Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
I am kind of surprised that the remaining Leaf inventory hasn't been snatched up this week. $4 - $10 gas prices are going to be here for a while.

But where are they? I know 2 people in the market who ended up getting used at less than stellar prices. One paid about $1000 less than he could have gotten new after the discounts for a 2020 with same basic options. It only had 18K miles so not overly used...

I bought one because I got impatient waiting for an ID.4 and I wanted to move to an electric vehicle sooner rather than later. Gas prices also factored into this decision.

Chicago inventories actually building a little. Back up to 16 from 10 a few days ago.

Anyone on the board have both a 2019 and a 2022 Leaf Plus? Do you feel the improved safety features work well? Beyond the USB C, any other feature differences worthwhile?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Chicago inventories actually building a little. Back up to 16 from 10 a few days ago.

Anyone on the board have both a 2019 and a 2022 Leaf Plus? Do you feel the improved safety features work well? Beyond the USB C, any other feature differences worthwhile?
I really can't tell any difference. I think the 22 has an extra airbag, rear door alert, rear parking sensors, 3rd rear headrest but it loses HD radio and the glove box is a little smaller. If you're thinking of upgrading one of your Leafs, I would wait for a $40k Ioniq 5 or EV6 to come out first.

The ev6s that have appeared here have been going for over 60K after markup.

Honestly, the only long term concern I have for Leaf is the eventual decline of Chademo. Support is still going up, but it is starting to slow. The lack of thermal mgmt, really hasn't been much of a limiter, even on long trips (>500 miles a day)

DougWantsALeaf said:
The ev6s that have appeared here have been going for over 60K after markup.

Honestly, the only long term concern I have for Leaf is the eventual decline of Chademo. Support is still going up, but it is starting to slow. The lack of thermal mgmt, really hasn't been much of a limiter, even on long trips (>500 miles a day)

I am sure like any thing else, Chademo will phase out, but im also sure that companies out there will make Chademo adapters to what ever the 'new standard' will be, or what ever, yes I get the concern my self, but I look at it like this, by the time that all starts effecting me I will most likely be at the point for looking into my next upgrade, and depending on what is hitting the market I will be either going for another Leaf or something similar, I have been enjoying mine and the new found relief it has now offered me, more so now that fuel costs are going up, but just only needing to worry about recharging at night and minimal costs to service has helped me a lot lately.

Jim74656 said:
I look at it like this, by the time that all starts effecting me I will most likely be at the point for looking into my next upgrade, and depending on what is hitting the market I will be either going for another Leaf or something similar

Completely agreed. Back in the day and living in another country where Betamax had become the norm we along with many people had BetaMax players. Video rental places were set to rent out Beta. Then came VHS and many people had a similar concern reading up about it. We ended up replacing our BetaMax player with a CD video system (also skipping the larger LaserDisc format...). The Beta vs VHS question was out there all along but didn't affect anyone I know or their movie enjoyment. Decision over a video player is a much simpler one considering the smaller cost but still I think outcome will be similar.

Jim74656 said:
I am sure like any thing else, Chademo will phase out, but im also sure that companies out there will make Chademo adapters to what ever the 'new standard' will be, or what ever[...]

I'm not sure about a phase out since EVgo has a partnership with Nissan[1] to install more DCFC stations. I find there are less CHAdeMO than CCS DCFC's but in my area CHAdeMO is still around 100-150 miles apart. It all depends on where you are and where you want to go. Doesn't it help that Tesla can charge at a CHAdeMO DCFC too (with an adapter IIRC)?

I am also hoping for a commercial offering for CCS-to-CHAdeMO. Hopefully something like a lunchbox with CCS on the end with a short CHAdeMO connection coming out to the car.

I've been following Dala's development and I do hope he comes up with something to make CCS to CHAdeMO happen. Risking using something like this on a new Leaf is another discussion. :)

Bill

[1] - https://www.evgo.com/press-release/...am-achieves-6000-driver-enrollment-milestone/

BillAinCT said:
Jim74656 said:
I am sure like any thing else, Chademo will phase out, but im also sure that companies out there will make Chademo adapters to what ever the 'new standard' will be, or what ever[...]

I'm not sure about a phase out since EVgo has a partnership with Nissan[1] to install more DCFC stations. I find there are less CHAdeMO than CCS DCFC's but in my area CHAdeMO is still around 100-150 miles apart. It all depends on where you are and where you want to go. Doesn't it help that Tesla can charge at a CHAdeMO DCFC too (with an adapter IIRC)?

I am also hoping for a commercial offering for CCS-to-CHAdeMO. Hopefully something like a lunchbox with CCS on the end with a short CHAdeMO connection coming out to the car.

I've been following Dala's development and I do hope he comes up with something to make CCS to CHAdeMO happen. Risking using something like this on a new Leaf is another discussion. :)

Bill

[1] - https://www.evgo.com/press-release/...am-achieves-6000-driver-enrollment-milestone/

true, like I said before it may be phased out, but I would say not for a long time as it is still relatively new, but hey corporate and logic are usually 2 words that don't ever get used together.

also Hello from another CT leaf owner by the way!! not too far from West Hartford my self!

BillAinCT said:
Doesn't it help that Tesla can charge at a CHAdeMO DCFC too (with an adapter IIRC)?

It does help if they choose to use it as it is more use of the CHAdeMO plug meaning it may be maintained longer.

That said I doubt too many Tesla's bother there are a few places I know of (Dinosaur Colorado for example) that have a CHAdeMO but not a supercharger but there is still a supercharger near enough to not make it worthwhile in all but the most edge cases at the moment.

I am a co-owner of a CHAdeMO adapter for Tesla. In the 6 months or so that I have had it, no-one in our 3 person group has used it. The day a Tesla made CCS to Tesla adapter is available, it will go from unused insurance to useless for owners of newer Tesla cars, still of some value to older Tesla cars that cannot or do not want to upgrade their in-car electronics to support CCS.

BillAinCT said:
Doesn't it help that Tesla can charge at a CHAdeMO DCFC too (with an adapter IIRC)?

Sure BUT... I have seen a handful of Teslas charging at stations using the adapter over SEVERAL years and still see one occasionally but I have seen more than a handful using EVgo 3 headed beast so I asked one guy and he said

Price was about the same but it didn't matter if the SC wasn't located where he wanted to be. He was there meeting friends for dinner so didn't care about speed and said the 15 mile roundtrip detour wasn't worth it in any event.

So yeah; if its offered "cheap" then people will use it when it suits them but you will see this around town more frequently than "flyover routes"

So sure it helps... some.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I have most often seen them used at DC stations which are free or very cheap. There are thrifty Tesla owners out there.

Could be although I haven't seen them at the EVCS but I did see a few at EA during their random freebie weekends.

Saw one for sale in the dealer showroom at Kalamazoo mich if some one is looking for one. White a plus model but I can't remember the package it was

https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/nissan-leaf-and-armada-repeat-as-kbb-com-5-year-cost-to-own-award-winners/?fbclid=IwAR18gDmdIWb9_hK-p_UiYPhD1XFwLi_0TmYnCGPmIMiNgChvWDgms6AtxuM

The 2022 Nissan LEAF and Nissan Armada are on winning streaks when it comes to KBB.com’s annual 5-Year Cost to Own Awards – five years in a row for the LEAF electric vehicle and two years in a row for the flagship Armada full-size SUV.

Back