Update on CEC DCFC Stations in Tehachapi, Mojave, and Inyokern, Calfornia

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan,

There is more funding but it's moving through the counties in a competitive grant program. Kern has been quiet but they may have money that they are then handing off to others. I need to talk to Linda Urata. There's a mystery station of four kiosks that's been installed for months now at the Marriott downtown. No logos, no PlugShare mention yet.

That second kiosk at Brady's is needed. You can't depend on just one--like the EV Connect at the airport.

I'll give Eric credit he bought some stuff at Brady's. I did too. I even left a tip but I hardly got a thank you. Pretty primitive even by desert standards. ;)

What's the status with the credit union? I'd really like a station in Ridgecrest. That Rivian station would be a big help--if they ever get it installed.

We've been staying at the Clarion but they haven't fixed their outdoor 120s since I complained to them 5 years ago. If they even had a NEMA 14-50 it would be a huge improvement.

Caltrans has really provided a public service with their stations. I prefer theirs at Coso Junction over EAs. Works, gives me a full 42 kW and I don't have to fuss. Saw that Eric ran into some connectivity problems with EA there too.

Paul

paulgipe said:
What's the status with the credit union? I'd really like a station in Ridgecrest. That Rivian station would be a big help--if they ever get it installed.

Paul

I emailed the mayor shortly before the holidays and he had positive things to say but nothing with time tables or details. The public fast charger at his credit union has been delayed because of ADA issues with parking, if I understood him correctly. It was part of a grant and the ADA requirements have hamstrung it.

Unfortunately no good news on the Rivian site in Inyokern. Still just pipes sticking up. I'd still love to see a four station install in Inyokern proper where there is food, bathrooms and such. I'm still holding out hope Tesla opens up their old V2 site there and adds / converts it to CCS.

Different topic, but are you aware of the CPUC meeting coming up regarding NEM 3.0?

Some of the rumors I've heard are downright.... insane? Charging per installed kW on our homes? Pennies on the dollar for the net metering? SCE already charges me twice the rate from 4 to 9pm that I put in at during the day. The flat fee, That's like a grocery store charging me a monthly fee because I have my own veggie garden.

I found a link to the meeting and put in a public comment. Not sure what else we can do? Will they listen if we get thousands of comments?

Dan,

Yes, I am aware of the NEM 3 proposal and the machinations. You did the right thing and don't forget to write or call the governor. In the end this is a political decision and the utilities are in the drivers seat. At this stage only the governor can make the difference.

Don't get me started on what I think about this--and the reaction from the solar industry. I have a very bad case of schadenfruede on this. I warned them 10-15 years ago that this day would come but they were always "the smartest guys (and a few gals) in the room". They handed me my head on a plate.

So yeah, I know about it. For the rest of the story it's best over a few beers.

Paul

paulgipe said:
So yeah, I know about it.

Paul

So much to unpack here. You're right of course, a discussion for another place & time, but I just can't believe what they're trying to do. It might almost be cheaper not to have solar. And leave it to government to create a rule forcing new houses to have solar -> then adding more fees to their bill, rather than savings.

I see myself going to some kind of LFP battery storage and just saying goodbye to the grid. Which just seems silly given that last year I had over $2000 worth of credit and at the end of the net metering period, SCE gave me just over a $200 bill credit. And that's not enough for SCE?

If we weren't battery constrained in the world right now my suggestion would be go to small node grids, all publicly run, and say goodbye to PGE and SCE.

paulgipe said:
Dan,
Yep, and I bet SCE sent you a big thank you for helping them out too. . .
pg

I think that got lost in the mail.

Someone sent me a link where you can actively see the power grid, both demand, and where its all coming from. As far as I'm aware, we have never had more solar and wind than demand. The idea we have too much simply isn't true (from what I could see). And this is now, before mass amounts of storage come online to start soaking it up.

It might have been someone here that provided that link.

The charge point app shows two DC fast chargers active at Brady's. Not sure if the app is accurate. DC1 and now DC2.
And it says a Leaf last charged on DC2. So it might be online?

Edit:

I went ahead and added it to plugshare - since Charge point's map says its up. Interestingly, it might be more than a 50 kW charger. A rivian appears to have charged there and gotten 63 kW. I do remember charge point saying they were not going to install 50 kW chargers anymore, unless site limited. So what is it? I'd love to think its 100 kW but maybe not.

Might have to take a drive over there after work this week to check it out.

I tested it real quick at lunch, and it indeed is there and works! It appears to be a 62.5 kW unit. I maxed out around 47.5 in my leaf. I didn't stay long. Added a photo to plugshare.

Great news! I still wonder who funded it? Seems like it was very fast to be completed. I know a EA site sitting incomplete for a year now.

853909.jpg

paulgipe said:
Thanks Dan for driving out and confirming it's there. I saw that Rivian check in. So it's real, that is Rivian is real.
Paul

I emailed Linda, no response yet. I dug through the CA CEC site and couldn't find any new addendums or documents relating to this project since Ver 5, and that was awhile back.

I did find a state park study and it looked good - as in, they were very happy with the usage of Lvl 2 chargers in a select few state parks. I'd love to see that expanded! Including forest service trail heads, though obviously that isn't state controlled. Logistics on that would be difficult though. Actually that's an interesting dilemma - do you add a bunch of tech and 1st world devices (solar, battery, chargers) at forest service parking lots, or do you leave them pristine and more like wilderness? I can understand both sides of that.

Rivian and the NPS are adding two Level 2 stations in Toulumne Meadows according to Electrek. I assume one would be at the cafe and the other at the Lodge. Of course two could end up at the lodge. Here's hoping that the lodge opens this year. ;)

Paul

Paul

I never did get a reply from Linda. Bummer.

I had to take my leaf down for service last Friday, and super thankful for the Charge Point chargers along the route. It was cold and windy and I needed a lot of charge in my Leaf to get back from Palmdale.

I used the Charge point in Palmdale near the Best Buy/Panda Express, and had to stop again and use the charge point chargers at Denny's in Mojave. My Leaf started to thermally throttle so it took a bit longer, but otherwise, those are great. Hard to believe it but even though I started the day with an ice cold battery, w/o any thermal management, by the time I was ending the day the battery in my Leaf was too hot and throttled. But that's a different issue for a different discussion. (I've been trying to sell my wife on trading in for the Ioniq 5, but she doesn't like it.... )

There are also EA chargers in Mojave, but I went with the charge point so I could get something to eat, and I have been having great luck with Charge point. With their app I haven't had a single issue; I plug in, open the App and hit start. Recently Charge point has been the most reliable, for me, and is my go-to.

Now the one issue I did have is in Palmdale, there are only two DC fast chargers at that location. Need more, as I had to wait a few minutes. Eventually need a LOT more.

I was hoping Linda would tell me great news that Charge point chargers were on their way in more areas, like Kernville. No response. I know its outside Kern but I'd love to see stations in Olancha, Lone Pine, Independence, Big Pine and Mammoth. The EAs work OK if you have a longer range vehicle on a road trip, but what if you want to explore the Eastern Sierra? A few 62.5 or 100 kW chargers in each city along the East side would go a long way to help. I love driving the canyons.

Rumor has it that FINALLY the fast charger here in Ridgecrest is under construction. It will be at Desert Valley Credit Union. Not exactly the best location in town for a charger, but the credit union is doing it in conjunction with a solar project. It was supposed to be installed last year but red tape & ADA issues caused delays.

If memory serves me right, it will be a charge point charger capable of about 62 kW.

Went back through my email and it was a Chargepoint CPE250. Double headed, so I'm not sure if he meant a CCS and Chademo or if he meant two charging kiosks. I think those are indeed about 62 kW. I'll have to drive by their parking lot and take a look, plus drop a coming soon on Plugshare.

Thanks Dan. Long needed and finally coming. Yeah team!

BTW. Libby Vincent at Maturango Museum is pushing to install a Level 2 in their parking lot. She may send you a message. Of course another CP or similar DCFC would be better at this stage.

Paul

paulgipe said:
Dan,
What's wrong with that location of the Desert Valleys FCU? It's right on Bus 395 and just up from the Clarion where we stay.
Paul

Sorry, it isn't horrible, it just isn't the most convenient. I would think the museums (per your other post) would be better for visitors, or at a shopping center with food, bathrooms, etc, or even at one of the hotels. I'm happy to have it, glad they are doing it. It has Taco bell across the street, but it isn't the location in town that has a lot of food or things to do. Our town is stretched along one long axis (China Lake Blvd) so I think the ideal locations for Fast Chargers would be Walmart, the Park/Museums, and the Stater Bros shopping center.

But, it will be good for future employees of the credit union, especially if they are doing some level 2s. One of the big keys (I think, YMMV) to reach the 95% is to provide charging at work. Even those who live in apartments usually drive somewhere to work? So that could be some keen forward thinking on the credit union's part.

I also heard the hospital might have a level 2 but I've never seen it.

paulgipe said:
Thanks Dan. Long needed and finally coming. Yeah team!

BTW. Libby Vincent at Maturango Museum is pushing to install a Level 2 in their parking lot. She may send you a message. Of course another CP or similar DCFC would be better at this stage.

Paul

You probably know more than I, but I'm happy to help if I can, so no problem if she wants to contact me.
I think you have my email.

I'm still driving my leaf, was looking at the Ionic 5 or ID4, but now am waiting until October - turns out the Kern County Air district rebate ran out of funds until October. That's 4k, so I plan to wait. I checked back in early march and they had run out. And you can't buy until approved for the rebate.

I went by desert valley this AM, snapped two quick photos. Besides a huge solar install, right now it just looks like one charger being installed. I didn't see any signs of Lvl 2s but I'll keep watching. One thing it does have is a huge shade cover. In the photos you can see a couple of the back metal poles and they are BEEFY. Someone realized a breeze here is gale winds everywhere else.

I added it to plugshare. Besides Taco Bell, I forgot, you also have a Starbucks across the street. Not sure either of those has a bathroom 24/7 though? Still, many folks love their coffee.

Back