How to turn off back up (reverse) beeping sound?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SalisburySam said:
...Lastly, and I don't know the answer to this, do people really pay attention to backup beepers anymore? Even today in any busy area there are so many such beepers and other noise pollution, my skepticism leads me to believe most sounds are just automatically tuned out, or masked by ear pods tuned to some favorite news or music channel....

I'd say most people would be *aware* of the backup beeper even if they weren't "paying attention". Seems to me that's the goal actually.

On the other hand I've noticed a certain behavior many, many times over the years -- people who hear the beep and then change course to walk deliberately into the backup path of the vehicle. I guess it's human nature, something along the lines of "you're not the boss of me", or they feel I'm trying to gain some form of entitlement with my presumptuous little beeper. But at least they are aware, even if it goads them into being jerks. :lol:

be236 said:
I have Nissan LEAF 2017 S.

I know the Reverse beeping is to alert people behind the car as you back up.

Still, is there a way to turn off this sound feature or lower its volume?

When I first took delivery of the car a week ago, I felt the same as you. But, thinking on the fact that the car gives off no sound at all, animals and most important, blind people need to be made aware. I can only imagine a law suit imposed if you accidently hit someone while backing up after turning off that safety feature. My advice is to leave it as is. But, it would be nice to be able to turn it off with a switch if you are coming home at 2:00 in the morning fearing of disturbing the neighbors. I'm sure either the sounds emitted while driving slow up your driveway, or backing up your driveway is much more audible in the wee quite hours of the morn.

On my 2020 I disabled the forward noise because it sounds like metal on metal annoying brake noise. Even with it disabled it make some noise for a very little bit but nothing like before. My 2019 forward noise was not like that. PLUS now with the 2020 if something is sensed in front it will slam the brakes on. We had a black wild Boar cross in front one night on a dark road and our Leaf locked up the brakes. I didn’t see it until it passed in front. Without the safety feature we would have hit it.

On my 2020 if you are backing up and the rear sensors sense something the car interior speakers will immediately WAKE YOU UP with a horrible noise and RED alert. My 2019 didn’t do this.

Flyct said:
On my 2020 I disabled the forward noise because it sounds like metal on metal annoying brake noise. Even with it disabled it make some noise for a very little bit but nothing like before. My 2019 forward noise was not like that. PLUS now with the 2020 if something is sensed in front it will slam the brakes on. We had a black wild Boar cross in front one night on a dark road and our Leaf locked up the brakes. I didn’t see it until it passed in front. Without the safety feature we would have hit it.

On my 2020 if you are backing up and the rear sensors sense something the car interior speakers will immediately WAKE YOU UP with a horrible noise and RED alert. My 2019 didn’t do this.

I have a new 2022 Leaf SV. Still trying to learn all of it's features. Hopefully I have that braking feature on mine. I do have that backing up feature. I like that, especially when you are backing out of a parking space at a store. Yes, it does indeed WAKE YOU UP. Better than having someone clip my rear wing.

The 2022 version of Leaf sold in Europe already has a dedicated button for temporarily switching off/on all the artificial sounds - including the reverse beeping.
Another nice surprise was to see that the steering wheel can be adjusted not only 'in and out' but also 'up and down'.

Back