Maximum range questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDB415

I know they say the 40 has a maximum of 149 miles. I know things like driving up Pike's Peak or other serious climb would presumably eat up a lot of that. So it's just an estimate, but my question, how is that calculated? Is that in "normal" mode with no special settings? Would using Eco mode add to that? I know using the stoutest regen setting for coasting/braking will add a little back. Just curious if there's much to be had above the 149 miles without plugging in somewhere.

I'm using PlugShare trip planner to make up imaginary trips to pick up various Leafs I find in inventory search and I set the range limit to 130 miles on the theory I'd always have just a little bit left or at least be able to coast up to the charging point rather than have to walk carrying an electricity can. :?

LDB415 said:
I know they say the 40 has a maximum of 149 miles. I know things like driving up Pike's Peak or other serious climb would presumably eat up a lot of that. So it's just an estimate, but my question, how is that calculated? Is that in "normal" mode with no special settings? Would using Eco mode add to that? I know using the stoutest regen setting for coasting/braking will add a little back. Just curious if there's much to be had above the 149 miles without plugging in somewhere.

I'm using PlugShare trip planner to make up imaginary trips to pick up various Leafs I find in inventory search and I set the range limit to 130 miles on the theory I'd always have just a little bit left or at least be able to coast up to the charging point rather than have to walk carrying an electricity can. :?

The EPA range is 149 miles, but we can only calculate with 36 kWH the EPA used, so that would mean about 4.1 miles per kWH. If you can drive better than that, you'll beat the EPA 149 miles. For example, say you are averaging 5 miles per kWH. Then you would mostly likely get (5 x 36 = ) 180 miles of range. Provided you have a brand new Leaf without a little of the time degradation, to get 130 miles on a full charge would only require about (130 / 36 = ) 3.6 miles per kWH. Which would be like an uphill drive with the AC going at speeds lower than 60 mph for example.

That's how the EPA did it. The dash on the Leaf uses your recent driving history to calculate range based on remaining charge. So if you are driving under 50 mph on a level drive, it will assume that range is going to be much higher since you are using less energy. So after a dozen miles of driving like this, a full battery might easily calculate to 180 miles if you just stopped and charged to full right there.
On the other hand, if you are driving +75 mph down the highway for a dozen miles and then stop to charge, it will calculate less than 149 miles on a full charge because you are using a lot more energy in the past.

There is some hidden reserve range below 0%, but on the 40 kWH Leaf, it's about 10 miles or more, depending on how "easy" you drive, speed and all. On the 62 kWH Leaf, you get about 20 miles of extra range if you "feather" the accelerator as they say. ;)

There are probably better tools by now, but I have found that a little trick with Google Maps works pretty well.

When planning a trip leg, between charging sessions, it's important to anticipate elevation gain/loss. To get a good sense of the elevation changes, I switch to biking mode in Google Maps, as it provides a "hill" profile.

LDB415 said:
I know they say the 40 has a maximum of 149 miles.
It's not a maximum. Tony Williams put together some range charts like at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=4295. The 1st chart is for the 73 mile EPA range rating '11 Leaf (https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=30979). He estimates if you go 35 mph steady state or achieve 6.3 miles/kWh, you'll be able to go 132 miles on a new battery w/no degradation. If you go 75 mph or achieve 3.0 miles/kWh, you'll be able to go 62 miles.

At https://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/2011/long-term-road-test/#driving-it-to-the-bitter-end and the video there, they did exactly 132.0 miles on an '11 Leaf at 35 mph. Tony in some of his range charts asserts the steady state speed for max range on a Leaf is 12 mph.

People used to track records on a charge on 24 kWh Leafs (73 to 84 mile EPA range ratings) at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=7022.

WetEV said:
I suggest ABRP.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

It's interesting. The one I've played with you have to go along and choose each stop. I like that this has them all planned and even shows about how long at each stop. What does it mean when the route changes from blue to orange? I'm surprised how little time is spent charging at each stop. I believe they are all under an hour. I thought it would take 2-3 hours per stop.

It's based on DC fast charging rates, that's why...

If I recall, you have a 2022 LEAF S, so a CHADEMO port is standard equipment and you can therefore DC fast charge up to 50 kW.

Back