Choice of Cars In Central Wisconsin

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delsen66

Ok Folks, I’m conducting a poll here. I live in central Wisconsin. Our winters typically start in mid-October and don’t end until mid-April…6 months. The coldest being January & February.

Given that knowledge, here are my two vehicle choices.

2014 Nissan Leaf with (11 bars) with 56k miles at $10,990

2011 Volkswagen Jetta with 63k miles at $12,990

Which would you choose given my location and after six years, which would hold more value?

Thanks.

We need more info, starting with how much range you need in the dead of Winter. Oh, and since this post is off-topic, I'll likely make a topic for it.

While it is possible to get that range with an 11 bar Leaf in those conditions, it isn't especially easy or pleasant. Unless those are low speed (sub 50MPH) miles, the VW is the safer bet.

I’ve decided on the Jetta. An EV in the frozen tundra is just not practical six months out of the year. You can delete this thread (and the other one) if you’d like. Thanks.

delsen66 said:
I live in central Wisconsin. Our winters typically start in mid-October and don’t end until mid-April…6 months. The coldest being January & February.

2014 Nissan Leaf with (11 bars) with 56k miles at $10,990

BAD idea

delsen66 said:
I’ve decided on the Jetta. An EV in the frozen tundra is just not practical six months out of the year. You can delete this thread (and the other one) if you’d like. Thanks.

The correct choice today.

However, if you have enough range to deal with the reduction of range in cold weather, an EV can preheat, and going out to a preheated car in the garage is a joy to be experienced.

Likewise every time you fill up the Jetta in the winter with the wind blowing snow down your neck, remember that you could be plugging in your EV in your garage with the door down. No wind. No gas station stops for normal commuting.

When you pay $4, $5, $6, $7 or more per gallon for gasoline, remember that about 8 kWh is a gallon of gasoline. Average electric rate is 0.1375 so that is about equal to $1.10 gasoline. Electric rates tend to be a lot more stable than gasoline prices as well as generally lower.

EVs are getting larger batteries as batteries get more energy dense and cheaper. Next time you need a car, think about the EV again.

Back