave" the tire down to match its counterpart. Note - differences between front and rear can also cause the vehicle to sense "slippage" that isn't there, as I found out when replacing 2 tires near the end of lease on our 2012. Traction control would intervene on hard turns. The problem went away when I swapped front/rear. I forget where the "taller" tires ended up.

I do keep close eye on the tire pressures ~ 40 psi. The tire shop indicated also the 3/32" is their key to mis-matching from directives from Mercedes and Audi AWD vehicles. He did not recommend changing, but thought I'd check with the forum. He felt that less than 2/32" should not be a problem - but he has no Nissan directive.

% of diameter about 0.4 % if I did calcs correct - quite small!
Thanks to you all.

If you are concerned ...just keep it in the back and rotate side to side.

I don't think it's a problem...that is what the spider gears are for in the differenctial...no different than driving down a long curve road.

Had to replace two tires on my 2011 due to road hazard issue. I know the tread depth wasn't the same as it happened with over 20,000 miles on the car and never considered it a problem? Car drove fine.

I just had one tire replaced after about 12,000 miles on the set. They are Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires which are directional so they cannot be rotated side to side. Since the front tires wear faster, the tire shop and I agreed it would be best to put the new one on the front (right side since damaged tire was on the right). The car drives fine and there have been no ABS/traction/stability control issues. Since the tires on the right wear slightly more than the left, the wear will probably even out over time. I plan to rotate the tires normally every 5,000 miles.

Back