2018 Nissan LEAF EVSE is not working with 208v AC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Confirmed - it does not work on 208. I does not work on my buck/boost transformer either, which is down to 225v right now as every air conditioner in the complex is on, and so are our shop power tools.

Looks like it's either a JuiceBox or Clipper Creek for me.

For those following along, the status lights are as follows:

Ready (green) = ON
Power (Orange) = Flashing
Fault (Red) = ON

According to the manual, it is an EVSE internal fault. The car does charge for about 15 seconds before going into fault mode.

V8BoatBuilder said:
Confirmed - it does not work on 208. I does not work on my buck/boost transformer either, which is down to 225v right now as every air conditioner in the complex is on, and so are our shop power tools.

Looks like it's either a JuiceBox or Clipper Creek for me.
Yes, basically any EVSE will work on 208v.....except the '18 OEM Leaf EVSE :roll:
As you sound a bit technical, I'd really suggest a Juicebox. Not that the Clipper Creek is bad, it's just the Juicebox is so much more flexible. I've ran my Juicebox down to less than 200v with no issues. It's also nice the Juicebox allows you to adjust the maximum output current, CC EVSEs are always maximum, unless your car calls for less.

I'm actually thinking of getting the OpenEVSE kit, and using it with the stock Nissan EVSE KJ1772 cord.

Or just get a JuiceBox and sell the Nissan EVSE.

V8BoatBuilder said:
I'm actually thinking of getting the OpenEVSE kit, and using it with the stock Nissan EVSE KJ1772 cord.

Or just get a JuiceBox and sell the Nissan EVSE.
Either of those solutions sounds good to me, both cheaper than either a CC or JB.

I wouldn't sacrifice the Nissan cord to do your openevse build. It's more valuable as a working EVSE, even used. If you're leasing, you may also need to turn it back in with the car.

All of the portable Nissan EVSEs since 2013 are designed to monitor its input receptacle plug for too high a temperature and, if detected, either effectively reduce the charging amperage or terminate the charging session.

What other portable EVSEs do you know DON'T attempt to do this -- and which DO?

As an important side note, a TIA (Tentative Interim Amendment) to the 2017 NEC requires this and other similarly portable EVSEs to have its input receptacle protected by a GFCI device. This means a 14-50R receptacle's circuit would need a GFCI breaker.

HI I live in santa clara also, the charger does not work a my house or at sunnyvale nissan due to 208 volts. after a lot of testing the problem is the charger not the car. it even states in the manual works on 220-240 volts. It works fine on 240 volt and tested it on numerous different evs
I have gotten to response from nissan, electrical code say all level 2 chargers should work between 208 and 240 volts. I have been very frustrated as well. Have you found any solution ? Jim

I just got 19 leaf S and having same issue with the EVSE.
Anyone found the solution to this problem?
I have read from http://evseupgrade.com/ you can program panasonic evse amperage from 6 to max.
If somehow i lower the amperage on the evse will that lower the 240V set on the evse and charge at 208v?

paradisedj said:
I have read from http://evseupgrade.com/ you can program panasonic evse amperage from 6 to max.
If somehow i lower the amperage on the evse will that lower the 240V set on the evse and charge at 208v?
Contact evseupgrade.com as they may have a solution. What you describe will not actually work. Control circuit that limits operation based on voltage needs to be replaced.

I honestly think you are better off getting an aftermarket EVSE.

smkettner said:
paradisedj said:
Contact evseupgrade.com as they may have a solution. What you describe will not actually work. Control circuit that limits operation based on voltage needs to be replaced.

I honestly think you are better off getting an aftermarket EVSE.

Called them multiple times but no one is picking up the phone.
Thank you for the advise.
It looks like i might have to turn this issue to federal agencies (BBB, usa.gov) to make them realize the problem w EVSE if replaced EVSE doen't work which I highly doubt it will.

Hi If you do decide to go after Nissan i would be glad to help out and get my charger replaced as well
Panasonic makes the charger and it should comply to national guidelines not there manual
If enough of us get together we might get some results
Jim

opticjimg said:
Hi If you do decide to go after Nissan i would be glad to help out and get my charger replaced as well
Panasonic makes the charger and it should comply to national guidelines not there manual
If enough of us get together we might get some results
Jim

The way Nissan USA & Dealer responded to inquiry for this solution was not only useless but very rude as well.
I do hope this triggers class action law suit against them.

I agree it's dumb for Nissan to not make it work with 208V. I would purchase another EVSE and sell the Nissan one. There's a Clipper Creek on the For Sale forum for $350. You could probably sell the Nissan one for $400+. There's a market for it. It's Level 1 & 2 compatible and it's 30A. Most of the Chinese ones are only 16A. I'm sure someone on this forum would want it.

paradisedj said:
Called them multiple times but no one is picking up the phone.

I have an EVSEupgrade. They have been out of business for a few years.
The proliferation of Chinese EVSEs made the EVSEupgrade not a viable financial solution.

If I am not mistaken, there is an ongoing federal tax credit of 30% for the EVSE and installation cost. I don't know if unlisted devices are eligible.

Back