LED Shift Knob "How-to"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
Image links in first post repaired.

Oh, and as a BTW - there has been no reocurrence of the wiring issues I had 2.75 years ago since I changed the routing of the wires for the LEDs per post #23.

Another 1.25 years (almost) with no recurrence of the shorting LED issue, so definitely use the modified routing to prevent see-sawing.

Hi, I would love to see the photos from this Mod...but all I can see is little "?" is there a reason why...??

Leafypeej said:
Hi, I would love to see the photos from this Mod...but all I can see is little "?" is there a reason why...??

Could be lots of reasons, the host changed their sharing settings, Mike Walsh does not have an account with Earthlink any longer or Mike just deleted the photos, But they are not at these URLs.

mike_wlash.jpg

Mike, do you need server space?, I have a new server with lots of space, just let me know and I'll make you and FTP account.

UBUYGAS said:
Mike, do you need server space?, I have a new server with lots of space, just let me know and I'll make you and FTP account.
I'm kind of hoping he takes you up on your offer; I've contemplated this mod many times, and now that I have a "spare" shifter (albeit out of a newer Leaf), I'm thinking about it again.

Hey guys. Due to a bout of nostalgia, I'm just returning to the forum after a few years and seeing this.

Yes, my Earthlink account is long gone. I still have the pictures somewhere. Let me see if I can find them and get them up someplace I can link to again.

LeftieBiker said:
Thanks. And then someone should submit the thread to the Wayback Machine.

I followed the instructions of the original post - goes to show how a good guide can work even without pictures(!) - and uploaded a video showing the process. Maybe it can help someone thinking about this mod https://youtu.be/IMSIT4HxtoM

One big thing to note as this was done on a gen 2 Leaf is that there is no white wire to tap into - after a search I found there is a green wire going into the ECO mode button illumination which is switched 12V so only on when the car is on (and it is dark so the dash lights are on.)

I went back in to modify it a bit after uploading the video and put small pieces of black tape into the small holes I cut for the LEDs in the blue plastic, because as soon as it got dark I noticed the LEDs were WAY too bright. Now it's perfectly illuminated, glowing on all sides without lighting up too much or being distracting.
Luckily, the top black plastic of the shift knob is easy to disassemble with a thin tool even when it's installed in the car, so no need to bring it back inside again.

I wonder if an easier install might be achieved with strip LEDs. It might require an extra resistor to control the brightness. Since you can't buy a strip with 3-4 LEDs there would be some wasted LEDs.

stripled.png

Back