Battery Test

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNeil

I saw that Nissan says you should get a "battery test" at 6 months. So I had them do the test when they did the state inspection.

The test cost $155 and all I got was a bar chart with 12 bars on it. How can that be when LeafSpy gives you a much more detailed report for free? I thought with an electric car, I wouldn't pay nearly as much for maintenance.

I'm thinking that if I use LeafSpy, I don't need to get the battery test. Do you guys pay for the regular battery test? Do you think it's necessary if you have LeafSpy?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but you got robbed.
The "battery test" you describe should be performed "free" (under warranty)...and isn't really of much use anyway.

For my LEAF, it was performed free at the end of the 1st year and the end of the 2nd year; for my 3 year lease, I would have been responsible for paying for it on the 3rd year.

If you asked for it to be performed at 6 months, then they might have charged you for the extra unnecessary service.

Either way, the Nissan test provides nearly no information to you, the owner of the car. It was necessary to claim a battery issue under warrantry.

If you asked for it to be performed at 6 months, then they might have charged you for the extra unnecessary service

I checked the 2021 owner's manual again. It says at 7,500 miles, or 6 months, whichever comes first, do a battery test.

I looked at the warranty manual and it say that I am required to do a battery test at 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72 and 84 months. It also says that there is no charge for the 12 and 24 month tests.

So I will get the 12 and 24 month tests and only do the later ones if LeafSpy says there is a problem.

Interesting, the manuals for my 2011, 2015, and 2019 all indicate annual battery tests with no mileage limits. The 6-month, 7,500-mile interval listings do not mention the word "battery" except for the annual tests.

I took my car to the dealer for a software recall. I asked them to also do the battery test and I said that I understand the test is free. Like last year, the battery test took a long time. Then they told me they are ready to do the software update and would I like to spend $90 for a cabin air filter (LOL). They said they will give me a printout of the battery test details. Good, I didn't get any documentation last year.

The software update also took a long time. Maybe they needed to for verification or calibration or something.

I should have looked at all the documentation before I left, but I didn't. Their "test details" listed CCA specs, which I think is cold cranking amps, and a voltage of 12.64 volts. I looked at the invoice and it said "check battery due to age mileage completed service/ 12 volt battery tests good." I called them up and asked if they checked the 400 volt battery. He said they did, but their printer wasn't working.

RNeil said:
I saw that Nissan says you should get a "battery test" at 6 months. So I had them do the test when they did the state inspection.

The test cost $155 and all I got was a bar chart with 12 bars on it. How can that be when LeafSpy gives you a much more detailed report for free? I thought with an electric car, I wouldn't pay nearly as much for maintenance.

I'm thinking that if I use LeafSpy, I don't need to get the battery test. Do you guys pay for the regular battery test? Do you think it's necessary if you have LeafSpy?

The first and second year battery test are free. I had the "stealership" try to charge me +$200 and taxes for the same thing when I brought it in last year (for warranty battery test only, nothing else). I told them the test is free and I'm not paying. I told them go get the manager right now. The manager told me my Leaf wasn't under warranty for "free" battery test. I laughed and told him to either strike the charges off and let me go or I'll call Nissan Corp and report what they were trying to do. Amazing, minutes later, my Leaf was "car washed" (didn't ask for that either) and ready to go with $0 charges. Hmm, if they really had a case for this, would they just let someone leave owing them hundreds of dollars in work? Yeah, if it wasn't for this kind of behavior by dealerships, Nissan would be selling more EVs. :roll:

I had a Nissan dealership try to steal my snow tires, after charging me for a cabin air filter change that they didn't do - the new filter I brought was still sitting on the passenger seat. That particular dealership changed hands quite a few times...

Back