2021+ dual VSP Speakers, sock mod

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayaktivist

The 2022 has 2 speakers for VSP. Both are just behind the license plate, one to the left and the other to the right. They look identical. This seems to be a change with model 2021. Nissan redesigned the sound and called it "Canto" to be used in all their EVs. Here's a recording of the new sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF1EkH2cyFE

Odd design choice in choosing 2 speakers - I have a Bose Mini that sounds amazing from just one speaker. I'm not a fan of the redesign. It's much louder and more intrusive than the old version.

Here's a reddit thread with pictures of the speakers, and someone taping socks over them to reduce volume.
https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/q0kdd3/2022_vsp_speakers_put_a_sock_in_it/

Does anyone know if both speakers play identical sound, or if certain sounds are played on one versus the other? I'm looking for a more elegant solution than tape. Adhesive will come apart over time, and leave sticky residue. Fabric sock will absorb water and grow mold. Considering zip tieing neoprene fabric on. A software mod would be best, but LeafSpy can't change the settings on VSP of 2021+.

Thanks for the video link, nice! It is actually in 2020 also, I have the same setup, same sound that I posted about earlier this year. :D
Yes, both speakers play the same sound. I like the new, louder sound, if you compared to the old VPS setup on the Gen 1, the old sound was more difficult to hear and pick out from the background sound of a city-scape for example.

Have you considered just unplugging one of them, cut the sound in half? Not sure if that would make a vehicle code or not? :?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJwrVL204BQ
Kayaktivist said:
The 2022 has 2 speakers for VSP. Both are just behind the license plate, one to the left and the other to the right. They look identical. This seems to be a change with model 2021. Nissan redesigned the sound and called it "Canto" to be used in all their EVs. Here's a recording of the new sound:

Odd design choice in choosing 2 speakers - I have a Bose Mini that sounds amazing from just one speaker. I'm not a fan of the redesign. It's much louder and more intrusive than the old version.

Here's a reddit thread with pictures of the speakers, and someone taping socks over them to reduce volume.
https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/q0kdd3/2022_vsp_speakers_put_a_sock_in_it/

Does anyone know if both speakers play identical sound, or if certain sounds are played on one versus the other? I'm looking for a more elegant solution than tape. Adhesive will come apart over time, and leave sticky residue. Fabric sock will absorb water and grow mold. Considering zip tieing neoprene fabric on. A software mod would be best, but LeafSpy can't change the settings on VSP of 2021+.

Unplugged one speaker and then the other. The driver side speaker is louder than the passenger side speaker. Unplugging either will trigger VSP error light on dash. Going to experiment some more to find a good volume level.

How did you unplug the speaker connection? I can't figure out the release mechanism.

Thanks!

Anybody have an idea where or how to get to the speakers?
Can I get access from the hood? Or do I need to get underneath?

My Chevy Volt has an amazing pedestrian alarm. Pull a 10a fuse from the trunk to disable any of them.
Fuse for forward. Fuse for reverse. And a fuse for charge status beeps. Super super convenient!

Anybody know the part number for the new VSP module? I think it sounds so much better than the old one, would like to replace it on my 2018...thanks!

How did you get access to the speakers? I have a 2022 and want to muffle them. I can see them plainly, but can't get to them. I removed the screws from the underneath plastic panel, only to find another even more substantial plastic panel under it. I can't see any way to get to them from the top, so I'm stuck! Thank you.

How did you get access to the speakers?

Through the gap in the front. Anyone with a skinny arm can reach. I'm not one of them so I used kitchen tongs.

One would think that the backup speaker would be in the back.

Has anyone ever tried swapping a VSP module from an older model Leaf - one that can be software disabled by LeafSpy? (or already has been)

I have a VSP from ZE0, but my ZE1 is the 2018 model that can still be software disabled. I'd like to try my software-disabled ZE0 VSP in a >=2020 ZE1 to see if it works.

Maybe @Kayaktivist and @CeladonCityNPC could just swap modules with each other and both be happy! :)

Toby, thanks for the input. I'm wanting to wrap some foam onto the speaker with electrical tape. My arms are skinny, but there's no way to get both in there. I don't see any way to get tongs to wrap electrical tape super tightly around them. I'm still brainstorming, but I'm about to give up.

Toby, thanks for the input. I'm wanting to wrap some foam onto the speaker with electrical tape. My arms are skinny, but there's no way to get both in there. I don't see any way to get tongs to wrap electrical tape super tightly around them. I'm still brainstorming, but I'm about to give up.
I used some rubber tape that is meant for outside use. It's about 1/8" thick and pretty sturdy. look for it in auto-parts stores. I cut off suitable size and placed it over the speaker. It served to dampen the noise in the cabin.

One does not want to eliminate the noise completely because there is a safety need. In theory a blind person with good ears could identify your car in that sea of diesels and souped up exhaust systems found in any parking lot.

My arms are skinny, but there's no way to get both in there. I don't see any way to get tongs to wrap electrical tape super tightly around them. I'm still brainstorming, but I'm about to give up.

I found it relatively straightforward and easy to unclip the front bumper plastics as a whole unit and remove them. Just follow the service manual guide. Then after that there is loads of space to just reach in and do your thing (in my case I was replacing the factory warning horn with air horns). Everything just clips back again afterwards. Had to laugh when I saw all that polystyrene in there :)

ZE1.jpg

WOW!!! That is hard core! It looks worse than it is, I'm sure. I don't have the service manual and I don't know if I'd be able to keep track of all the clips and multiple layers of stuff it clips to. If you know where I could get the pdf for this section, please let me know ...thank you.

I could feel polystyrene from reaching up under without see it ...I knew it!

Great Job!!

The take-apart should be available at nissan-techinfo.com. IIRC the access fee was US$25/day. I completed the job in around 2 hours (first time ever taking one off - would be quicker next time!)

I found it relatively straightforward and easy to unclip the front bumper plastics as a whole unit and remove them. Just follow the service manual guide. Then after that there is loads of space to just reach in and do your thing (in my case I was replacing the factory warning horn with air horns). Everything just clips back again afterwards. Had to laugh when I saw all that polystyrene in there :)

View attachment 3469
Good tip! We're gonna deal with the intermittent horn issue when the Leaf return tomorrow for the mounting and balancing of the new tires from 4Wheelonline.

Back