Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dobalina said:
Can anyone post what the cheapest available ELM 327 scanner is that you’d consider safe to use? Preferably if it can work with iOS, but I have a Samsung tablet I can use.

I’m really only interested in changing some settings and not the data tracking really. Maybe once in a while checking the battery capacity/charge level. But I would likely only use it a few times so want to do this as cheap as possible.

I have a 2022 SV plus if that matters.

changing some settings? Can you elaborate?

LowMan said:
Since I am a software developer and I have testing background I would be interested in helping with development and/or testing.
Any idea how to request joining test / beta program (apart from writing to the author)?

The developer of LSP seems to have gone quiet. Not logged in here for some time and app not updated in a long time. I suppose it will keep running until something changes on Nissan side to break it completely. Hope the developer is ok and comes back at some point. Wishing them all the best.

OldManCan said:
LowMan said:
Since I am a software developer and I have testing background I would be interested in helping with development and/or testing.
Any idea how to request joining test / beta program (apart from writing to the author)?

The developer of LSP seems to have gone quiet. Not logged in here for some time and app not updated in a long time. I suppose it will keep running until something changes on Nissan side to break it completely. Hope the developer is ok and comes back at some point. Wishing them all the best.

Not that quiet. Still posting updates. I am on the Beta program so getting more updates than the norm but just got one 1-2 months ago? Could be due to Android update?

DaveinOlyWA said:

Not that quiet. Still posting updates. I am on the Beta program so getting more updates than the norm but just got one 1-2 months ago? Could be due to Android update?
[/quote]

That is great to hear! There's hope for us on IOS too then. :D
Thanks for sharing this update.

OldManCan said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

That is great to hear! There's hope for us on IOS too then. :D
Thanks for sharing this update.
[/quote]

Well, will say beta updates come around every few months but main updates might come along once a year. Seems to me, I remember someone saying IOS updates haven't happened for quite a while though?

I just checked my phone and the last update was Jan 11th.

IOS update last released on AppStore is about 3 years old if memory serves me right. Maybe I should buy a used old Android phone just to dedicate to LSP. Not totally out of question.

On my IOS version its all working well except tire pressure readings (which I don't mind) and dropbox saving feature which would be nice to get fixed. All else is fine quite frankly.

OldManCan said:
IOS update last released on AppStore is about 3 years old if memory serves me right. Maybe I should buy a used old Android phone just to dedicate to LSP. Not totally out of question.

On my IOS version its all working well except tire pressure readings (which I don't mind) and dropbox saving feature which would be nice to get fixed. All else is fine quite frankly.

My LEAF Spy phone is also dedicated. It was my old main phone, twice removed. I will eventually move it to my most recently replaced phone soon as soon as I complete some data backups, etc. I found it to be much easier when doing various blog experiments to have two phones.

I have a NEXAS NexLink Bluetooth 5.0 OBDII Scanner connected to a 2014 Nissan Leaf that works with Car Scanner on an iPhone 13. However, LeafSpy Pro fails to find this Bluetooth device. The manufacturer (Nexas) report that they have tested their device with LeafSpy, but perhaps an earlier version that allowed the user to select which Bluetooth device to connect to? Any tips on how to get this to work?

LeftieBiker said:
Jim74656 said:
Is there a list of OBD adapters that has been compiled for seeing what is working? I have been looking but seem to find various threads that seem to get conflicting information at times

The one in my signature works.

Thanks I will look at ordering one, do we know if anyone made a list of working OBD adapters? if not perhaps I could put one together? figure it would help new owners in terms of being able to find the information they seek? Thoughts on me doing this?

That would be great but things change and products are updated or dropped occasionally. Somewhere there is a thread about which chipsets internal to the OBDII adapter work with LeafSpy as there were some that didn't work well.

Apparently there is one chip that does most of the communication and then a bunch of support components in the unit.

What might be helpful would be a topic called something like "Currently Compatible OBDII Dongles". It could then be updated, with all other talk about them in the other topics.

The one recommended by LeafSpyPro developer is still working real well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJRYMFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LeftieBiker said:
What might be helpful would be a topic called something like "Currently Compatible OBDII Dongles". It could then be updated, with all other talk about them in the other topics.

Ill make this topic shortly, I just hope people would be willing to post there adapters name/model/type so I can compile the list, I have the one recommended by LeafSpy as well, but I know someone who isn't as familiar with this stuff like some of us might be looking at it like where do I go, so I figure if I can compile a list it might be useful to someone. As for things changing, that is tech in general, but if I can at least make a list that is helpful even if in a small miniscule way then the list has been worth it.

EDIT: Added the list, so if anyone has any other adapters they have used in the past feel free to post them up so I can add them into the list, thanks! Hope this helps our community!

Jim74656 said:
Is there a list of OBD adapters that has been compiled for seeing what is working? I have been looking but seem to find various threads that seem to get conflicting information at times

hmm...look again? There is an active discussion with the info you seek.

OldManCan said:

One would think that after 1-2 years of users purchasing this out of date program that updating the iOS LS to the Android code base to resolve these issues would be possible and the time would be paid for. This would help to generate more sales. I hesitated for months paying for a 3 year-old program that is missing features, but I really was annoyed with carrying an Android tablet to the Leaf to read stats.

Turbo3, please update the iOS version. At least every year or two. Thanks!

Here is the best list/explanation of ELM327 compliant OBD-II adapters I've ever seen:

http://www.carscanner.info/choosing-obdii-adapter/

And here's the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGB4873/

Enjoy!

Back