2022 Plus won't charge at 100kW DC station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the ChargePoint data sheet, they can only do 140A on CHAdeMO, which maybe if the car will allow that current at 400V would be around 55kW. CCS on those goes to 174A or 200A, so a bit more for low voltage cars.

I know it’s a pain, but if you could also try on Signet and charge normally that could also confirm a BTC specific issue.

As far as I know, EA now limits all CHAdeMO to 50kW, despite using 200A cables regardless of charger manufacturer. I heard before this wasn’t implemented/enforced on some stations but I think that’s changed.

JeremyW said:
According to the ChargePoint data sheet, they can only do 140A on CHAdeMO, which maybe if the car will allow that current at 400V would be around 55kW. CCS on those goes to 174A or 200A, so a bit more for low voltage cars.

I know it’s a pain, but if you could also try on Signet and charge normally that could also confirm a BTC specific issue.

As far as I know, EA now limits all CHAdeMO to 50kW, despite using 200A cables regardless of charger manufacturer. I heard before this wasn’t implemented/enforced on some stations but I think that’s changed.

140 amps would be fine but don't see that on Chargepoint. I did see over 130 amps on Blink but in my mind; 125 amps is simply a 50 kw "rating"

I might have a chance to check out a few more soon. After all, it is a new year so anything is possible

A bit OT on the ChargePoint side but really quick. 140A is a weird value for a limit. No cable I know does that as it's rating. 125A and 200A are pretty much the main levels for CHAdeMO as far as cables go. From eyeballing it, ChargePoint is using a 125A Sumitomo cable, with a black housing instead of the typical blue. The 200A Sumitomo cable is much heavier, better built, and costs big $$$.

As long as we're off topic, like everyone we've been waiting for more charging stations that aren't EA (I don't know about you, but they are the most cantankerous stations to use and our local Chademo is broken). In 2019, this press release came out in our County - needless to stay it was PR hyperbole...

“The California Energy Commission (CEC) and Peninsula Clean Energy, the local community choice aggregator (CCA), plan to collaborate on the installation of thousands of EV charging stations over the next four years,” a representative of Peninsula Clean Energy wrote in an email to CleanTechnica. “This investment is part of a regional collaboration of local CCAs and public utilities proposed by the CEC.”

A press release from the organizations added, “Using $12 million from PCE and an additional $12 million proposed by the California Energy Commission (CEC), thousands of charging stations will be installed in San Mateo County over the next four years.”

I think someone just didn't proofread the press release or something - there are about 1,000 working days in 4 years so you'd be installing a couple every day to reach "thousands" - we're 2 years into this program and frankly other than some new EA stations and the EVGo station that won't work with our 22 Leaf, not many new stations have been installed (unless you count the zillion private charging stations on the Meta campus).

An update: we took the 2022 Leaf Plus to a location which had EVGo Signet 350kW and Delta 100kW stations
https://www.plugshare.com/location/323674

The Leaf worked with both stations. The Signet only delivered about 59-60kW while the Delta delivered over 70kW.

We haven't retested the Leaf Plus against the EVGo BTC 200kW station since we made the service report to EVGo - when we do that, I'll submit a new report. So it appears that this problem is only with the BTC 200kW stations.

hmbay said:
An update: we took the 2022 Leaf Plus to a location which had EVGo Signet 350kW and Delta 100kW stations
https://www.plugshare.com/location/323674

The Leaf worked with both stations. The Signet only delivered about 59-60kW while the Delta delivered over 70kW.

We haven't retested the Leaf Plus against the EVGo BTC 200kW station since we made the service report to EVGo - when we do that, I'll submit a new report. So it appears that this problem is only with the BTC 200kW stations.

Starting SOC may have been a factor in the charging speeds as the ramp down happens much earlier than 50 KW stations. A more indicative measure is the current

Basically same SOC - we charged for a minute or two on the Signet unit and the kW numbers were disappointing. We knew that we got better numbers from previous experience with the Deltas so we switched to the ugly squat Delta - and we were right - we got about 15% more power which when you're charging a 60kWh pack translates into real time saved. The Deltas look ugly but they've been the best unit in terms of power delivery for the Leaf Plus. The downside is that the Deltas are dual simultaneous units so someone else could connect to CCS on the same unit (after you've left to go shopping) and cut your power delivery since it is 100 kW total, not 100 per connection. If you've had that experience with those shared Chargepoint Level 2 units, you know what I mean - you thought you were getting 6kW and some guy pulls up and bang you're at 3.

I’d be just as inclined to suspect the EVGo charger as I would the onboard charger on the Leaf.

This is anecdotal, but something weird is going on with EVGo, at least on the northeast. Since they got bought by LS Power last year, their reliability has tanked to EA-level lows. I’ve been “road tripping” (300 mile per day drives max) in Leafs since 2018, all over the northeast, from southern Virginia to northern New England. From summer 2018 to fall 2021 I never had a single problem with an EVGo charger - the reliability was so consistent that I would often plan trips where the only DCFC within 50 miles was an EVGo station with just one plug. No connection issues, I’d always get a steady 40 KW or so average over the session, and I can only think of maybe 2 times where a session ended prematurely and I had to restart it. All of that changed beginning last fall. Now, more often than not, what I find are broken chargers, chargers which only put out 22 KW max even with a warm battery, chargers which supposedly work but fault every 30 seconds, entire stations powered off for “maintenance” for months at a time. In fact, right now, there are more broken than working EVGo stations in the greater NYC area, many of them again powered down for multiple months with nothing but vague apologies from customer service. It’s become so bad that I’m no longer confident I can ask my family to take our Leaf on trips to DC or Boston and expect to make it without a major charging delay — the only other DCFC infrastructure on those trips reasonably close to the highway is either EA or Maryland state charging stations which are all equally unreliable.

All this is to say that I would check another DCFC station before assuming the problem is with your car. But good luck, I hope it gets resolved, that’s certainly nerve wracking.

Sorry, I for some reason didn’t see page 2 and 3 of the posts above before I commented. Glad you figured it out.

But OP, speaking of broken promises regarding new DCFC station, both EVGo and Nissan put out all this PR in 2019 — repeated by websites like Electrek and Clean Technica — that both companies were investing in a serious 100+ KW Chademo network around the US. Around that time there was also much coverage of the Leaf Plus’ 102 kW peak charging rate (I believe the photo was from a lab in Europe). The marketing implication being that if you bought a Leaf Plus in 2019 you could reasonably expect in a few years time to take road trips at least in some parts of the US and count on stopping at 100+ Kw EVGo stations. That fundamentally hasn’t happened - on the east coast, aside from pockets of 100-200 kw EVGo stations clustered in cities much too far from each other to make it in a Leaf (DC, Atlanta, etc), the overwhelming majority of EVGo stations are still the same old 50 kw (and now increasingly unreliable) ones.

A little birdie told me that the Laurelwood San Mateo EVGo stations should be fixed with newer leafs.

Hmbay- you should try charging here again, should work.

Back