Government subsidies/perks/mandates for EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GCC:
SCE quadruples rebate offer for pre-owned EVs to $4,000

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/12/20211203-sce.html

Southern California Edison (SCE) is offering a $4,000 rebate to income-qualified customers who buy or lease pre-owned electric vehicles.

SCE has been offering a $1,000 rebate through its Pre-Owned EV Rebate program to residential customers who purchase or lease a used EV. Now the electric company has quadrupled this rebate amount for those who either live in a state-designated, income-qualified household or who are enrolled in certain state or federal income-assistance programs.

SCE has been offering rebates to its customers for new and used EVs since 2017. Earlier this year, the utility extended its program for used EVs to lend a hand to more cost-conscious customers seeking to go electric. Federal and state government programs also offer rebates and other incentives to lower the cost of buying new electric cars.

The Pre-Owned EV Rebate program is available to first, second and third owners or lessors of pre-owned EVs. By overcoming one of the key barriers to EV ownership—affordability—the program aims to stimulate EV adoption.

Up to three EVs at each SCE customer address can receive rebates. Those applying for the higher rebate amount will be asked to provide information proving that they qualify.

The Pre-Owned Rebate is funded by the California Air Resources Board’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard Program.

I really don't understand the logic for subsidizing purchase of used BEVs. So long as the subsidy for new BEVs remains in place, that effectively depresses the price of used BEVs at the same time.

Don't confuse politics with rational reasoning.

On the other hand, when I bought my Leaf a new one (with rebates) was less than the price for a used one. Maybe this is an attempt to address that disparity.

oxothuk said:
I really don't understand the logic for subsidizing purchase of used BEVs. So long as the subsidy for new BEVs remains in place, that effectively depresses the price of used BEVs at the same time.

Not everyone can afford a new car, and that applies even more to BEVs. To get wide adoption of EVs, you need them to be experienced by all segments of the automotive market, not just the more affluent.

goldbrick said:
Don't confuse politics with rational reasoning.

On the other hand, when I bought my Leaf a new one (with rebates) was less than the price for a used one. Maybe this is an attempt to address that disparity.
I think that’s because not everyone has enough tax liability to fully use the credits.

LeftieBiker said:
danrjones said:
It sounds like the Build Back Better bill is now dead. No new Fed tax credits.

It's really no more Dead than it was last week. They will be trying again in 2022.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/19/1065636709/joe-manchin-says-he-cannot-support-bidens-build-back-better-plan

They can try but I don't think they'll get Machin on board with his latest remarks.

Based on his comments that Bill is likely dead. So you will need a new bill he supports and finalize and pass it before the mid term elections. Whether fair or not, I see the democrats loosing the house at that time.

That sounds like a lot of time but it really isn't.

Ironically it is GM and Tesla buyers this hurts the most.

Maybe Tesla needs to open a factory is West Virginia....

LeftieBiker said:
This isn't the end, any more than any of his other remarks were the end. He's looking for some Awful "compromise" like coal subsidies.

When people allude to terrible grid consequences for having electric cars they should be automatically corrected as we are already “electrifying” housing which uses 10x-100x more electricity per house than an EV and literally no one cares.
It’s disengenuous to worry about EVs when we could care less about the consequences of millions of new energy hog McMansions being built mostly in areas with ideotic or non-existent building code.

Mentioning EVs in the conversation is just a red herring

Anyone who uses Texas should get the full riot act describing all the Terrible policy that lead to the massive failures like burying water mains 12” under the soil in north Texas amongst other ideotic policies that have nothing to do with alternative energy.

danrjones said:
Ironically it is GM and Tesla buyers this hurts the most.

Maybe Tesla needs to open a factory is West Virginia....

I don't know that it's really hurting the buyers so much as the companies. Buyers are just missing out on an after the fact rebate - so it's not really something that cures a car being out of someone's price range off the bat. Someone, somewhere not on this forum pointed out that the unintended side effect of leaving the credit as is would greatly subsidize Chinese manufacturers like Kandi that would be late to the market that can make the most marketing use of the credit amount. Granted, since Kandi can't figure out US air bag standards as of current - it seems a bit iffy.

rmay635703 said:
LeftieBiker said:
This isn't the end, any more than any of his other remarks were the end. He's looking for some Awful "compromise" like coal subsidies.

When people allude to terrible grid consequences for having electric cars they should be automatically corrected as we are already “electrifying” housing which uses 10x-100x more electricity per house than an EV and literally no one cares.
It’s disengenuous to worry about EVs when we could care less about the consequences of millions of new energy hog McMansions being built mostly in areas with ideotic or non-existent building code.

Mentioning EVs in the conversation is just a red herring

Anyone who uses Texas should get the full riot act describing all the Terrible policy that lead to the massive failures like burying water mains 12” under the soil in north Texas amongst other ideotic policies that have nothing to do with alternative energy.

I usually like to bring up the point that it's a concern as overblown as "what if everyone cooks dinner in the oven and dries clothes at the same time!? There won't be enough demand for electric!" Electric companies will be more than happy to add capacity to sell more electric. The only real infrastructure concern is with older buildings/condominiums. Some of those might require substantially more capital than can be raised for the required building upgrades if it's feasible. There's some company in California whose name escapes me already has a solution for that - they do some kind of demand load sharing based on the existing service panel. So a service panel that would only be able to support 1 EV at L2 capacity can support however many more by splitting the load as more people plug in.

In a way i think it's a pretty clever way of rethinking some of the conventional home charging ideas. Essentially a who cares if it's 5 hours or 12 as long as you have the charge you need by the time you walk out the door.

When I lived in my old house that's the ex wife's now - then Aerovironment said it would cost a pretty penny to dig up and upgrade the lines to the garage so i just bought a TurboCord and had another company replace the fuse box with a breaker system and install a 240 outlet. Now i just do L1 from the outlet in front of my spot at the condo which works fine.

Breaking: Toyota Is Running Out Of Federal Tax Credits
The company sold more than 190,000 plugs-in and soon will trigger the phase out of the incentive.
https://insideevs.com/news/558975/toyota-federal-tax-credits-190000/

LeftieBiker said:
They actively stalled instead of getting a BEV into the market. Now buyers of the Toyota/Subaru BEV will get little or no tax credit.

The Subaru model should still be good to go, since only the Crosstrek PHEV sales are counting towards Subaru's credits. Toyota definitely shot themselves in the foot for that launch though.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/irc-30d-new-qualified-plug-in-electric-drive-motor-vehicle-credit

GCC:
California governor proposes additional $6.1B in budget package for decarbonizing transportation in state; total $10B over 6 years
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/01/20220111-cabudget.html

In California, the 2021 Budget Act committed $3.9 billion towards zero-emission vehicle (ZEV) acceleration through 2023-24. This included investments ranging from cleaning up drayage trucks, transit, and school buses to accelerating equitable electrification of passenger vehicles, e-bikes and rail—coupled with infrastructure and incentives for in-state manufacturing.

In his new budget proposal for 2022-23, California Governor Gavin Newsom is adding an additional $6.1 billion ($3.5 billion General Fund, $1.5 billion Proposition 98, $676 million Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund, and $383 million Federal Funds) one-time over five years, with a focus on communities that are most impacted, bringing the total investment to $10 billion over six years to decarbonize the transportation sector.

The Budget proposes targeted investments in disadvantaged and low-income communities, including tribal communities, to increase access to the benefits of clean transportation and more than doubles the money targeted for heavy-duty market acceleration.

Significant investments include:

Low-Income Zero-Emission Vehicles and Infrastructure: $256 million for low-income consumer purchases, and $900 million to expand affordable and convenient ZEV infrastructure access in low-income neighborhoods. These investments will focus on planning and deploying a range of charging options to support communities, including grid-friendly high-power fast chargers and at-home charging.

Heavy-Duty Zero-Emission Vehicles and Supporting Infrastructure: $935 million to add 1,000 zero-emission short-haul (drayage) trucks and 1,700 zero-emission transit buses; $1.5 billion Proposition 98 to support school transportation programs, including advancing electric school buses in a coordinated effort between educational, air pollution, and energy agencies; $1.1 billion for zero-emission trucks, buses, and off-road equipment and fueling infrastructure; and $400 million to enable port electrification.

Zero-Emission Mobility: $419 million to support sustainable community-based transportation equity projects that increase access to zero-emission mobility in low-income communities. This includes supporting clean mobility options, sustainable transportation and equity projects, and plans that have already been developed by communities that address mobility. These locally driven projects continue to be a direct response to critical mobility needs identified by community-based organizations and residents working on the front lines to lift up priority populations.

Emerging Opportunities: $200 million to invest in demonstration and pilot projects in high carbon-emitting sectors, such as maritime, aviation, rail, and other off-road applications, as well as support for vehicle grid integration at scale. These investments will help maintain California’s role as the hub of ZEV market creation and innovation, creating economic development opportunities, while accelerating zero-emission solutions in hardest-to-reach segments of the transportation system.

Alongside the investments in zero-emission vehicles and infrastructure, the Budget includes $9.1 billion one-time General Fund and Bond funds over two years for transportation programs and projects that align with climate goals, advance public health and equity, and improve access to opportunity; further, the state will be competitively positioned to pursue significant federal investments from the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA).

Significant investments include:

Active Transportation: $750 million General Fund for projects to transform the state’s active transportation networks, improve equity, and support carbon-free transportation options, including funding for: Active Transportation Program projects, the Reconnecting Communities: Highways to Boulevards Pilot Program, and bicycle and pedestrian safety projects.>

High-Speed Rail and Transit: $4.2 billion Proposition 1A bond funds for High-Speed Rail, $3.25 billion General Fund for statewide, regional and local transit and rail projects, and $500 million General Fund for high-priority rail safety improvements.

Climate Adaption: $400 million General Fund for climate adaptation projects that support climate resiliency and reduce infrastructure risk.

The Budget is also proposing $380 million over two years to invest in long-duration storage projects, and $100 million in 2022-23 to advance the use and production of green hydrogen. According to the Budget, “Green hydrogen is critical to the decarbonization of California’s economy and achieving carbon neutrality.”

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/02/four-fast-chargers-every-50-miles-us-unveils-ev-infrastructure-plan/

About five years from now, a common complaint about electric vehicles—range anxiety—will be a thing of the past across much of the US.

Starting this year, the federal government will begin doling out $5 billion to states over five years to build a nationwide network of fast chargers. The plan initially focuses on the Interstate Highway System, directing states to build one charging station every 50 miles. Those stations must be capable of charging at least four EVs simultaneously at 150 kW.

To get credit for their Interstate build-out, states will have to install chargers that use the Combined Charging System, also known as CCS. With the exception of the Nissan Leaf, most models of EVs sold in the US can use this plug type. Though Teslas have their own plug type, the company is reportedly planning to offer an adapter that will allow at least some of its North American fleet to use CCS fast chargers. (It already offers that adapter in South Korea.)

You can find the proposed "Alternative Fuels Corridors" here:

https://afdc.energy.gov/stations/#/corridors

What asshats. They could have specified 4-1 CCS/Chademo, but no - they had to screw the drivers of the most popular budget EV. Humans really are incapable of doing anything right.

Back