Should I buy this Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Total newbie here - I'd like to get my first EV and a used Leaf seems perfect. I've been studying this site for weeks and am looking at this car. It's a 2015 SV with 11,000 miles. Here's the LeafSpy report:
AHr = 53.68
SOH = 86.44%, 385.67V
Hx = 77.17%
54 QCs & 930 L1/L2s
Max cell difference = 20mV
71.2% SOC
13.7 kWh
38.22 Ah
50.1 miles to 5%
4.0 mi/kwh
177 GIDs 63.0%
Dash shows 12 bars, but it looks like it's about to lose one bar
A 60 mile range would work for me.
Seller wants $15K

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Great site!

You are now a sitting duck, any number of responses may come in and you need to take them all with a grain of salt:

we had the exact same car with about 18K miles, 12 bar battery, which we sold 2 1/2 years ago for $9K. Liked the car very much, no idea how the current price of $15K compares but it seems high to me since new Leafs have not almost doubled in value..... What does a new 40kW leaf sell for after Federal credits (assuming one qualifies)? Probably $20K or so?

You mean 40 kWh?

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2022-nissan-leaf-press-kit Pricing tab has the MSRPs. Add $1,025 destination charge + tax and license to those.

For a 2015, the pack appears to be in decent condition. Note that 60 miles range in winter is unlikely, if you live in a colder climate. Closer to 50 miles during winter is more likely.

Thanks for saving me from making a big mistake. A new Leaf S in California is just over $18K with federal and state rebates. And it looks like from this site that the 40 kwh pack is holding up well. It's all good!

alozzy said:
For a 2015, the pack appears to be in decent condition. Note that 60 miles range in winter is unlikely, if you live in a colder climate. Closer to 50 miles during winter is more likely.

I can show you TWO 2015's that went over 100,000 miles and have better battery stats. ahr loss is 20% on the one above. One guy at 214,000 miles has 22% ahr loss. FYI; should be at 11 bars. SOH is NOT a measure of degradation.

Car is not worth $15,000.

Sure, there are always going to be better examples, particularly LEAFs in the PNW. The OP is in California though. Good luck finding a 12 bar CA LEAF...

I absolutely agree that it's not worth $15k, but that's the used car market right now. Personally, I wouldn't buy a car right now unless it was an absolute necessity. If I had to buy a car right now, I would buy an older, high mileage Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic (or an Accord) and drive that until the used car market leaves orbit and returns to Earth.

Latest posts

Back