Carrying EVSE Charging Cable in Vehicle

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaRailroader

I apologize in advance is this has been discussed many times before. I tried searching and couldn't find it. I picked up a 2022 Nissan Leaf SV with Tech Package on Saturday, so I am new to the Leaf though not new to EVs. We also have a Tesla Model 3 that we've owned for 3.5 years. The dealer showed me the hook in the rear cargo area for securing the charging cable bag during transport and there seems to be a lot of emphasis of always having this charging cable with you. I was planning on doing a more permanent install on the EVSE that came with the Leaf as I believe it will also charge my Tesla with the J-1772 adapter that I have.(I don't have an adapter to use the Mobile Tesla charger on the Leaf) What is the consensus, do people always have their EVSE with them? In 3.5 years of Tesla ownership, I used the mobile charging cable twice while on vacations during the first year of ownership but now we don't even pack it when we go on vacation. Charging options are readily available enough that resorting to level 1 charging doesn't seem worth it. One other detail, this car is intended to be a 2nd car that will be used as a commuter and rarely leave the Atlanta metro area.

With 3.5 years of ownership with the Model 3, you probably have far more experience with EVs compared to the Nissan salesman. I wouldn't worry about keeping the portable EVSE with you.

GaRailroader said:
I was planning on doing a more permanent install on the EVSE that came with the Leaf as I believe it will also charge my Tesla with the J-1772 adapter that I have. (I don't have an adapter to use the Mobile Tesla charger on the Leaf)
This is the way to go.
I have never carried my (portable) charger with me; in fact, it's what I use (in the garage) to charge my Leaf at night.
Enjoy your new Leaf!

I carry a small, portable EVSE that can fit in the gap between the wheel cover on the bottom left side when you are looking forward from the back with the hatch open. It's the same place where they put the air pump. The cover is small, but the space behind that cover goes far enough inside to almost fit a small child in. :lol:
The EVSE that Nissan gives you is so big, that's why it has it's own bag and clips for the back. If you want to recover that space, buying a small portable one is the way to go for emergencies. It can fit in the same space where the air pump is.

If you are going to install an EVSE, you have two routes. Install the EVSE for the Tesla and buy the adapter for the Leaf or install the EVSE for the Leaf (L2 EVSE) and buy the adapter for the Tesla. All depends on which one will be cheaper (if preferred), but both will work. :D

GaRailroader said:
I apologize in advance is this has been discussed many times before. I tried searching and couldn't find it. I picked up a 2022 Nissan Leaf SV with Tech Package on Saturday, so I am new to the Leaf though not new to EVs. We also have a Tesla Model 3 that we've owned for 3.5 years. The dealer showed me the hook in the rear cargo area for securing the charging cable bag during transport and there seems to be a lot of emphasis of always having this charging cable with you. I was planning on doing a more permanent install on the EVSE that came with the Leaf as I believe it will also charge my Tesla with the J-1772 adapter that I have.(I don't have an adapter to use the Mobile Tesla charger on the Leaf) What is the consensus, do people always have their EVSE with them? In 3.5 years of Tesla ownership, I used the mobile charging cable twice while on vacations during the first year of ownership but now we don't even pack it when we go on vacation. Charging options are readily available enough that resorting to level 1 charging doesn't seem worth it. One other detail, this car is intended to be a 2nd car that will be used as a commuter and rarely leave the Atlanta metro area.

These days you are more likely to be blocked by a parked ICE at a charging station than to have an outlet but no charging station available, so I use the same bag to carry a J-1772 extension cord, instead. It lets you charge from an adjacent parking space.

When I leased the 2012 LEAF I kept the Nissan unit in the car because "you never know". By the time I got the 2015 I was comfortable with my ability to plan and stay within the vehicle's capabilities. I'd never actually used the EVSE for emergencies and I'd rather have the cargo space. With newer, longer-range vehicles I think the utility of carrying an EVSE shrinks even further unless you're on a trip where you specifically intend to use RV camps, etc, for charging.

When I got my Leaf in 2018, I carried that portable EVSE in the back for a month, as a "just in case" condition. I pulled it out when charging in my garage. I was new to the EV world back then. After that, I stopped carrying the EVSE because I felt comfortable enough with knowing my car's capabilities and the availability of charging stations nearby and in the areas I visited.

I ended up mounting that portable EVSE on my garage wall and using it as my only charging station at home. Last year I ended up buying one of the AV surplus EVSE's on sale and using that as my new wall-mounted station. I still have my portable EVSE as a backup, but don't carry it in my car. I may carry it with me if I end on going on a long distance trip. I have yet to try out my Leaf on a long distance trip.

I found that the Nissan dealers tend to give out too much misinformation on EVs. When I got mine, the salesman told me to not use the 120V "trickle" charge because it was not good for the car. Yeah, OK... :roll:

Thank you all for the input and good ideas. I am just going to use the NIssan EVSE as my dedicated home charger for now as I already have the adapter to fit the Tesla. Knightmb indicated he found a small EVSE that would fit behind the interior panel where the tire kit is stored. I'd be interested in make and model of that one as that sounds like a good compromise insurance policy. I assume this is likely a level 1.

Thanks again!

GaRailroader said:
Thank you all for the input and good ideas. I am just going to use the NIssan EVSE as my dedicated home charger for now as I already have the adapter to fit the Tesla. Knightmb indicated he found a small EVSE that would fit behind the interior panel where the tire kit is stored. I'd be interested in make and model of that one as that sounds like a good compromise insurance policy. I assume this is likely a level 1.

Thanks again!
When it comes to portability, my own preference was the lower power 120v L-1 unit that came with earlier gen LEAFs but was converted to 240v by EVSEupgrade. It's physically smaller & lighter and the cord is not as heavy/bulky. The slightly lower peak amperage is a small trade-off, but that's not necessarily a bad attribute because it's more adaptable to 240v circuits that have lower capacity. That makes it more usable for residential situations where it's more common to find a 30 amp (24 amp max continuous) cloth dryer circuits. I kept a small plastic bucket with a snap lid that held multiple adapters and an extension cord, and acted as a weather protector. The key disadvantage to that nice 240v L2 unit that came with the current gen LEAF is the amperage draw is not adjustable to match the circuitry available.

GaRailroader said:
Knightmb indicated he found a small EVSE that would fit behind the interior panel where the tire kit is stored. I'd be interested in make and model of that one as that sounds like a good compromise insurance policy. I assume this is likely a level 1.

Thanks again!
I actually put one together from parts I ordered from China, but any of the L1 you see on Amazon or other sites are usually small enough to fit in the area with room to spare. I also keep a 50' outdoor extension cable, a 20,000 lb tow line with hooks @ 20' of length, air pump (took my OEM out and bought a nicer one), tire patch kit, screw in tow hook for the front of the Leaf, and a wheel change kit (with tire rod, tools, etc.) and I think that's everything... Anyway, there is a lot of space in there... :lol:

I installed a 14-50R, 50 amp 240 receptacle in the shed at our vacation cabin and permanently leave the Nissan EVSE plugged in there. I’ve used it to charge my friends Tesla Y a few times with his adaptor. At home I have a Eaton hard wired EVSE that I installed in 2015 that is used as the primary charger source.

I bought a second Nissan EVSE 120/240v on eBay for only $225 and keep it in the truck in the bag. In 5+ years of leaf ownership I’ve never used the one in the trunk but I keep it there in case. The ability to plug it into either 120 or 240 is an advantage.

knightmb said:
GaRailroader said:
Knightmb indicated he found a small EVSE that would fit behind the interior panel where the tire kit is stored. I'd be interested in make and model of that one as that sounds like a good compromise insurance policy. I assume this is likely a level 1.

Thanks again!
I actually put one together from parts I ordered from China, but any of the L1 you see on Amazon or other sites are usually small enough to fit in the area with room to spare. I also keep a 50' outdoor extension cable, a 20,000 lb tow line with hooks @ 20' of length, air pump (took my OEM out and bought a nicer one), tire patch kit, screw in tow hook for the front of the Leaf, and a wheel change kit (with tire rod, tools, etc.) and I think that's everything... Anyway, there is a lot of space in there... :lol:

Wow. I had no idea there was that much space back there. You are very prepared. I ended up buying a J-1772 adapter for our Tesla Mobile Connector, this way my wife doesn't need to mess with an adapter on her car and the Tesla cord seems more user friendly.(Smaller diameter, less stiff, much smaller brick). This also give me the ability to use a Tesla destination charger to charge the Leaf by taking my adapter with me.

Back