Leaf gen1 2012 not charges more than 83-86%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuma89

Hello averyone.
I have 2012 nissan leaf from japan. It has 6 bars about 48% soh. It must charge 11.2 kw/h energy if 100%. But it charges only 9.2-9.5 kw/h. 3 of blinking blue lights stops blinking and stops charging process. But leaf spy says that it is charged only 83-86%. I charge it on 220-240v.
Leaf spy says that all dtc is OK.
What may be the reason? Sometimes HV battery charges 83% sometimes 84-85-86%. Once it charged aslo 90-91%. What may be the reason?

LeafSpy includes the unusable capacity -- the 'anti-bricking' reserve -- in the denominator

Energy is measured in kWh. "kw/h" doesn't make sense.

I don't know what percentages you're looking at. How many gids do you reach when you charge to 12 fuel bars (the ones https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/Ke7gb/s2/leaf-state-of-charge.jpg calls state of charge)? You can then compare notes with someone w/similar SOH.

Leaf Spy shows the true battery SOC. Because there is a top buffer, the car will never charge the battery to true 100% (4.2v/cell). As long as the car itself shows that it's charging to full (all the big bars on the right side) then you're good.

sometimes it charges 9.2-9.3 kw
tonight it charged 10.5 kw 95.2% and finished charging. after charging finished i removed charger and laef spy says 10.5 kw, but after 10-15 seconds it was only 10.3 kw. car was turned off and locked. after 10-15 minute i also read in leaf spy and it was 10.1 kw, after 10 hour it was also 10.1 kw.
may be it is problem from charger?

Are you talking about kWh?

If so, I wouldn't bother with that. See https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=523862#p523862.

There will be some variation in # of gids on a full charge. My former 11 capacity bar '13 Leaf IIRC charged to about 230ish gids on a full charge.

If you reach 12 fuel bars (see reply #3), you're full or very close to it.

shuma89 said:
sometimes it charges 9.2-9.3 kw
tonight it charged 10.5 kw 95.2% and finished charging. after charging finished i removed charger and laef spy says 10.5 kw, but after 10-15 seconds it was only 10.3 kw. car was turned off and locked. after 10-15 minute i also read in leaf spy and it was 10.1 kw, after 10 hour it was also 10.1 kw.
may be it is problem from charger?

That's also normal. Once you charge past 95%, the SOC and kWh readings jump around a bit between right before you unplug, right after you unplug, and the next time you restart.

Multiple times I've sat in the car while charging with the ignition on to run heat/AC and so I can see the battery level, I'll get to say 98% and get out to unplug, when I get back in the car it'll have already dropped to 96 or 97, then I'll go to start the car so I can drive and after the dashboard does its startup animation it shows 100%.

Back