Charging questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When plugged in can you tell it I want to charge to xx% and then stop or will it just charge until it either hits 100% or you unplug? Asking thinking if the former it would be convenient if telling it to run a/c or heat prior to getting in the car and it would still be at whatever xx% you said not down a point or three plus use lower fan setting to maintain cool than cool it down.

Alas, Nissan offered an 80% charge limit through 2013, but after the EPA dinged them a few miles of range for it in 2013, they dropped it in 2014 and it never returned.

How does the electronic parking brake set and release? My Mazda CX-30 is all automatic but for it to release you have to do things in sequence and once in D it releases when the gas pedal is pressed. The problem with that is it loads up against the brake every time. So I press the button instead, a very small thing I know but annoying. It sets as soon as it shifts into park, it should release as soon as it shifts out of park. Anyway, wondering how this one works as I'm leaning heavily toward an SV 40 w/Tech pkg. Thanks.

How does the electronic parking brake set and release? My Mazda CX-30 is all automatic but for it to release you have to do things in sequence and once in D it releases when the gas pedal is pressed. The problem with that is it loads up against the brake every time. So I press the button instead, a very small thing I know but annoying. It sets as soon as it shifts into park, it should release as soon as it shifts out of park. Anyway, wondering how this one works as I'm leaning heavily toward an SV 40 w/Tech pkg. Thanks.

FWIW the base model, S, has an emergency brake that goes on when you push on its pedal and NOT an electric actuator.

dmacarthur said:

FWIW the base model, S, has an emergency brake that goes on when you push on its pedal and NOT an electric actuator.

I'm actually looking at an SV 40 Tech which is why I asked.

Looked at TireRack.com and they don't show any wheels for Leaf. Are there any aftermarket wheels that work with this car? And does anyone know what the stock 17" wheel weighs?

LDB415 said:
Looked at TireRack.com and they don't show any wheels for Leaf. Are there any aftermarket wheels that work with this car? And does anyone know what the stock 17" wheel weighs?

Juke wheels will fit the Gen I Leaf, so since they didn't change the wheels for Gen II, then aftermarket Juke wheels should work. I have 2015 17" Juke wheels with snow tires on them that fit my 2021 SV just fine. They also fit the 2018 SL that preceded it.

Thanks. And I also found Discount Tire has a large selection for Leaf. Very strange that Tire Rack has none. Anyone know the weight of the stock 17" SV wheel? I'd like to find out how much lighter one can go on wheels and see how much range savings that might produce.

There are several good threads on that topic already. If memory serves, lighter wheels don't extend range by much.

Use a Google search like this:

"alloy wheels" site:mynissanleaf.com

The built-in search is poor...

How do you set the electric parking brake? There is a little chrome D-shaped handle-type lift/push switch near the shifter. You lift it up to set the brake, and a red light at the switch comes on. You push down on it to release it. IIRC you have to be pressing the foot brake to set it, but not to release it. Shifting to D will also, IIRC, release it. Having had both types of Leaf Parking Brakes, I have a slight preference for the manual, foot pedal-operated one (probably because I used that type of brake for most of my life), but both are fine.

Ok, it sounds like it isn't automatically set then. I hope that's the case. I prefer the manual foot set brake as well but the SV Tech that I want has electronic. I think I'm going to the dealer this morning to look at the Leaf. I need to check the size and shape of the cargo area as well.

LeftieBiker said:
No automatic set for the parking brake. It isn't really needed on level ground.

Thank you! That's what I've said. It's about as flat as a board here in Houston. What do I need a parking brake for? And yet people, some, not overly many, scold me and tell me I should always be setting the brake. If I was in San Francisco, not that I'd go there, I'd set the brake. Not here. Thank you!

My housemate and I have a similar disagreement. She always sets hers, I only set mine if the parking space isn't level. The other side does have one point: if the car gets hit just right, the parking brake will save the parking pawls in the "transmission" from getting broken. OTOH, hitting a car with the brake set - especially on pavement - will likely result in more body damage than the same hit without the brake on. Of course, I've never priced new parking pawls compared to extra bodywork...

Back