Wanted 62KWH battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have harvested the 62 kWh battery along with some other parts. In my state I can not sell this car to an individual as a repairable car. I will be selling it as parts. It is a 2019 Leaf S Plus. It had 5,000 miles on it when it was totaled out. I have posted some photos on Imgur.

https://imgur.com/a/VPAVIEW That is the Link to the Photos

Congratulations completing your battery replacement.
You have valuable skills.

Hopefully you can sell/repurpose the donor 2019 leaf parts to recoup your investment.

I have been looking for a replacement battery for my 2012 Nissan leaf (SF bay area).
So far I was not able to find any battery at a reasonable price.

It was $8800 (40 KWh with 90% left).

A 40 KWh with 100 percent left was $10,950. Both prices include installation and were back in October 2021.

For current prices, get in touch with them (Joe). He will respond pretty quickly. They had all sizes available, with various percentages left.

They also had a 62 KWh but I didn't have a price for that.

AlanD said:

A 40 KWh with 100 percent left was $10,950. Both prices include installation and were back in October 2021.

For current prices, get in touch with them (Joe). He will respond pretty quickly. They had all sizes available, with various percentages left.

I would say those are great prices (especially since they include installation).
In my experience, you can't even buy a salvaged Leaf (with a 40 kWh pack) for those prices; of course, you do get the rest of the car.

Hello! I am searching for 62 kWh battery. Could you pls let me know if you know anyone who is selling them?
Thank you.

Hello I will be looking for a 62KWH battery to upgrade my 2012 Leaf. Any help in locating one would be appreciated. Thanks Kevin McMahan
Have you considered buying a wrecked car from an auto auction? I bought a 2016 SL for CHEAP recently that had hail damage. Currently driving around in a brand new Rogue for free waiting on Nissan to replace the 8 bar battery. I also have a 2015 that I'm looking for a 2nd gen that's totaled to upgrade its battery.

Those are very good prices; I obtained my 40 kWh pack from a salvaged Leaf at auction and my net cost was more than that (even after selling my old pack). This was a couple years ago, but packs seem to be harder to find now.

Seems like these prices are in the ball park. I was just offered by an independent shop to replace my 24 kWh pack in my 2013 with a 2020 40kWh for $9000, then a rebate on my old battery up to $2500. I was on their waiting list for about 3 months before they were able to buy a 2019 wrecked Leaf at an auction with a good battery. I was very tempted but my 2013 only has 30,000 on it and I am still getting 50 miles at 80%. When I spoke to them about delaying the replacement to a future date they did not mind at all as they had a waiting list. I am located in the DC area and their shop is in Lancaster, PA. I asked about the 62 kWh pack and they estimated the replacement cost at around $14-15k, but they recommended against it because of the weight increase and the difficulty in securing a 62 kWh battery.

Nice to hear reports of prices coming down for used 40 kWh pack installs. However, given the spate of stories of bad cells in packs, shoppers should include a requirement of a LeafSpy voltage histogram in their due diligence.

Seems like these prices are in the ball park. I was just offered by an independent shop to replace my 24 kWh pack in my 2013 with a 2020 40kWh for $9000, then a rebate on my old battery up to $2500

I have no idea what "up to $2500" means in practice, but does the $9000 include installation ?

Nice to hear reports of prices coming down for used 40 kWh pack installs. However, given the spate of stories of bad cells in packs, shoppers should include a requirement of a LeafSpy voltage histogram in their due diligence.
Not sure how widespread prices coming down is.

To avoid the randomness of Used batteries, in the US/Canada you can have a shop install the aftermarket LRN 40 kWh battery for Nissan Leaf.
- all new cells
- 150 mile range
- 3 year/36,000 mile part warranty

But the trade-off for New cells is that it is expensive.

~$14,000 and it can only be installed at select Leaf Repair Network shops. Not available to be purchased for self install.

You can also get New 62 kWh experimental packs for nearly the same price if you are willing to be one of the first test subjects. Feel free to call if you like to be on the cutting edge. (608) 728-4082.

I've done other swaps at my shop in Wisconsin, and I urge everyone who is buying Used packs to definitely put your diagnostic tools on the pack before purchasing.

At some of the salvage auctions now unscrupulous people are removing the original larger packs and then sending them back to auction with smaller/garbage packs.

Then you as a buyer have no recourse since it is sold AS IS. Especially notice the insurance auctions in the Pacific Northwest. There is often a small disclaimer in the photos saying it may not have the original pack. Again, check the pics, because it won't be in the description.

Last edited:
With the pretense of EV's being good for the planet there should be way more effort to keep older EV's on road with battery pack replacements, easier to acquire and install at fair price. The Portland OR folks are great I hear, but I live 2300 miles away. That's a realistic 4 day drive (with LEAF towed, imagine drivinig a 60mi range LEAF, 8 days?). Then followed with the drive *tow* home. I would upgrade to 40Kw pack in a heart beat at the end of my 24KW LEAF's useful life (TBD). $9K in 2024 dollars? May be not? Otherwise it's landfill. The LEAF body, running gear, interior, paint seems pretty solid at 9 years. My plan is DIY but not at this time with 80 mile range (65 realistically). I'd love 120 mile realistic range.

DEALER support. Not going there ever. Good to hear of new cell option. However $14K? Nope. If I had to get another EV, sell LEAF and get something with longer range and actuve battery cooling. There is a World of options on used market with longer range. (BTW upgrade the battery cooling the #1 issue with LEAF's).

Good to hear the options. Personally replacement battery packs, down to the individual modules should be made and packs rebuilt. Relying on used salvaged packs is OK to a point, but not ideal. The need for more availability, lower cost pack demand will only go up. Scrapping good cars due to un-economical pack repacement defeats the "green" thing.

I look at auctions and find used salvaged LEAF's are hard to find. I gave up. In part my area of US is not a Meca of EV's. Its a gamble what battery pack condition is. They just don't show up at all on my radar. For a DIY'er like myself it sucks. I see me buying a pack and installing it myself some day. Why wait until my range gets to 50 miles or less. If something comes along I'd do pack upgrade, but only if price is right. Love to have +120 mile range. Otherwise bye bye LEAF and EV's in general. If I have to have an EV, and I don't, I'd get one with more range and active battery cooling. Bit that sucks as my LEAF is fine and scrapping goid cars being an EV or ICE is wasteful.

I don't know where you are, but where I am I have not seen any support from the dealers or Nissan for the Leaf, not one ad ever on Tv or in local print.
Years ago there was an EV day in Des Moines, IA, I went and saw what was the market at the time. Mostly private people with their cars.
To expect a sudden turn around from Nissan or local dealers now that you own one, isn't realistic.
I purchased a used one knowing all the good and a lot of the bad of what could happen. $13,000 for a new 40Kw battery is twice what I paid for the car. I can say therefore that it "isn't worth it". or I can say it will make a car that I am otherwise very happy with, last for another who knows how many years.
I can crow about all the money the car saves me while it meets my needs, but should I then be surprised if at one point I have to put significant in to it at some point?
Where that line is, will be different for everybody.
I agree that discarding a vehicle with usable vehicle is the height of waste.
My other cars have needed significant outlays of cash for repairs a steady amount. A big outlay for a replacement battery is a difficult thing, but if it gives the otherwise good car a 2nd life.
As far as DIY traction battery cell work, I was a mechanic, worked on everything, did everything, but I have a lot of respect for the power in a traction battery pack, and would think long and hard about tearing into one without someone looking over my shoulder. Arc flash and arc blast is a real possibility if you make a mistake, PPE is a must, and knowing the tricky bits. Dropping a pack out of a car requires a lift and careful handling to prevent damaging the pack. It starts to make the cost look not as bad. It not the same as playing around with a 12 volt battery. There is more than enough energy to enter you body and "kill you dead". Below about 50 volts, the skins resistance is enough to protect you, by the time you get to 400, you are deadly territory.

With the pretense of EV's being good for the planet there should be way more effort to keep older EV's on road with battery pack replacements, easier to acquire and install at fair price.

A rant based on a pretense is shaky ground. If I remember your past posts correctly, you could not care less about environmentalism. For you the LEAF is a curiosity/hobby that better save your money if it wants a place alongside your diesel vehicles.

I *am* an environmentalist, and I've given this some thought because the second life pack replacement idea for EVs is pretty much a non-starter for all EVs, not just the LEAF**. If we are really asking how 'green' a LEAF is that is taken off the road because the OEM battery pack is kaput, I think the answer comes down to recycling. So long as the pack and metal of the car are recycled, I do not in general view the LEAF (or other EVs) as more 'landfill' than an ICE. The 24 kWh pack LEAF stands out because its lifetime is probably shorter than an average ICE, but newer EVs with larger packs and better thermal control last as long as an ICE.

** It is obviously possible, and there are dozens of examples. But for a variety of reasons I doubt pack replacement will ever reach scale in our lifetimes. It mostly comes down to logistics and custom installation costs, with tech advances ensuring that car manufacturers are not going to be interested in the subject.

@EVPowers has been on the *EV scene a long time, and I don't doubt his integrity or dedication to the EV transition as sustainable transport. I'd like to hear his opinions about this topic.

This is a pretty good review on the topic:

Last edited:
We should do some sort of Livestream or town hall discussion about this topic sometime. I truly enjoy deep diving on this with folks. So many great perspectives and insights. I always learn something new.

It's definitely been interesting to see how this space has been progressing over the years.

As I mentioned earlier, we are at a point where aftermarket packs are available. And as with many emerging markets, it's a risk and there is a huge range in quality. Do your due diligence!

I am one of the few shops in the US where a New 40 kWh pack can be ordered, delivered, and installed in a relatively short time. ~1-2 weeks.

But, I also recognize that it is financially unpalatable to most folks. For most, selling the car and moving on to something else may be the better option.

I've laid out some info about the LRN 40 kWh in FAQ form here
https://leafrepairnetwork.com/lrn-40-kwh-battery/
I'm always up for talking about this any time. 608-729-4082.

Thanks EVPowers ... I am one of a lucky one: my 2015 with 150k miles on odometer is still 62-66m range (SF Bay Area) on 24kW battery : spending +10k for another battery is sound interesting and not so practical .

the family is keep the wheel for local driving and we probably will experiment this until the battery flat (so to speak) .

-CC-

It is practical, although may not be the cheapest option. If you like the car, and hate "throwing out" something with useful life, than it is a practical solution. If you are looking to spend the least and don't care about throwing stuff away, then moving on to another car may be cheaper.

We should do some sort of Livestream or town hall discussion about this topic sometime. I truly enjoy deep diving on this with folks. So many great perspectives and insights. I always learn something new.
Eric, for what it is worth, this is my prospective on it.
I bought my 1st Leaf this fall, used with 9 bars and upper 60's to low 70's on the GOM.
If you add the cost of the car to a new 40 K battery pack, I am still under 20K.
I could have, I suppose, taken that 20K and bought a newer low mile Leaf.
Since it was my 1st, and even though I researched it till hell wont have it, I will not plunk down that kind of cash without any seat time.
So I bought a very well cared for 2015 that looks new inside and out. It will do what I bought it for, but if it would do more, it would be used even more. Right now it is used for better than 95% of trips.
In a few years, if it will no longer go to town and back, or I just can't wait to be able to do longer trips, I would consider plunking down more cash to upgrade the battery. I have a car that I have time in, know its condition and a new battery would likely outlast us. In the mean time I am getting the savings to help save up for a new battery and I will know the cars strengths and weaknesses before I plunk down more cash. If I spent $20k all at once, I'd have no recourse if the car or battery turned out to be a dud. Also just a short test drive isn't enough to find out if you are comfortable long term in a car. I'll get that long term view before I spend serious cash, not after.
Like all cars, there are some things that break more often than others, but the Leaf's drivetrain has a good reputation, the battery is one of its weaker points. The charger diode sometimes can go bad, and depending on if shorted or open can be an easy or hard fix.
I suspect many Leafs are going to find their way to the recycling yards because the owners think "it is not worth putting that kind of money in". But that means used chargers and drivelines will be easier to come by if needed. So that leave the body/chassie, and I don't think it will be any better or worse than most other makes on the market.
My 2015 Leaf replace a 2000 Camry for a daily driver, so I got a car 15 year newer than I was driving.
There is always the chance of an inverter failure or other major component, but that is true for any vehicle.
Ok, there you go, that is one mans prospective, lets see if that gets the ball rolling.

Back