looking at a SV LEAF 2013

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babbles

looking at a SV LEAF 2013 with 35k miles used in California, purchasing from caravana which you do get a 7 day trial, wondering how the car would still have 11 bars?? once i get it, i will you spy leaf to check the other data, what things should i check for battery health wise once i get it?? thanks!

babbles said:
looking at a SV LEAF 2013 with 35k miles used in California, purchasing from caravana which you do get a 7 day trial, wondering how the car would still have 11 bars?? once i get it, i will you spy leaf to check the other data, what things should i check for battery health wise once i get it?? thanks!

If you have easy access to an EVSE (like at home or public one for apartment) use LeafSpy to run the Leaf all the way down to around 1 kWh of charge (which is basically close to turtle mode), then fully charge it all the way back up. When it's at 100%, check LeafSpy again and see how much capacity it has at full charge. If it really is an 11 bar Leaf, it should have at least 18 kWh or more when fully charged. I've found this to be an easy way to roughly guess battery capacity when you are not certain that the dealership hasn't done a reset to make the SOH in LeafSpy or the capacity bars in the dash seem higher than it really should.

was on my way home from work yesterday and i was at 18 miles, needed to go 6 miles flat, ended up with 19 mile by the time i got home, just wondering, are the distance miles actual 1 mile increments??

If you mean the range estimate, then no, not nearly. The range estimator - nicknamed the Guess O Meter - just takes the last few minutes of driving power consumption, and calculates how far the car will go, based on that figure. It is usually wrong, often maddeningly so. A few people have driving styles that just happen to produce decent range estimates, but in most cases it will estimate far too many miles of range, with that number dropping quickly as you drive. The reason it usually estimates too many miles when you turn the car on is that most people are driving slowly as they arrive home and park the car, and it doesn't have the 'brains' to take that into account. Later Leafs have somewhat range estimators, and even the 2013+ cars have a better one that is hidden in the Nav system.

Back